Old 02 September 2001, 08:44 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Arrow

ok ok ok!!!

Big uply Thank you to all at SIDC
Stef, ur a star m8 + Pete C

great to see old friends and meet new ones by putting faces to names at last, Becky+ScoobyChick lol
the Nottm Pose Drive down was fine picking up ppl on the way TNX u lot for leaving nottm at 6am 4 me so i (we) got in at 7:20am.

RIGHT!
Trax session 9am! I was on it!!
i loved it wanted to do more, really thought the SilverStone National track was great Fast/slow/left bends/right bends... its got the lot, well worth trying it if you've not don't it!

thanks Silverstone staff as well!!!

MOAN TIME!!!!
(i'm good at moaning as MUM + DAD say!)

we were all at the briefing at 7:55am! and everyone else on track too will have had the same instructions given!
fair enough!
they told us take it steady etc your in ££££££££ car!!! your driving home in them (most i would have thought)they told us they had put CONES out so we could get round the track as safely and easily as possible! which helps a lot.
a cane to break (red)
a cone to enter the bend (yellow)
a cone on the line of the bend (yellow)
a cone on the line of the exit to take from the bend (green)

helped me a lot, made it quick and easy to get round etc!!!!

SO why oh why oh why were they still ppl that were using all the track, then found it hard on the corners to enter them and exite them!!!!!
the cones were there to help you! thats what they were for! if you entre a corner too soon (ie b4 the entry cone and not on line with it) you won't get round very well.

this happened through out the day and not just with the Scooby session!

2nd Nu'B afternoon session!!!
what a catastrafy that was!
i feel 4 the P1 driver!!!! but on the end of the warm upo lap the Ford Puma Pace car went in, the P1 came outta the lasdt bend b4 the pit straight! OVER TOOK at least FOUR cars (that i could see, i sat in the main stand!)on the RIGHT, LIKE a mad man! the group i was with all said thats not right! hes going too fast and i bet he'll lose it some where!!!
No sooner had we said that THE RED FLAG came out!!!!!

all car were brought back in, seesion ended!
WHY????
taht P1 had lost it on the 1st bend!!!!!!!!!!!!
need i say any more????????????

just glad i didn't get a place in the time slot!

Phil
Old 03 September 2001, 12:08 AM
Dave Wilson
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The silver on with the quiet exhaust (I think it was silver, haven't watched the footage back yet) was out on his own for most of the session. The car looked VERY graceful as it went round Luffield. I am a fan of big exhausts but this quiet one was very nice because is just got up and went without making a noise about it. Very nice.

As for the video footage I need to replace my faulty capture card before I do anything. Keep an eye out here and if nothing appears send me an email in a months' time.
Old 03 September 2001, 08:07 AM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I too was a bit miffed I waited four hours for that session and only got a run up the start finish straight, I was behind the P1 and saw the crash first hand and it wasnt pretty, it will have me thinking hard about doing another trackday as it can go disastrously wrong so easily.

Jake
Old 03 September 2001, 08:23 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Phil?????????????

You swallowed the Felstead Pill ???

Oh yeah and the full GP track is lots more fun...........

Specially when it's full of wannabe Saafs.. trying to be a bit quick

Richard
Old 03 September 2001, 08:24 AM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

Great day,

Loved every part of it I didn't see the P1 insident however do feel for you mate. Did see the 993 Turbo get written off on PIT straight. Guy must have been gutted, caught the curb coming out the last corner before Pit straight car spun round and bang £55,000+ porsche gone. I hope he was ensured.

Thanks to Stef & SIDC and of course Silverstone magical day!
Old 03 September 2001, 08:36 AM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

First off, massive thanks to Stef, SIDC,and Northampton Tyres for a brilliant effort in organisation and support. Time and effort much appreciated fellas.

Secondly, I'm glad the P1 fella was OK, after all people cannot be replaced.

The following I think reflect how myself and some of the other novices felt after only a parade lap around Silverstone.

