Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Laggggggggggggggggg ???????????

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2001, 08:31 PM
FamousCoops
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a 93legacy turbo with a superchip fitted i bought with the front ripped off anyway i've rebuilt it (it was stood for 8 months) and have been driving it for a few days now it goes like a mother f****r so much fun. But it seems to lag or something if you boot it to the floor it almost cuts out unless you accelerate smoothly if you know what i mean can anyone give me any ideas what the problem might be thanks
Old 29 August 2001, 01:40 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Sounds like the car is hitting the overboost safety cut. Do you have a meter in the car to monitor the boost level?
Old 29 August 2001, 02:58 AM
submannz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Install anti-lag
Old 29 August 2001, 06:53 AM
Richiehash
Scooby Regular

Talking

if you mean it feels quicker when you feed in the accelerator slowly rather thean stomping on it, i think this is due to the mixture being closer to ideal and therefore making more power than just stomping it which will cause large overfuelling and less power.
if its a problem this can be caused by blocked/dirty air filter or a dodgy lamda sensor which will cause rich running just b4 boost
hope this helps
Old 29 August 2001, 06:58 AM
Richiehash
Scooby Regular

Talking

try an ecu reset to see if you get a lamda error code(same proc. as a preza)
richie
Old 29 August 2001, 07:02 AM
Richiehash
Scooby Regular

Talking

also another possibility is dodgy spark plugs
did you rebuild the engine or just sevice it?
what did you renew during the service?
more info=easier diagnosis
richie
Old 29 August 2001, 07:57 AM
FamousCoops
Scooby Regular

I have totally serviced engine
new plugs
new oil/ filter
cam belt
I dont have a boost guage where can i get one? and how do you reset the ECU and is ok to do?
Richiehash you said it perfectley (it feels quicker when you feed in the accelerator slowly rather than stomping on it)
Thanks
Old 29 August 2001, 09:55 AM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

Get a boost gauge, if you have a Super chip fitted you will have an additional ABC box which sits next to the ECU which fools the ecu in seeing 18psi max. The over boost cut of will not work this is taken away by the superchip box.

A Scoob dealer had fitted my Super chip (taken out now) I didn't have a boost gauge either. They read the boost from the ECU which of course is showing 18psi as it is fooled. You need to take the reading from the inlet manifold, this is what a gauge would do for you.

When I fitted a gauge it showed I was hitting 25 psi, yeah it was fast as hell, up to 5000 rpm when it was detting and the car was retarding it's ignition. I am very lucky to still have an engine.

If you have a bleed valve turn it right in until you have a boost gauge.

Another thing to watch out for lets say you have the car set up for 18psi in the summer (22c+) when you get to winter or late night early morning you boost will increase some times upto 23psi again more det & danger.

I would get an EVC/unichip or Link/motec

More control, easy to sell on, (I lost 450 on my chip that no one wants)

When you say it almost cuts out that is probably your ecu retarding the ignition because it's detting it's nuts of because of the high boost and not enough advance on timing and fuel issues.

hope that helps

Moe
Old 29 August 2001, 12:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm wondering if this is the "superchips + subaru = disaster".
Sounds like you need to take your car to a rolling road, it could be over boosting but not sure, one thing that is sure is that superchips aint really the one to put in a subaru.....

Tony
Old 29 August 2001, 09:09 PM
Richiehash
Scooby Regular

Talking

do a search on ecu resets. the procedure is the same as the impreza.same connections under the dash the lot.
(still favouring over fuelling on the transition from n/a to boost bogging the engine)
as an aside whats the economy like ?
richie
Old 29 August 2001, 09:10 PM
FamousCoops
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info i will get a boost guage ,i changed the air filter today for the ram air induction kit what a difference it's made no lag or anything fantastic sound to boot.... ps what should the max psi for the turbo be, thanks
Old 29 August 2001, 10:00 PM
FamousCoops
Scooby Regular

thanks for the info i will get a boost guage ,what is the max boost psi you can safley go to? I changed the air filter today for the ram air kit what a difference it's made no holding back(ie lag)+ more low down torque cheers.
Old 30 August 2001, 02:31 PM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

Stick with 17psi and make sure you get that as a peak in 5th gear. so lets say your on the motorway (10 min's & clear road!) doing around 4k rpm, let off the loud pedal than push it right down and watch the needle should peak at 17psi and hold around 15-16.

Hope your atleast running on SUL!

Be careful and remember the few things I mentioned in my last post

Moe