Notices

Pictures of lowered 04-07 STi

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2022, 01:19 AM
Luke Kay
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pictures of lowered 04-07 STi

Hey all, Considering purchasing a set of quality lowering springs for my STi.
I am after something that drops the front more than the rear (yes, I understand the front arch is bigger, and it gives the ILLUSION of it being bigger but it ruins the look of the car for me). I'd rather not go coilovers just yet, so I just want some decent springs and/or struts or whatever else I need to lower the car properly. I love the way that the RB320 sits, as the front arch gap between top of tyre to the arch is very similar to the rear, but I would think that RB320 struts and springs would be really hard to find? Lowering the car front only is something I've considered but there is so many conflicting opinions on it I want to do it properly at all four corners, the only issue being that I want more drop in the front. Probably 25mm in front and 10/15mm in the rear or something along those lines.... It's a 2006 STi Spec D widetrack hawkeye with standard STi enkei wheels, currently sitting on stock STi suspension. The car is a daily driver but also driven hard sometimes on some nice country roads if that helps.

I know Tein S-tech are up there but they have a big drop no? Seen somewhere it was like 40mm up front which is a little TOO much I think. I don't wanna stray too far from stock, but just bring the arch gap level while lowering the car a tad. Anyone got any suggestions? even better if anyone has any photos and what your cars suspension and wheel setup, they would be more than welcome! Preferably in the range of like £200-£600 but willing to pay more if needed.
Old 25 April 2022, 09:36 AM
scoobaholic
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Hey,
have you read this thread? I'd seriously consider these.

WA/A2 04-07 GD GG STI Springs - ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

Sometimes RB320 stuff comes up on ebay but yeah it's hard to find. Or you could look at the prodrive springs.
I love the lower at the front look, too plus with a good set up it can handle really well.
Old 25 April 2022, 10:00 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Check your current ride heights first - to see how much the springs have sagged/top mounts have compressed, over time.
Heights, when new 385mm front, 365mm rear - rear height is with full tank (or stick 50Kg in boot).
With your stock length front bump stops, you're riding on them at 355mm.
360mm front height is about the minimum. You'll still have to change the front stops, as did Prodrive, with their lowering springs.

A new set of widetrack inverted struts would be £800. Or, £650, if you didn't mind the front and rear struts being different colours.

Increasing the positive chassis rake, by lowering the front more as per P1/RB320 is fine.

A, relatively, higher rear ride height moves the roll centre upward, increasing rear roll resistance.
That, in turn, makes the front end roll more = more load on the front tyre. This helps turn-in response and reduces understeer, without the use of a stiffer rear bar.
You want the smallest bars possible, on a road car.
If the spring rate is relatively low and the bar is too stiff, a suspension movement, initially, occurring on only one side of the vehicle, will be transmitted to the other side, inducing an unsettling motion, destablizing the tyre contact patches on both sides.

Last edited by 2pot; 25 April 2022 at 10:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2pot:
Old 25 April 2022, 10:26 AM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

My old Hawk STI with standard shocks and tein s tech springs.

Old 25 April 2022, 11:03 AM
Luke Kay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Smithys STI
My old Hawk STI with standard shocks and tein s tech springs.
That's pretty bang on perfect with what Im looking to do, she looks great mate!
Old 25 April 2022, 11:07 AM
Luke Kay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobaholic
Hey,
have you read this thread? I'd seriously consider these.

WA/A2 04-07 GD GG STI Springs - ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

Sometimes RB320 stuff comes up on ebay but yeah it's hard to find. Or you could look at the prodrive springs.
I love the lower at the front look, too plus with a good set up it can handle really well.
No I havent seen that thread! Yeah I'll hop on ebay and give it a look and see if I can drop lucky, yeah I've heard that slight lowering on front can increase turn in and such like that, if done well can help the car handle so I'd love to have that.
Old 25 April 2022, 11:09 AM
Luke Kay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2pot
Check your current ride heights first - to see how much the springs have sagged/top mounts have compressed, over time.
Heights, when new 385mm front, 365mm rear - rear height is with full tank (or stick 50Kg in boot).
With your stock length front bump stops, you're riding on them at 355mm.
360mm front height is about the minimum. You'll still have to change the front stops, as did Prodrive, with their lowering springs.

A new set of widetrack inverted struts would be £800. Or, £650, if you didn't mind the front and rear struts being different colours.

Increasing the positive chassis rake, by lowering the front more as per P1/RB320 is fine.

A, relatively, higher rear ride height moves the roll centre upward, increasing rear roll resistance.
That, in turn, makes the front end roll more = more load on the front tyre. This helps turn-in response and reduces understeer, without the use of a stiffer rear bar.
You want the smallest bars possible, on a road car.
If the spring rate is relatively low and the bar is too stiff, a suspension movement, initially, occurring on only one side of the vehicle, will be transmitted to the other side, inducing an unsettling motion, destablizing the tyre contact patches on both sides.
Yes I shall check everything once I get back from work, you seem to know a thing or two! That turn in increase would be nice. It's great as it is standard but I've noticed how it can be a little iffy on certain roads
Old 26 April 2022, 05:19 PM
PaulPPP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve got a set of these

Old 26 April 2022, 10:27 PM
Luke Kay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulPPP
I’ve got a set of these

I'm assuming this is just the springs fella? Just read that document and it said that it comes with struts/dampers so are you keeping those for yourself Or is it the full kit? Also how much you asking for if you're selling them cause I'd buy them if money is right
Old 27 April 2022, 08:15 PM
PaulPPP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke Kay
I'm assuming this is just the springs fella? Just read that document and it said that it comes with struts/dampers so are you keeping those for yourself Or is it the full kit? Also how much you asking for if you're selling them cause I'd buy them if money is right
it’s just the springs I have and I would sell them for £200 per set
Old 30 April 2022, 12:40 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm sure 2pot will be along to give the definitive answer but those are the RB320 springs which really needed the shorter front damper to work correctly. I've got the rears fitted to a set of Koni inserts but then used S05 fronts (which are the same rate but a little longer) to compensate for the fact I was running stock length strut bodies with the Koni's. They are good springs though and it'll perhaps be possible to modify either the bump stops to get the right free length, or find some of the RB320 spec front struts for your car if you're going the whole hog.