Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

What cone you using?

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2001, 03:26 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a K&N panel and am now looking at a cone now (after swearing they were bad news!)

Not sure which one to go for... I used to have a K&N cone on a previous car and it was not too bad. Looking at the air intake on the scoob; its pretty poor so I was thinking of a cone with a Stuart Knight scoop to direct the air in.

Question is, what's everyone using and what improvements have you seen?

MY96, Magnex twin dump DP, Mid with resonator and BB. SUL.

MB
Old 24 August 2001, 03:36 PM
Octane Man
Scooby Regular

Talking

MB..

I had a HKS Induction kit on my 95 WRX and I wasn't that impressed.. It did feel a bit better on response but on the whole all I gained was a whoosh noise from the engine bay. The air routing on the scoob sin't great and I made an aluminium box to block off the hot air from around the engine. Therefore the HKS mushroom filter sucked cool air from the small hole available. Maybe the Bonnet Scoop that routes cooler air inside would help.

I'm considering buying an ITG Filter Panel or maybe K&N filter panel.

O.M.

Old 26 August 2001, 12:05 AM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting worried that you'll be beaten on the rollers mark!
Old 26 August 2001, 11:30 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Cheers OM,

I have a panel K&N, quite new, so I will let you know if I buy a cone.

Anyone else???

MB

Old 27 August 2001, 01:23 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Wink

Feeling a bit powershy!

Not really, I heard a scoob with one go past the other day, and it sounded quite beefy...

Must get one!

Old 27 August 2001, 01:56 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The K&N 57i I fitted to my MY00 last week suggested that the gains were at least 5bhp, and more on powerful/modded cars. I think Stef said he got 8bhp from a K&N although the RR figures are always difficult to interpret. With PPP my car feels PDQ - I dream that it might be pusing 260bhp, and with DP maybe I'll get 275bhp? Having said that I'll prob dyno it and get 200 or something. But it feels quick and is a hoot to drive.

The K&N is quite loud but I haven't heard another induction kit. I wondered if it was a bit more reluctant off boost and if it was spooling up a little later, but the spool up ramp now feels more agresssive and it absolutely flies all the way up to 7000rpm now - have to watch that limiter whereas before PPP & induction I was changing at 5500rpm and hardly ever hit the limiter.

In first and second gear in particular I now need to be very quick to catch the change in time! In third you really have to watch it as you can be very illegal very very quickly.
Old 27 August 2001, 04:54 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
I have a pipercross cone from my last car, an sti 98. I was going to fit to my new P1, but was told on here that a sensor go if i fitted in on to a 00 or 01 (old shape) car.
I really want to put a cone back on, just even for the noise
Now if i put the pipercross back on will the car be ok, or can i expect problems, and how will subaru react if i have a claim down the line!
Or line John Banks, shall i put a k&n on???
Old 27 August 2001, 07:04 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I fitted my K&N to MY00 in the knowledge that on Scoobynet/IWOC at least there were no known MAF failures with this kit. Others have done similar and not run into problems AFAIK, some running them for 40000 miles + apparently.
Old 27 August 2001, 08:01 PM
FamousCoops
Scooby Regular

Question

has anyone here had any experience with the RAM AIR induction kit i'm looking to change the filter on my94 legacy turbo but there are a few to choose from?
Old 28 August 2001, 12:34 AM
ademid
Scooby Regular

I first fitted a pipercross cone on my 95 uk spec, I noticed better pull at high revs and significant increase in noise. But after hearing all the rumours about oil from the filter killing your MAF I decided to go for a Blitz high flow cone instead Turned out to be a great move seemed to pull better at lower rpm as well as the top end. With a noise that is simply awesome! It may be a fair bit more pricey but well worth the extra cash.
Old 28 August 2001, 12:47 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've recently changed from using a Ram-Air filter element in a standard air-box to a K&N57i on an MY99.

I can't tell much difference in the actual induction noise, but it has certainly liberated much more turbo-whine & wastegate noise (why??). I was surprised how much, but have now got used to it, and more importantly so has my wife-to-be!

I think it's slightly more responsive than before. But I mainly changed mine due to having used K&N on all my previous cars of various types and heard all the horror stories of MAF contamination due to oil in the Ram-Air filter.

When I removed the air-box, the bottom of the filter was indeed a gooey-mess.

