Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Netgear Rangemax DG834N

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2006, 07:06 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Netgear Rangemax DG834N

Anybody got one? Hovering over the buy button on Amazon now , comes with a free laptop adapter for £96 . trouble is I keep reading conflicting reviews about it , some love it, some cant get it work properly. Been wanting to replace my old DG834 for months now , as I need the extra range and faster wireless , plus my network grinds to a halt when my 2 daughters log on as well (2 laptops and a desktop) Any opinions from the SN font of knowledge
Old 20 December 2006, 07:22 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just set this up for a friend of mine. No trouble at all getting it running. Only uses WPA security as WEP has holes in it.

Like all wireless units setup, to a degree, can depend on external factors like how many other people in your neighbourhood are trying to transmit/receive on channels 6/11, etc. However if you take the time to set it up right then it works fine.

Golden rule is to make sure all elements of your network are working correctly/as you intended BEFORE layering on the security features. You would be surprised how many people get caught out by this.

Hope this helps.

WB
Old 20 December 2006, 07:40 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that
I don't pick up any other networks now , but with the extended range I might , so I will look out for that . I use WPA now (pre shared access key)so will continue to use it with the Rangemax.
Old 20 December 2006, 09:43 PM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

Been running one of these at home for the past 4 months.
No problems with it at all, very easy to setup. Works great as a wireless unit or when using CAT5 cable.
Old 21 December 2006, 02:11 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Davey P
Been running one of these at home for the past 4 months.
No problems with it at all, very easy to setup. Works great as a wireless unit or when using CAT5 cable.
Thanks ... ordered
Old 21 December 2006, 04:46 PM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

Got one too - only thing that is a bit poor that I have noticed is if I want to connect to the pc which is using a wireless link - I have to log into it first as the netgear wireless applet only launches on a user log in...[ i.e cant just turn it on and then connect to it via remote desktop ] Rather than being on like a windows service.... Otherwise no problems
Old 27 December 2006, 05:49 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Router arrived today installed in 5 Min's ... But wireless speed is still only 54 MBPS , I cant use the laptop adapter(wn511b) because it doesn't fit my laptop , it as a new type of PCI slot
Also my wireless range hasn't improved , anyway to tweak this ? And what do I need to get to improve the wireless speed ? some kind of pre Draft N adapter maybe ?

Help .........
Old 27 December 2006, 06:03 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

KSUB,

You should have bought the wireless USB type dongle (WN111, I think). This is capable of running at 108mbps.

With one of these you set the router to run at either auto 108 or up to 270mpbs (whatever it says in the settings) and you are off. Bear in mind that any other wireless device that cannot run at 108mpbs would get "locked out" if you set the router to run at full speed. I am using one of these dongles right now so I know it works.

Alternative solution is that if signal transmission is poor in your house (say you have thick walls, etc) then you could always go for one of Netgear's 108mbps poweline products (see their website for details).

HTH.

WB
Old 27 December 2006, 07:55 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Thanks WB

Not sure what to do now , nobody makes a PCI card to fit my laptop , And the USB dongle is more expense , plus I dont want to lock the daughters laptop out of the network as hers runs on b/g . It might have to go back
Old 27 December 2006, 11:16 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Ksub,

I agree the dongles are not cheap. Have a search on the net and you might find them going for cheaper than you thought (try Ebuyer, for example).

If you do then buy a couple. Your daughter's PC can then run at 108mbps by you switching off the internal card and using a dongle instead. Alternatively send the router back and buy the version that has a single dongle included in the package price.

All you then have to do is find another as I have said above.

Don't give up on this; its good kit when its up and running well. I stream video across my network to my laptop using a dongle; works well.

HTH.

WB
Old 28 December 2006, 10:13 AM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Been using the router a few hours now and its far more stable than the old DG834, runs faster as well , so I shall keep it , apparently my laptop takes the new express card and no one makes a wireless card for these yet , so Ill hang on till they do , its no big deal running at 54mbps at the moment, might sell the WG511N on eBay .
Old 28 December 2006, 09:37 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Excellent. Good luck with it.

WB