Notices

STI/Team suspension on WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2008, 01:41 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool STI/Team suspension on WRX?

Got the option of some STI shocks and Tein springs for my 2005WRX, would i be better just putting the springs on my shocks or is there a benefit for using the STI shocks?

Also what would be the difference putting a STI rear anto roll bar on?

I dont want it really low or really hard ride, just looks to high at the moment and slightly better cornering would be nice..

cheers

Leon
Old 10 September 2008, 10:40 AM
LWells
Scooby Regular

Question

any opinions on this one? just realised my typo in the title! Thinking il just have the springs on my shocks at the mo as worried about the problems rear sti shocks have, and they are off a 53plate car where as my shocks are obv from an 05plate so newer...
Old 11 September 2008, 04:02 PM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

Powerstation said they had piles of second hand STI shocks round the back as they were so poor people were getting rid of them. WRX shocks and decent springs (Eibach etc) are probably best if you don't want the expense (and harshness) of coilovers.
Old 12 September 2008, 06:26 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mother Theresa
Powerstation said they had piles of second hand STI shocks round the back as they were so poor people were getting rid of them. WRX shocks and decent springs (Eibach etc) are probably best if you don't want the expense (and harshness) of coilovers.

Yeah im leaning towards just the springs as im sure this will be enough for what i want. Tein seem to lower 35mm all round? from what i remember Prodrive are lower at the front than back? it does looks like it needs more off the front...
Old 16 September 2008, 05:16 PM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Hi,

AFAIK

05 WRX onwards have the same inverted type front/rear struts as the STI's that are prone to knocking at the rear but with according to Mike Wood of Prodrive different damping rates.

It would however be interesting to check part numbers for STI 2003/2004 struts (I assumme 2005 onwards STI would be different as they have a wider track etc) and 2005 onwards WRX stuts to see if they are actually exactly the same.

Same with the springs ie are STI & WRX the same ??
Old 17 September 2008, 09:50 AM
LWells
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Hi,even tho mine is an 05 its actually a 54plate car, ie has the same dash and did not have red calipers etc etc... The handling is not that bad on mine at present (not that ive driven a fully set up car to compare!) so im basically after it looking better as i think it sits to high. An improvement in handling will of course be great. So the springs only option I recon would be best for me as looking through posts here people dont rate the STi shocks and say the ride is not as nice (bouncy etc)
Old 17 September 2008, 03:56 PM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

As you say then just lowering springs with std shocks as the knocking strut problem should never effect you.
Old 20 September 2008, 11:21 PM
Nolan_WRX
Scooby Regular

I done exactly this on my 05 wrx with the inverted type strut,
put 03 sti shocks and prodive springs on, the handling was much improved but it is a little harsh for my liking and has developed the rear passenger knock although hasnt affected handling in any way, just a little annoying noise knock when going over bumps at about 20-30mph thats all.
so am considering putting either eibach or prodrive blue springs back on my old wrx shoks and refitting, or go for a set of kyb sr suspension with the eibach or prodrive springs.
Old 22 September 2008, 08:16 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well its Done! .... had they day off so went for a Trip down to powerstation and got the Tein springs fitted to my WRX dampers then got them to do there stuff on the Alignment...

Really pleased, much lower but not stupid low, ride quality is unchanged from a comfort point of view but the handling and feel are so much better. Not really tested it yet as the motorway drive was obv straight! Just been for a quick blast round some twisty bits near me and im impressed.. Il go the long way to work tommorow to have a play!

:-)