Trax is about the opportunity for you personally to take the car of your choice round Silverstone, with fellow Club members, with good feeling and respect. The key word here is responsibility, upon yourself and for fellow SIDC members. The briefing was there to hammer home the safety guidelines of what to do and what not to do, but overall enjoy the experience. Many people in that 'novice' session had never experienced a track session before, and after Sunday may not want to now. A lot of people were not particularly pleased that the basic safety rules were broken. I remember the words, "drive to your capabilities and to the car's capabilities". This is one instance where this was not conducted, and hence it ruined for many an achievement which would have been memorable.
Old 03 September 2001, 09:03 AM
Nick V
Scooby Newbie

Phil, totally agree with you, and as I said in a previous post, how glad I am that I never bought a track pass - although I wouldn't have been able to go out with you lot

The trouble is that too many people think that they are invincable - or Schuey - when they get on the track, and as soon as they leave the pit lane, the red mist comes down and they are off in their own little world. They then push the car more and more cos they know no better until the inevitable happens.

I've done a number of track days myself, but still consider myself a novice, and have been on the track with Scoobys and Skylines, but one thing comes to mind.
I have noticed that some of the drivers of these vehicles think that 'cos they have 4wd and traction control etc, they can push their cars to the limit, but the car will dig them out of the cr@p should it go pear shaped - I've even had it said by one or two of these drivers that I shouldn't be able to push so hard with only 2wd. Makes you wonder how they judge their driving skills! Well, it doesn't work like that as was demonstrated at Goodwood a couple of months ago when a bloke wrote off his Skyline, and possibly (I wouldn't want to make an unfair judgement) yesterday with the P1.

Hopefully some lessons will be learnt from this - I doubt it - but at least this time there were no injuries apart from pride and ego.

Phew, and on a positive note, it was good to meet some of you Scooby lot - you are quite nice and the cars aren't that bad really (even my wife wants to get rid of her RS and get one )

Would be good to have a joint RSOC/SIDC day with track included, so maybe in the future....

Cheers, Nick

[This message has been edited by Nick V (edited 03 September 2001).]
Old 03 September 2001, 09:32 AM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

i did not go phil as you no ,was it better than the day at donnington.
Old 03 September 2001, 09:44 AM
Trouser
Scooby Regular

Always truly sorry to see a beautiful car like that, so severely damaged. i echo the sentiments of everyone.. As long as the people concerned can walk away from it.. thats the most important thing.

Don't be put off, newby drivers!. I have only ever done three track events, and they're all non SIDC ones. It IS a bit daunting at first, but thankfully flying cars are not hugely common at these do's. Like Phil says, just do EXACTLY what they tell you at the briefing, and you won't go far wrong. There's always someone wanting to drive a little bit too quickly... but you'll find that on the road as well. Just keep checking your mirrors... and let them go!

well done to the organisers for a top day!

cheers

Trouser

Ps... i would have driven, but i didn't want to deafen the good people on the grandstand!!
Old 03 September 2001, 09:47 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I thought the organization was poor (not by Stef and SIDC, who as usual did a sterling job), but by the Trax organizers. I was out in the first session, and we were so bunched up it was unreal. I'm certainly no trackday fiend, but I couldn't pass anyone easily and if I dropped back I ended up catching up within a few bends. I thought it was too dangerous, so I didn't bother going out in the second session I'd booked (which, as it turned out, was red flagged on the first lap).

It was only my third track day, but although the other two were open session they were much better organized (e.g. letting cars out one-at-a-time to allow gaps between them).

Not sure about the 'grand prix quality' marshalls either -- somebody left their P1 broadside on the straight and I didn't see any yellow flags. I did a Bookatrack day at Bentwaters last weekend, and if you even looked like you were going to spin they'd start waving some yellows to warn those following.

On the plus side, it was good to meet lots of people (too many to name, although Phil should sort his helmet out ), but the whole event was a bit too much "show 'n' shine" for me (I get the bucket and sponge out at least four times a year).
Old 03 September 2001, 09:48 AM
Simon Insull
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

First of all big thanks to Stef, SIDC and TN for all organisation, help and support at TRAX. Great turnout and good to put more faces to names.

