Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

My tyre reached 100psi!

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2011, 06:50 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My tyre reached 100psi!

Is this ok? The tyre didnt 'pop' into shape on the rim when they were fitting it so they took it to 100 psi . Is this ok to do and could it have a detrimental impact on them?
Old 15 January 2011, 08:51 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

It isn't a problem, it would be far worse to not fit it properly...

Mine had the same problem, but they then had to fill them with nitrogen.

dunx
Old 15 January 2011, 09:14 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Thanks, that is a relief. Its nice to get a 3rd, objective opinion, as Im sure the salesman would be the last person to say it wasnt ok as they wouldn't want to throw £80 down the drain. At least I can get on and enjoy scrubbing in my new Vredys now.

What do they mean when the say fill with nitrogen? I had this question posed to me and I said no thanks as air is 78% nitrogen anyway. Does an extra 22% make a difference?
Old 16 January 2011, 11:08 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Main problem with air filling is that there is variable moisture in the air which gives greater expansion and some inconsistency in expansion. Dry Nitrogen avoids this but I suspect you won't notice the difference unless you are Lewis Hamilton.

R888 tyres are hard to seat due to the stiff sidewalls and I've had some raised close to this pressure. Frankly it makes me nervous because if the tyre lets go at that pressure it could be fatal if you happen to be standing next to it. I just stand outside the workshop and let the fitter get on with it. Not had any problems with tyres that have had this treatment but some tyre manufacturers do warn against this practice.

Last edited by D1CCY; 16 January 2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old 16 January 2011, 01:15 PM
Celicakid
Scooby Regular

Vredys are tough tyres to fit and take alot of Pressure of them to "pop" onto the bead, especially if they are low-profiles.

Wait till you see a "cheater" in action. (Truck Tyre Inflator) If tyres have been in storeage for a while ontop of each other, when mouting the tyre, it'll not fit to the bead properly therefore won't hold any air to "pop" onto the bead. It's a Tank that holds upto 130psi - and throws all that pressure out at the turn of a valve in seconds.
Old 16 January 2011, 01:43 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

So assuming Im Lewis Hamilton where can you get nitrogen refills? Surely when you need to pump the front left up but the front right is ok then you will have two potentially different reacting tyres if you go to a normal petrol station which cant be good. Do you have to go back to a tyre fitters each time? I really couldnt be doing with that.
Old 16 January 2011, 02:15 PM
Celicakid
Scooby Regular

Yes, only garages I know that use Nitro is Kwit Fit as in Dundee no other garages have these machines as it hasn't taken off and kwit fit charge £1.00 per tyre and you'll prob have to wait in a queue before being seen to.
Old 17 January 2011, 03:27 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

I think Demon Tweeks offer Nitrogen fills, a long way to go every time you check your tyres. If you are LH get someone to buy you your own supply.

http://www.boconline.co.uk/products/...gen_oxygen.asp
Old 17 January 2011, 10:23 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

My local Kwik Fit do N2 !

dunx
Old 18 January 2011, 09:37 AM
REVOLUTION
Former Sponsor

Hi

We do nitrogen fills or refills too.
Benefits as mentioned in earlier posts. Oh and don't worry about the 100psi thing, we fit all sorts of tyres all day long and some really low profile Bridgestones and Yokos require that to pop on. Runflats can be the worst, especially in the bigger sizes...

Thanks

Keith
Old 18 January 2011, 10:29 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Transcript from a now deleted article on Toyo website re Nitrogen.

Using Nitrogen compared to compressed air for tyre inflation:

Nitrogen behaves quite differently compared to normal compressed air when used to inflate tyres. When subjected to heat, compressed air will expand at a greater rate compared to nitrogen. For this reason, all factors being equal, there will be less pressure build up when nitrogen is used for tyre inflation compared to normal compressed air. For this reason cold inflation pressures should be higher when using nitrogen inflation compared to using compressed air.

The advantage of using nitrogen compared to compressed air is that cold inflation pressures are closer to optimum hot pressures. Steering feel and response will be superior with higher inflation pressures for the first 2-3 laps compared to using the lower inflation pressures suitable when using compressed air. Nitrogen inflation also provides less variance in inflation pressures, therefore more consistent tyre performance and steering response.

A good rule of thumb to determine the optimum cold inflation pressures for nitrogen inflation: 1. determine the usual amount of pressure build up that occurs using compressed air, 2. halve that amount, and 3. add the amount from step 2 to the cold inflation pressure used for compressed air. NB When using nitrogen for tyre inflation ensure tyres are purged of compressed air and moisture otherwise the advantages of nitrogen inflation will not be realised.
Old 18 January 2011, 11:22 AM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Celicakid
Vredys are tough tyres to fit and take alot of Pressure of them to "pop" onto the bead, especially if they are low-profiles.

Wait till you see a "cheater" in action. (Truck Tyre Inflator) If tyres have been in storeage for a while ontop of each other, when mouting the tyre, it'll not fit to the bead properly therefore won't hold any air to "pop" onto the bead. It's a Tank that holds upto 130psi - and throws all that pressure out at the turn of a valve in seconds.
dundee

What do you drive so I can keep an eye out ?
Old 19 January 2011, 09:58 AM
Celicakid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stef_2010
dundee

What do you drive so I can keep an eye out ?
Red Toyota Celica with Tay Tyres Stickers on the side windows lol......If you need tyres or a price pop in anything and mention the website and i'll sort you out with some sort of discount :P