Help me choose new tyres ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2010, 05:32 PM
bls1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose new tyres ?

Hi all !
To introduce myself, its an '04 blob-eye STI with PPP but otherwise standard. Stuggling a bit with understeer though its better since did a complete 4 wheel alignment, next step probably whiteline rear anti-roll bar. Otherwise just getting used to it as its my first 4wd car.

Anyway, to my question. Looking for 4 x new tyres that need to be up to a very occasional track day but also general road use. This is my 'wet weather' road car so I can't go I can't go too crazy on track-specific tyres, though I don't mind if they're not suitable for winter and I have to change to a winter tyre then.

I'm not THAT concerned about wear, and it seems a bit pointless to worry too much about noise & comfort on this car.
What I'm really looking for is something that will give good grip and reliable feel without breaking away too quickly. Also will be able to handle the higher temps on track , AND won't require driving at 2mph in wet weather.

Please , no Falkens, I appreciate it may just be me but but I have very bad experience of both 452's and 912's.
Size is 225/40/18 , and I guess needs to be 91Y - 95Y load rating.

I'm thinking (Camskill supply-only prices in brackets)
- Conti Sportcontact 3 (£109) - pricey, but are they worth it ?
- Toyo T1R (£96) - bit old now? Had them on a BMW 5-series and was quite impressed but maybe sidewalls a bit soft for Impreza cornering forces ?
- Hankook S1 Evo or V12 Evo (£89) - what's the real difference ? Seem to get good reviews on other cars but not aware of anyone running them on an Impreza.
- Vredestein Ultrac Sessanto (£88) - they seem to get the best write-ups on here, but how do they compare to more expensive e.g. Goodyears or Toyos ? Also , are they up to track work ?

I've also considered, and think I've ruled out, but willing to re-consider :
- Mich PS3 (£128) - too pricey v's others
- Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric (£109) - no better than Vredestein or Hankook?

Thanks a lot for your comments !
Old 14 July 2010, 05:37 PM
dazzaturbo
Scooby Regular

yokohama parada spec 2 are good tyres mate and are pretty cheap aswell.
Old 14 July 2010, 05:37 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got toyo T1R's and would never change for the money there fantastic on scoobs and work well in the wet/winter so no need to change and have added expence mate.
Old 14 July 2010, 05:47 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
Old 14 July 2010, 06:04 PM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta are great tyres, I have them on my spec c, very good grip no tramlining and they give good feedback through the steering wheel, had bridgestone's and toyo T1R's in the past but they were nowhere near as good as the Vredestein's, one of the members of my local Subaru owners club has recently been round the Nurburgring on Vredestein's and he said he was very impressed with them.
Old 14 July 2010, 06:28 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dantastic
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta are great tyres, I have them on my spec c, very good grip no tramlining and they give good feedback through the steering wheel, had bridgestone's and toyo T1R's in the past but they were nowhere near as good as the Vredestein's, one of the members of my local Subaru owners club has recently been round the Nurburgring on Vredestein's and he said he was very impressed with them.
U could have changed my mind you know,but i did see the verd's at the depo when i was there last and the tread pattern wasn't as nice as the toyo's call me synical but i do like the tread to look good
Old 14 July 2010, 06:33 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dantastic

Who was that Dan
Old 14 July 2010, 06:46 PM
bls1
Scooby Newbie

Thanks a lot for the replies.

Dazzaturbo - I wasn't aware of those Parada's. I took a look on tyrereview website and they're pretty consistent comments, amazing in the dry but not so good in the wet (and wear fast, but I'm not so concerned about that). Although not using them on Imprezas. What's your opinion about wet weather performance ? Price is £102 , to compare to the others.

So far, its 2 votes for the Sessantas, which I think is what I suspected, but never used them before.

Anyone tried the Hankooks ? They seem to get pretty good write-ups elsewhere.
Old 14 July 2010, 06:48 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bls1
Thanks a lot for the replies.

Dazzaturbo - I wasn't aware of those Parada's. I took a look on tyrereview website and they're pretty consistent comments, amazing in the dry but not so good in the wet (and wear fast, but I'm not so concerned about that). Although not using them on Imprezas. What's your opinion about wet weather performance ? Price is £102 , to compare to the others.

So far, its 2 votes for the Sessantas, which I think is what I suspected, but never used them before.

Anyone tried the Hankooks ? They seem to get pretty good write-ups elsewhere.
I'd like to hear what folk's think of theses to as ive got aset of them in the workshop but dont know what there like so haven't fitted them.
Old 14 July 2010, 06:50 PM
MarkC
Scooby Regular

I got goodyear eagle f1 tyres fitted a couple of days ago and the grip is great in dry or wet conditions. Sessantas are very good too lots of good feedback about them on this forum.