Good track, some good driving, some bad, overall too many 'max power' types, annoyed at having 2nd newbie session cut v. short but luckily managed to get on track again later.

Will maybe stick to SIDC days only.

Simon

[This message has been edited by Simon Insull (edited 03 September 2001).]
Old 03 September 2001, 09:51 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

I wasn't in the newbie sessions but must agree that track manners were very poor. I suspect that this is due to the 'must get around quick cos it's only 20 mins' attitude.

Things I saw, Scooby diving past loads of people under braking into the hairpin, then locking up and almost taking another Scooby out (and yes I know his reg plate).

STi trying to undertake me on the right out of the complex, as I put the right indicator on!

Some fool trying to overtake me as I pulled out to overtake someone in front who had indicated.

General brain fade in a few other areas, in the end I just let the idiots past and found myself some space on track.

For those who were put off, try an SIDC open pitlane session, it's much, much better, honest!

Greg
Old 03 September 2001, 09:52 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Things you will not find on SIDC track days...

1) Tolerance of overtaking on either side.
2) Tolerance of drivers not using their mirrors
3) Tolerance of drivers not indicating, moving across and SLOWING to let faster cars overtake safely
4) Setting a time limit on track time
5) No instruction available

With regards to number 4, this is the root cause of everything. If there are 15 minutes available, people will try to cram the most laps possible into the time, irrespective of their brakes/tyres/driving ability.

Please do not compare Trax track time with a properly organised club track day. If this was your first time on track, forget everything that happened and come to a propper track day. They are much safer, you will learn more and you will have a far more relaxed/enjoyable time.

Old 03 September 2001, 10:11 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I must say a big thanks to Mark and the guys from the mobile track support unit. I honestly don't know how we'd manage without them.

If you ever do a non-SIDC day, you'll see it's a right royal pain to pump tyres from around 30 psi to around 45 with a foot pump, and if you wear your track tyres out it's time to go home.
Old 03 September 2001, 10:12 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well done SIDC for a great day, good work again from Stef even with his hangover it seemed

As for the track driving I have to completly agree with Pete as his points are right.

SIDC Track days = Professional high standards of any track day.
Old 03 September 2001, 10:45 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

Phil it was nice to meet you too I had an excellent day, loads of laughs, met some really nice new people and saw some really nice old ones too (Matt )

From where I sat the track sessions looked too crowded, some with too many idiots making some stupid moves; braking/lifting off on the apex, undertaking, racing etc. The SIDC track days I've been to seem far better organised with proper tuition/instruction available to people, but then what would I know....I'm only a girl

Sal
Old 03 September 2001, 10:45 AM
Dave Wilson
Scooby Newbie

[not a scooby owner] I got some video footage of the Scooby's in Luffield on the first session if anyone's interested.

I must say, there only seemed to be a couple of people putting their foot down - I think a (silver?) one with a quiet exhaust seemed quickest.

Last comment - I've done a lot of track days and only ever spun the car / gone off twice. If you approach it within your limits then it's perfectly safe. Hate to say it but obviously the drivers of that Scooby & Porsche didn't know their cars.
Old 03 September 2001, 10:51 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

hmm, sounds like trax was not too much fun for most of us scooby people, and others to boot. can't really comment cos I was not there

Think that Pete Croney's post sums up thing quite nicely, do a proper SIDC trackday (eg; brands hatch in november) to see how it should be done.

I've not been on track (yet) but might one day. But I did spectate and passenger at the SIDC event at BH last year and it did show how a trackday should be.
Old 03 September 2001, 10:54 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dave Wilson:
<B>[not a scooby owner] I got some video footage of the Scooby's in Luffield on the first session if anyone's interested.

