Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

What tyres? Help please people.

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2005, 06:25 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb What tyres? Help please people.

Hi all,

I need to get a full set of tyres put on in time for when winter kicks in.

However what with me only just getting the car etc and Christmas around the corner I am looking for some guidance in the right direction where money is concerned.

I need to know what are the best tyres to suit the Scooby in all conditions , grip , handling and performance without blowing to much.

I have had toyo's in the past and I found the sidewalls slightly weak. Are these any good on the Scooby seem as they have now brought out the T1-R?

At the mo I have x2 Nankang NS2 , x1 Advan AVS sport & x1 Toyo T1-S .

Are the Bridgestone ,Potenza RE 050 A 225/40 R18 any good for the value and grip?

I was thinking of getting two new tyres this month and then the other two next month but I don't want the hassle of going to a tyre shop on my Saturday afternoon's twice in a month.

Money is a slight issue hence seeking advice as to what is best.

Thanks

Steve
Old 06 October 2005, 06:42 PM
slimnotshady
Scooby Regular

Default Goodyear F1's?

Steve,
Toyo's, Goodyear F1's, and Potenza 010's seem to be the top 3. My MY00 had 010's all round but the rears were worn, so I've had a couple of F1's fitted. Supposed to be much better in the wet (it hasn't really rained since they were fitted last week, so no testing as yet), and the road noise has noticeably reduced- my main reason for changing make/model. They have softer sidewalls, so handling in the dry isn't quite as sharp. I'll be changing the fronts for F1's too when they're worn if not sooner.

My 2 penneth,
Si
Old 06 October 2005, 07:02 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply Si,

I like the look of the Yokohama , AVS SPORT . At present I have 225/35 on. The grip from out to inner centre is clean and tidy.

For value for money on www.mytyres.co.uk the Goodyear F1's are priced at £102.90 compared to the Advan's at £117.00 . So I guess the F1's win that one.

I have heard the F1's being mentioned as a great tyre for the Scoob but not so much on the Advan's? Does anyone have the AVS SPORT all round and what are your opinions?

Has anyone found that the Toyo's are loud on the road? My old Toyo's on my Punto HGT made that ticking noise and after a while I found myself pumping them up every week or so.

Steve
Old 06 October 2005, 08:59 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

i got toyo's t1 r on and i'm happy as can be with them, going to the ring next year as well and will have no dramas using them for that as well, dont find them loud either
Old 06 October 2005, 10:01 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Erm..........What tyre size?
Old 10 October 2005, 08:27 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

mine are standard 205/50/16, i've been looking though at prices for different sizes coz i will be upgrading soon, and 215/40/17's are cheaper? go figure????????
Old 16 October 2005, 09:26 PM
Wmscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx
Thanks for the reply Si,

I like the look of the Yokohama , AVS SPORT . At present I have 225/35 on. The grip from out to inner centre is clean and tidy.

For value for money on www.mytyres.co.uk the Goodyear F1's are priced at £102.90 compared to the Advan's at £117.00 . So I guess the F1's win that one.

I have heard the F1's being mentioned as a great tyre for the Scoob but not so much on the Advan's? Does anyone have the AVS SPORT all round and what are your opinions?

Has anyone found that the Toyo's are loud on the road? My old Toyo's on my Punto HGT made that ticking noise and after a while I found myself pumping them up every week or so.

Steve
Ive been offered AVS yoko's at 79 quid mate are they any good????

Mark
Old 17 October 2005, 05:08 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Hey Mark,

I haven't bought them yet. £79 PER TYRE!!! Where mate where?

Steve
Old 17 October 2005, 05:31 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

Mine has Toyo T1R's all round, in 215/40 17" size. I got all four for £320 fitted balanced etc. Yes, tyres for a 17" wheel are cheaper than an equivalent for a 16" wheel

If you stick with a reputable dealer, you'll find his prices are as good as anywhere, especially when you take travelling into account. Mine is just about to get me two Toyos in 205/40 17" for an Ibiza for £150.

My dealer really takes care of my rims too, I've watched the lads work, and they respect the car

Be a bit careful when changing less than 4 tyres at a time: if you end up with a situation where you have 2 new tyres, and two worn, ready for replacement tyres, you could end up putting quite a lot of strain on the diffs and driveshafts. Might be better to save for two months and have all four at once. You COULD also negotiate a better price for four...........?

I'd second the poster who reckoned Toyo, Goodyear or Bridgestones RE010.

DON'T buy a tyre for how it looks

Alcazar