20th anniversary owners

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2020, 08:08 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts
Default 20th anniversary owners

Hello,
I was wondering if there are any other 20th anniversary owners here?
Searching through some old posts, it seems there is a white one whose MOT expired in July 2018.
Looking forward to seeing pics of your cars!
Old 15 May 2020, 09:49 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

I think you need to kick off your lonely club with a few choice pictures of 20th Anniversary suspension so we can see what makes it different!
The following users liked this post:
Old 15 May 2020, 11:57 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

20th Anniversary?
Vage Golf?
Or just the Type RA Website badges?

Old 15 May 2020, 12:12 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
I think you need to kick off your lonely club with a few choice pictures of 20th Anniversary suspension so we can see what makes it different!
Its very nice ive seen it in the flesh
Old 15 May 2020, 01:08 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Originally Posted by lockheed
Its very nice ive seen it in the flesh
Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
20th Anniversary?
Vage Golf?
Or just the Type RA Website badges?

The following 3 users liked this post by Don Clark:
Old 15 May 2020, 01:26 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Thanks Don, I learn something new every day, I wasn't aware that the 20th anniversary had the 20107C (ST20106ZR000) fitted (although you may have mentioned this in a past e-mail)!
The remaining suspension differences I have confirmed them visually . I need to look more carefully on the underside!

Last edited by fpan; 15 May 2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 15 May 2020, 02:24 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fpan
Thanks Don, I learn something new every day, I wasn't aware that the 20th anniversary had the 20107C (ST20106ZR000) fitted (although you may have mentioned this in a past e-mail)!
The remaining suspension differences I have confirmed them visually . I need to look more carefully on the underside!
Yes, it was mentioned in emails a number of times
It is also shown in the right hand top of the first picture if you look closely along with the lower brace

It is also visible from under your car

To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the establishment of STI, we developed the theme of "curving pleasure". As a true handling machine, the agility to react at the moment the driver thought to bend and the comfortable performance such as ride comfort and quietness were balanced at a high level。 By adopting the STI tune's damper + spring, STI made pillow ball bush · rear suspension link, STI made flexible lower arm bar, STI made flexible tower bar, the chassis performance is enhanced and the large diameter 245 / 40R18 tire is mounted on STI made 18 inch aluminum wheel And it was made into a fearless appearance by a large roof spoiler painted on STI made front under spoiler and exclusive matte black。RECARO made bucket type seat inherited the image of STI and treated cherry red stitching on black. In addition, STI logo was placed on shift **** and engine starter button, and 20 th Anniversary exclusive emblem was installed on the rear. Body color, Pure White, WR Blue Mica, Obsidian Black Pearl, prepared three colors.

Last edited by Don Clark; 15 May 2020 at 02:35 PM.
Old 15 May 2020, 03:47 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Respect Don, thanks!
I need to get checked for Alzheimer it seems!
Do you mean the yellow circled bits?

The underside has since been cleaned and undersealed.

Old 15 May 2020, 04:28 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Respect Don, thanks!
I need to get checked for Alzheimer it seems!
Do you mean the yellow circled bits?

That would be it

Old 15 May 2020, 04:43 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Lovely bits of kit on them.

what headunit is on them?

I see they still come with the early style front arms with rubber rear bush rather than revised arm.
Old 15 May 2020, 05:11 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gambit

I see they still come with the early style front arms with rubber rear bush rather than revised arm.
They do come with all STi goodies of the era. It's been the best car I've owned, so razor sharp
It came with a Panasonic Carozzeria headunit IIRC that was binned and I've since installed a Pioneer Carplay & Android auto double DIN with BT, DVD, Hertz Mille Pro speakers with the tweeters in the mirror pods (OEM location) and sound deadening on the doors.
The car didn't even have rear speakers (it had the wiring though luckily!) or the tweeter pods in the wing mirrors.
Indeed, the pillow ball arms came with revision C models. I've wanted to retro fit them but I need to weld the HID auto levelling tabs on the pillow ball ones and I've been advised against tig welding on aluminium suspension component parts so I'll probably just replace the bushes.
Old 15 May 2020, 05:20 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

As with some JDM's the HU is original owners/purchasers choice
Parts Database against the VIN only lists the double din blanking plate shown below (Also as Fpan can confirm, from new, they have no rear speakers or tweeters fitted either, only the front door speakers - but the wiring is in place).
Also steering wheel blank covers for audio/cruise functions.