I must say, there only seemed to be a couple of people putting their foot down - I think a (silver?) one with a quiet exhaust seemed quickest.[/quote]

Definitely interested in seeing the vid footage. I have a silver one with a standard (quiet) exhaust <I>(at the moment... )</I> but I doubt it was me somehow. There were so many silver ones that when I walked back down the pitlane to my car I couldn't work out which one it was

Old 03 September 2001, 02:53 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the comments guys.
It didn't seem as well organised as previous events but it has changed organisers so it was their first one.
We attned TRAX as a club to increase people's awareness of the club. There is no doubt that people enjoyed watching the Scoobs on track more than the normal sessions. Some of the comments from people as they walked passed the stand were highly commendable.
We will continue to attend TRAX as it gives people a chance to drive round Silverstone and overall is a good day out, especially if you only pay a fiver for your tickets!
We will be more organised for next year and have a gazebo and flags and things.
I also will probably go to bed the night before!

Stef.
Old 03 September 2001, 02:55 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

I've started a new thread to continue any TRAX stuff.
Old 03 September 2001, 06:33 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

Dave Wilson,i might of beem me!!!!!!!!
Silver STi 5 ,gold wheels and big wing
I was out on my own for ages.
You have mail!!

Cheers
DArren
Old 03 September 2001, 07:03 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

Agree with pete on this.

i havent bothered with Trax for the reasons in this post. It simply isnt a safe environment to take such a quick car out on track.

SIDC days are superb, in every respect with the likes of Rob Mac keeping his beady eye out for anyone being an idiot.

There are plenty of other very well run days to have a go at too with the likes of Donington's own trackzone days. I did one of those this year with just 5 other cars on track all day! cost me £100 as usual.

People like easytrack run great events too, cost a little more but still excellent standards.

I avoid these play to the crowds type events like the plague because they always end up as one great big mess and are never good value. I dont even consider trax a track day at all, its more a show, which is fine of course, just not my scene man.

Do yourselves a favour and go do a proper track day with the likes of the SIDC, it's a fantastic experience and you will be safe from others being ********.
Old 03 September 2001, 07:40 PM
Scooby Wagon
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the hard work everyone at the club put in, unfortunatly I also was in the second newbies session & had to follow the second pace car straight into the pits, did manage to get back out but not with the Scoobs.
Spectated at Croft on the SIDC only day had a fantastic time and was so impressed by the safety aspect of the whole day, thought I would go to Trax.
Not put me off though, I will try to do Croft if there is another chance.
Never done a full SIDC day yet but from what I saw I must aggree with Pete.

Thanks for all the time everyone put into the Trax event, would of beeen a great day
Paul
Old 03 September 2001, 07:41 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

I was up in the stand by the Woodcote complex and watched a bunch of you guys go out later in the afternoon, must have been around half 4. Anyways, it was fun watching and especially to the guy in the sonic blue machine with the mudfalps giving it some good time power drifting through the corner in front of the stand, everyone cheered *lol*

I must admit though, there was some dangerous driving, especially in a later race when a guy in a green Lotus Carlton was being very agressive through the corners and cutting people up quite badly.

Still, was fun to watch, shame about the P1, and the 911, but there you go
Old 04 September 2001, 07:46 AM
Ted Ed
Scooby Regular

My 2peneth worth

Big thanks to Stef it was my first time at Trax and with the wife we really enjoyed it. Looking forward to next year.

The P1 incident... we were sitting in the racing members stand and watched as the pace car dropped off and let the cars go down the straight...the P1 who was 4th pulled out and overtook 3 cars on the wrong side of the track for the right hander.
We could,nt see the crash but 10 seconds later the red flags were out and you did,nt have to be Einstein to figure it out.
As much as I feel for the guy I thought his driving was crazy....
1st lap...cold tyres...what a total disapointment for all of the other drivers in the session.
Its a stern lesson to listen to the track briefings especially about cornering and using the cones to guide you through the line of the corner....
We moved to the P1 crash corner to watch a Scooby experienced session and even some of these guys did,nt seem to use the green exit cone prefering to hug the nearside roung the corner making it more difficult for themselves.
Having said all that I was most impressed with the SIDC Scooby driving and watching some of the public sessions of who's car is the fastest EVO vs VR6 vs etc etc.. it was amazing there was'nt any more crashes.
The club drivers had more respect for others on the track...

A great day tho
Thanks
Simon+Paula

Old 04 September 2001, 05:42 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Arrow

tnx Simon you put it better than i did!

Phil