Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

NTL Broadband + Netgear WGR614v2 router...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2004, 05:35 PM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NTL Broadband + Netgear WGR614v2 router...Help!

Hello everyone,

I am having problems and wondered if any of you might be able to help.
I recently had NTL broadband installed and access it via a USB-ethernet connector (pc doesnt have a NIC card).
I purchased a netgear WGR614v2 router and WG311 PCI wireless card.
I can now access the router via the wireless card, but the router cannot access the broadband connection. Its via a set top box btw.
I understand that the set top box only recognises one MAC address at a time, so will not recognise the router. It recognises the usb-ethernet connector though.
I have tried to spoof the MAC adrress of the router to the usb-ethernet connector, but the router still fails to connect to the internet.

Has anyone any experience of this equipment, or a similar problem?

Thanks
Phil.
Old 22 April 2004, 08:55 AM
nib
Scooby Regular

Question Any solutions?

Phil

I am in a similar position I was wondering if you or anyone else has found a solution for this problem?

NiB.
Old 22 April 2004, 09:29 AM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Did you cycle the power on the STB after connecting the router to it?

How does the router connect to the STB? If its a network (CAT5 type) cable, is it wired "straight through" or crossover?
Old 22 April 2004, 09:48 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

You're not pluggin in the usb and ethernet into the modem at the same time are you. If you do, it will default to the usb connection and disable the ethernet. Just a thought....
Old 22 April 2004, 01:26 PM
nib
Scooby Regular

Iain: The STB acts as a modem. Thus there is no USB output.
Fig: Cycling power - does that mean turn off then on? I am not sure how to tell how the STB is connected!

The NTL set top box has a LAN output which connects to the back of the wireless router (U.S. Robotics 100mb Wireless Turbo Access Point + Router). The Router's LED flashes away.

The laptop connects to the router via wireless card, however there is no internet connection.

As Phil suggests the NTL connection gives a specific address to the PC connection and from what I am aware of the router needs to mimic this in order to connect to the internet. I just do not how to do this or where to find my specific information be it MAC address or other info.

I understand it is possible but NTL do not condone it or help in setup!
Old 22 April 2004, 02:48 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

NTL services "lock-on" to the first mac address attached to the service as you described.. All netgear devices I have used allow you to spoof this address on the router - look in the manual for "MAC Spoofing"
Old 22 April 2004, 03:01 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

nib - sorry cycle = power off/on
If the STB works in the same was as the stand-alone cable modem then it will forget the strored MAC address if you turn it off and disconnect it from the NTL cable for at least 4 hours. Connect the router before reconnecting and switching back on.

The MAC address of the router will be on the bottom of the unit. If not marked as MAC, it is usually a string of 12 numbers/letters similar to: 00:01:5e:7e:60:28
Old 22 April 2004, 03:02 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Have a look at the link below...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.../register.html

If you can connect via wireless to the router you should be able to browse the ntl start page and register the mac address of the router...

Dom
Old 22 April 2004, 11:00 PM
nib
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

Up & running now.
Old 22 April 2004, 11:26 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

What did you do to fix it?
Old 23 April 2004, 12:57 AM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

Yes, i have had it working, but it is unreliable.

Not been able to get it to work for the last 2 days, using PC at work at the moment.

I have used the router set up page to spoof the MAC address, and it has connected in the past. Usually works fine until i use p2p software and it goes tats-up (that will teach me)

The router is setup to obtain IP dynamically via DHCP, although it currently shows 0.0.0.0.0, but in the past has picked up the IP automatically (ie doesn't work at night, but works the next morning) I cant find any way to 'force' it to obtain a IP (cycling power to both STB and router have no effect)

Going to try plugging directly into NIC, instead of router, tommorow and see if i can find out anything new.
From nthellworld.co.uk i have discovered the Linksys router would have been a better buy. Might buy one and stick the netgear on ebay

Any ideas are most welcome,
Thanks
Phil.
Old 23 April 2004, 08:40 AM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Some routers have a sleep function - check to see if yours has and if so, disable it if possible.

If the router is showing 0.0.0.0 then it is losing the connection to the STB, or the STB is losing the connection to the NTL server. Check all cables are securely attached.
About a year ago I had a similar problem where the connection kept dying, and my cable modem (standalone type) kept rebooting itself. It turned out to be a dodgy connection in the street cabinet.

If you haven't already done so, post a message on NTHellworld.co.uk as a lot of the NTL support staff frequent there (at least they used to be on NTHellworld.com so I presume they still visit .co.uk) and are very helpful - my problem was sorted within 48 hours of one of the guys picking up on it.
Old 23 April 2004, 03:44 PM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

I have posted on various forums (chetnet etc)

I believe the problem is the Netgear box, because i can unplug the internet connection from the router and plug directly to my NIC and it works fine, plug back into the router (with spoofed mac of the NIC) and DHCP wont obtain an IP adress, so no connection.

I'm buying a Linksys........
Old 23 April 2004, 03:48 PM
nib
Scooby Regular

From the webpages I was directed to I found that NTL will allow more than one MAC address but need to follow steps below.

Unplug STB for 2 hours.
Plug router into LAN out from STB.
Power up STB & wait for both green lights on display before powering router.
Booted laptop which connects to router.
Opened any webpage & was automatically directed to NTL Mac registration page.
Put PID & password in to reg routers Mac.
Rebooted STB/router/laptop.

Wireless connection for internet up & running.

From what I gather the alternative is copying the laptops Mac to the router & thus make the STB still think it is connected to the laptop.

Thxs again guys.
NiB.