Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

2 major problems?? possibly diff / gearbox??

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2019, 08:25 PM
JackWRX94
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 major problems?? possibly diff / gearbox??

Evening all, I hope you've all had a great christmas and boxing day

i'm hoping you can help, after owning my impreza for nearly a year and fixing countless problems theres 2 that are not only hard to diagnose but also extremely annoying

Binding while going left on acceleration? when putting your foot down in either a straight line or going left ( NOT RIGHT ) the steering wheel feels like its vibrating / binding and makes an awful metal on metal sound, the steering will grab and wont let you steer back unless you take your foot off of the accelerator... i've been told it could be driveshaft/wheel bearing/ universal joint <<< ( the universal joint moves freely ) and to note you can drive left or in a straight line at any speed as long as your not flooring it the issue doesn't occur???

WHINING like a super charger??? ever since i went drag racing at santa pod, after my second run theres been a very loud noise, which sounds like a boost leak or air leak, its not a boost leak as it still boosts as it should, no loss in power, its not the blow off valve as I took that off and blanked it and its still making the same noise... the faster you go the louder the noise gets, when you take your foot off of the accelerator it sounds like a super charger whining down, its been getting louder since it first happened.. youtube link below

could the two possibly be related??

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated as not only is it extremely irritating but also takes away the driving experience. THANK YOU
Old 27 December 2019, 06:38 PM
Croney
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hard to tell in the video, but sounds like a noisy turbo to me, gearbox drivetrain whines usualy stay consistant with gear/wheel speed
Old 27 December 2019, 06:41 PM
JackWRX94
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the reply, the noise can sometimes be really loud and consistent, other times its not there at all, or really quiet. might be worth replacing as you can pick up TD04's for peanuts... any idea about the steering issue? thanks!
Old 28 December 2019, 12:35 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

As already said hard to hear in the video check your up pipe gasket.
Old 28 December 2019, 09:23 PM
Staurossim
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi!I have the same problem on my sti when turning right and on straight line.metal to metal sound and whine.I removed the outer front right joint and this was the problem.I am about to change it!
Old 28 December 2019, 09:55 PM
JackWRX94
Scooby Newbie

Hi! when you say outer right front joint what are you talking about exactly? the CV joint? the universal joint?? thanks
Old 28 December 2019, 09:55 PM
JackWRX94
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Staurossim
Hi!I have the same problem on my sti when turning right and on straight line.metal to metal sound and whine.I removed the outer front right joint and this was the problem.I am about to change it!

​​​​​​
Hi! when you say outer right front joint what are you talking about exactly? the CV joint? the universal joint?? thanks
Old 29 December 2019, 10:06 AM
Staurossim
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry i was not clear.Is cv axle front right outer joint with product code 28393FE070 for my car.When I removed it,it had some big scars between the inner dents that the bearing was siting and rotating in the joint, causing the whine.Big loud whine when turning right,a whine when on straight line and when turning left no whine at all.

Last edited by Staurossim; 29 December 2019 at 10:38 AM.