K&N57i - Good, & cheap compared to all the over-priced jap stuff.
Old 28 August 2001, 09:38 AM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

I use a piper X with no oil spray. I seem to remember they recommend it for heavy particle contamination.

I've had no problems yet,love the noise & slight increase in power maybe, and does seem more aggressive.
Old 28 August 2001, 10:29 AM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark, How's it?

I have used verious ones now, I know have a APS induc which is a bit of a pain to fit but sit in the arch, you have to take out the resi also. the filter is kept cool, out of the engine bay and not low down in the arch protecting it from getting wet. the cone fitted as part of the kit is K&N.

Check it out on NAM

See yeah

Moe
Old 28 August 2001, 01:47 PM
Fat Boy Slim
Scooby Regular

I fitted a K&N cone a few months ago after the discussions on this board, and have not looked back since..... I must have done a good 5-6000 miles since it was fitted with no problems what so ever.....Easy to fit, turbo spools up quicker, nice noise from the bonnet

Dunk

Old 28 August 2001, 09:27 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks all,

I think I will look at the K&N (£98 best price) Anyone know where I can get one from?

Also, anyone got a price on the Blitz? I don't like the sound of "high flow" I'm a bit suspicious of particle sizes etc, comes from being a clanky

Moe, cheers I will be in touch, I get the feeling you are up to some major mods!

MB
Old 29 August 2001, 08:19 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

£98! That's too much for a K&N57i...

I paid £89, only coz I was lazy and a mate ordered it for me coz he works at my local Halfords.

I've seen them advertised for £79, in various mags.
Old 29 August 2001, 09:06 AM
ademid
Scooby Regular

The Blitz cone is £145 (10% discount if your an SIDC member from racelogic) You can read all about if your worried about large particles at blitz-uk.co.uk. Or speak to racelogic on 01280 823803.

Ade
Old 29 August 2001, 09:42 AM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by bennetm:
<B>Thanks all,

Moe, cheers I will be in touch, I get the feeling you are up to some major mods!

MB[/quote]

Yeah! over the last two weeks I have done the following:

APS FMIC
APS Induc
APS Dump Valve
AP 4 pot brakes
NITO SPORT full carbon interior and 4 x defi gauges, 2 on steering coloum, 2 on a double A piller pod.

ProDrive Prof Suspension / a bit harder than the P1. Power S Bump Steer

Turbo inlet pipe (Samco)

Blitz Nur Spec R Ex system.

Link ECU,

480 injectors

Water Injection

That's it for now!

Moe

Old 29 August 2001, 10:36 AM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

I have just got a Mac's Power/GGS induction kit for my 99MY, and am very impressed with it. It's bigger than the std K&N 57i kit, but is still a K&N. It comes with an STI trumpet too, which is meant to smooth the flow of air into the filter. Mac's Power will give a MAF guarantee on this filter too.

Having been forewarned, I was surprised at how little noise the filter made. I thought it would be a lot noisier than it was.

I noticed the improvement in throttle response and top end, and also recorded the highest mpg I have ever got out of the car - 26.5mpg (yes I have heavy feet). I'll get it dyno'd soon, and we can compare with the std K&N.

I've got some pictures of it on my site if you want to look.
Old 29 August 2001, 09:09 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks again all,

Gone for the K&N...

Moe, you won the lottery?! Would have nipped in and bought some bits but im too poor! That thing must be like a goddamn rocket ship now!!!!!!!! Fancy the RR in B'mth?!

MB

Old 30 August 2001, 08:14 AM
NM
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by bennetm:
<B>Thanks again all,

Gone for the K&N...

Moe, you won the lottery?! Would have nipped in and bought some bits but im too poor! That thing must be like a goddamn rocket ship now!!!!!!!! Fancy the RR in B'mth?!

MB

[/quote]

Can you report on your findings please mate as I am also looking to add a KNi to my scoob. Has the KNi added anything on to your insurance cost ???

Cheers

Neal
Old 30 August 2001, 02:22 PM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

Mark,

Your turn to come up m8, there is going to be a no excuse RR at PE in November, going to be a big one!

Come on! you know you want to, you could come up the night before and stay round mine I could show you the South End cruise or Chelsea which is pretty mad.

Let me know would be fun!

Moe