Last edited by MarkC; 14 July 2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 14 July 2010, 08:35 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I've been running Hankook Evo V12s for the past couple of months, and I'm very impressed with them compared with the Toyo T1Rs I had before. To put that in perspective a bit, my car's a mild to mediumly modified classic wagon, and I average several hundred miles a week on a 40%/40%/20% mix of B-roads, single-lane A-roads and dual-carriageway.

They seem to be lasting quite well so far, and there's been no noticeable difference to my fuel consumption.

cheers
Mark
Old 15 July 2010, 10:07 AM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Running the Conti's on mine I've tried a few makes and rate these as the best so far, Dunlop SP Sport Maxx are a close 2nd with Goodyear Eagle F1's 3rd.

Wouldn't touch the standard range of Toyo's again, Utter rubbish
Old 15 July 2010, 12:25 PM
nks
Scooby Regular

I have Goodyears Eagle F1's on mine.

But hear great reviews on the Vredestein's - I would go for the Goodyears and if cheaper then the Vreds

Toyo's - never been impressed with them TBH.

Yoko's - very poor in the wet.
Old 15 July 2010, 03:09 PM
bls1
Scooby Newbie

thanks guys plenty to think about here. There's some mixed opinions on the Toyo's so I think I'll disregard them. I guess older design than some of the others.

The easy option would be the Vred as those who have them seem very impressed. I'm intrigued about the Hankooks though TBH but problem is I don't really have much to compare them to other than shocking Falken 912's on there at the moment so even if I got them, not sure I'd be able to return the favour with any feedback to you guys on how Hankooks compare to other decent tyres.

Anyway whatever I do in next few days I'll be sure to let you know.
Old 15 July 2010, 08:25 PM
b0x
Scooby Regular

Don't knock the 912's, they're a surprisingly good tyre and I've heard from people who prefer them to the FK452.

I'd certainly consider the Hankook S12 Evos, they've done very well in tests recently and won the 2010 AMS Tyre Test facing some stiff competition.
Old 15 July 2010, 08:36 PM
shonner
Scooby Regular

This might sound a bit strange but alot of hillclimb and sprint class records in road going were set on re070 list 1a tyres and have stood for a few years, a bit random but may help, Shonner
Old 15 July 2010, 08:41 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
Running the Conti's on mine I've tried a few makes and rate these as the best so far, Dunlop SP Sport Maxx are a close 2nd with Goodyear Eagle F1's 3rd.

Wouldn't touch the standard range of Toyo's again, Utter rubbish
I'm looking at the new Dunlop Sport Maxx GT's after some good feedback from a relative in the trade, so interested to hear you rate the previous incarnation - you hear very little about Dunlops.
Old 15 July 2010, 08:49 PM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Anger
Who was that Dan
Yep you are the very man i was referring to Angus.
Old 15 July 2010, 09:08 PM
a16pse
Scooby Regular

on my 18s i use toyo proxes4, for track i use 17s with re070s and they are by far the best all round tyre.
Old 15 July 2010, 09:22 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Have heard that V-reddy sesantas take about 1000 miles to scrub in and until then are a bit dodgy in the wet.
I personally havent used them,so can anyone confirm this?
Old 15 July 2010, 09:37 PM
shonner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by a16pse
on my 18s i use toyo proxes4, for track i use 17s with re070s and they are by far the best all round tyre.
I was told by the guy that set the records the re070's corner so well because of the big blocks of rubber on the out side edge of the tyres.
Old 16 July 2010, 09:46 AM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sprigeteer
I'm looking at the new Dunlop Sport Maxx GT's after some good feedback from a relative in the trade, so interested to hear you rate the previous incarnation - you hear very little about Dunlops.
I found them very good, Plenty of grip both in the wet and dry, Lasted around 17k, very quiet and we're outstanding in the snow we had two years in a row. I only opted to the Conti's this time as I've only heard nothing but good things about them and I had them at a very good price

The 3 sets of F1's I had before were good in wet and dry but very noisy, They offered NO grip at all in the snow, In fact I would leave the car at home when it came to the white stuff. the tread pattern/compound just wasn't suited to it
Old 16 July 2010, 09:09 PM
b0x
Scooby Regular

Another vote for the Sport Maxx GT - I had them on a 350z on long term test (see the site) and they performed very well. Much better grip and treadlife than the FK452's.
Old 16 July 2010, 09:13 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by billyray911
Have heard that V-reddy sesantas take about 1000 miles to scrub in and until then are a bit dodgy in the wet.
I personally havent used them,so can anyone confirm this?
I went to the ring on new ones and did a few laps in the wet... they seamed spot on to me
Old 16 July 2010, 09:33 PM
kj200sx
Scooby Regular

dunlop sp9000 used to be great think they are called sport maxx or something now but was always impressed with them although are quite pricey
Old 16 July 2010, 09:36 PM
kj200sx
Scooby Regular

sorry didnt read all the posts already mentioning them but seem to back up they are a good tyre
Old 16 July 2010, 09:42 PM
b0x
Scooby Regular

FWIW the sport maxx range now goes Sport Maxx -> Sport Maxx TT -> Sport Max GT