It is a 2008 model (12/08-revisionB) The pillowball front arm bush arrived with the revisionC (07/2009)

Last edited by Don Clark; 15 May 2020 at 05:28 PM.
Old 15 May 2020, 05:44 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

"Owners choice" Audio/Navi if supplied by Subaru would be "similar" to these listed below (MY12 options shown)

Old 15 May 2020, 07:27 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Fair selection of headunits! They look a cracking car spec wise

@fpan yeah I remember you saying about welding potentially weakening the arm. I still haven't got round to getting mine fitted but have had a look at them since you mentioned it previously and reckon you could make a suitable bracket that locates on the arm itself and secured using the void in the arm itself. You could even get away with bonding it if you get strong enough stuff

Old 15 May 2020, 08:01 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Clark
"Owners choice" Audio/Navi if supplied by Subaru would be "similar" to these listed below (MY12 options shown)

Spoilt for choice Fivos
Old 17 May 2020, 01:36 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Fair selection of headunits! They look a cracking car spec wise

@fpan yeah I remember you saying about welding potentially weakening the arm. I still haven't got round to getting mine fitted but have had a look at them since you mentioned it previously and reckon you could make a suitable bracket that locates on the arm itself and secured using the void in the arm itself. You could even get away with bonding it if you get strong enough stuff
Thanks Gambit. It's a shame the Japanese headunits are of no use to us with a frequency converter not only because I don't speak Japanese but I am not aware of how to install European maps, if that would be possible.
It's a great car indeed and I hope to keep it for years to come even if it doesn't get used frequently.
Here's a pic of it with its summer wheels from a TS RA.

Does your car have HIDs and if so what do you plan to do with the brackets for the self levelling? It's a good idea to make up a bracket to locate on the arm itself using the void. One could disconnect the sensor as a trial and see what difference it makes.

Last edited by fpan; 17 May 2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old 18 May 2020, 04:02 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Thanks Gambit. It's a shame the Japanese headunits are of no use to us with a frequency converter not only because I don't speak Japanese but I am not aware of how to install European maps, if that would be possible.
It's a great car indeed and I hope to keep it for years to come even if it doesn't get used frequently.
Here's a pic of it with its summer wheels from a TS RA.

Does your car have HIDs and if so what do you plan to do with the brackets for the self levelling? It's a good idea to make up a bracket to locate on the arm itself using the void. One could disconnect the sensor as a trial and see what difference it makes.
yeah i have the HIDs - another option is to do similar to this which means you dont need the correct fitting/mount as you replace the level sensor arm

https://www.subaruforester.org/threa...placed.781369/

with an adjustable arm https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LINK-HEIG...T/114133365481

although his bracket on the suspension arm is pretty crude you could make something up a bit nicer and then its just a case of measuring the headlights using beam tester before and after adjusting until you get it correct.
Old 18 August 2020, 06:29 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Good news.... fpan is no longer Billy no mates. A 20th Anniversary is sitting at the docks in Japan for the Mrs

The following 2 users liked this post by rossyboy:
Old 18 August 2020, 06:39 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Congrats
Old 19 August 2020, 07:25 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Drew Beech has a white one.
Old 19 August 2020, 08:58 AM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

Congrats, Lovely looking car
Old 24 November 2023, 10:03 AM
Timmycwrx300
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They do come with all STi goodies of the era. It's been the best car I've owned, so razor sharp
It came with a Panasonic Carozzeria headunit IIRC that was binned and I've since installed a Pioneer Carplay & Android auto double DIN with BT, DVD, Hertz Mille Pro speakers with the tweeters in the mirror pods (OEM location) and sound deadening on the doors.
The car didn't even have rear speakers (it had the wiring though luckily!) or the tweeter pods in the wing mirrors.
Indeed, the pillow ball arms came with revision C models. I've wanted to retro fit them but I need to weld the HID auto levelling tabs on the pillow ball ones and I've been advised against tig welding on aluminium suspension component parts so I'll probably just replace the bushes.
hi sorry to revive an old thread 😂
been looking to pick up a 20th ani recently. You mention the revised C version.. how can I make sure the ones I’m looking at have these?
Old 24 November 2023, 11:13 AM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

You would need to be under the car with a torch, best to find the nicest example, the arms can always be retro fitted.
Old 24 November 2023, 11:59 AM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

You can tell by the chassis number what revision it is, also the arms are still available to buy new so not the end of the world if it hasn't got them.
Old 24 November 2023, 02:42 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Timmycwrx300
been looking to pick up a 20th ani recently. You mention the revised C version.. how can I make sure the ones I’m looking at have these?
If you're looking for a "20th ani", it won't have them from the factory as its a Revision A model.
The revision version can be gleaned from the applied model code and is the 4th character - GRBA5EH (WRXSTI) with a 91 0ption Code.

The Revision is similar to "Model Year" but as JDM Subarus are "usually" registered in the UK by build year, using this can be tricky due to overlaps in production.

Build dates for G12 JDM models (GR being wide bodied 5dr hatch; GH being narrow bodied 5dr hatch; GV being wide bodied 4dr saloon; GE being narrow bodied 4dr saloon)

Old 25 November 2023, 11:03 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Timmycwrx300
Also, be aware that if you wish to keep the suspension original, it's going to cost a fair bit to replace, even the bushes.
Old 26 November 2023, 12:41 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

I've not driven my 20th Anniversary much but i have to say handling wise it's an incredible car, i love how the power is delivered on the 2.0 twin scroll compared to the UK 2.5. I think if someone was looking for a Subaru that has amazing handling, great power delivery, great comfort with the Recaro interior and plenty of smiles per gallon then the 20th anniversary has to be high on your list, it feels like the modern version of the UK 2.5 where to me the 2.5 feels a bit dated to drive, as an example the power steering feels slow and sluggish on the UK 2.5 compared to the super quick, pointed steering on the 20th anniversary which is a joy to use, also the 20th Anniversary is in a different league handling wise and the engine feels more modern and smooth compared to the UK 2.5 ................ It's a fantastic car, mines in storage for the winter but as soon as the nice weather arrives next year i'll go for a nice cruise in here to blow away the cobwebs from being in storage which i'll look forward too,
Old 26 November 2023, 12:53 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by The Joshua Tree:
Old 25 February 2024, 07:27 PM
SuperCat
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi folks! My first post after over 7 years away. Since selling my WRX wagon back in 2016 I have been round the all the hot hatch contenders and ended up back here. I purchased a 20th Anniversary from Japan back end of last year and it finally arrived on my doorstep last week. Planning a major service imminently (belts/pulleys/idlers/fluids/brakes/plugs) and might treat her to a full set of Samco hoses whilst in there. Will also be doing a second sitting soon after to tackle all STi bushes and chassis parts and will need your expert advice and help in navigating.

With the 1st service I finally have everything ready to go despite struggling slightly with getting correct parts in particular the Alternator and AC belts. The Power Steering pump is leaking and I would like to replace it. I am really struggling with part numbers and wondering if anyone can assist. Getting different answers from various places. It is an expensive part and I dont want to make a mistake. The part number I have most confidence in is 34430FG030. Could anyone confirm this is correct?

What I have been defining the car as when navigating through filters on various sites is a 2008 STi GRB Revision A EJ20.
The following 2 users liked this post by SuperCat:
Old 25 February 2024, 08:33 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

2008 STi GRB Revision A EJ207

Item 1 Alternator/ps belt
Item2 PS pump
https://www.dlmotorsportparts.co.uk/...pump-2008-2014
Item 3 AC belt kit (stretch belt plus fitting jig)

Last edited by Don Clark; 25 February 2024 at 08:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don Clark:

Quick Reply: 20th anniversary owners