Group buy Prodrive Springs for a WRX

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2021, 12:30 PM
Rom4
Scooby Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Group buy Prodrive Springs for a WRX

Good morning all of you Blobeye WRX owners,

I have recently been in contact with Peter Cambridge of PCA Dynamics.

For those of you who don't know who that is, Peter used to work at Prodrive for 10+ years and was lead developer on their springs for various different cars.

In short, Peter has come back to me via Eibach with a cost to produce the Prodrive spec springs for a Blobeye WRX based on the following numbers;

The costs for a boxed set of WRX springs including front bump stops, fitting instructions with the recommended geometry settings, next day courier shipping to most of the UK and vat are:

Order of 25 sets £336.37

Order of 15 sets £359.35

I am very interested in these myself, who else would be?

Supposedly these springs are one of the best options for OEM+ upgrade and still remain relatively compliant with the road.

Some more information directly from Peter;

The kit fits both the saloon and wagon of the:

01-02 WRX with the addition of the 03-07 rear damper top mount. KYB supply them in the aftermarket.

03-04 WRX with the twin-tube struts.

05-07 WRX with inverted mono-tube struts (new front bump stops supplied).

03-07 2.0R.

The kits are boxed with replacement front bump stops for the 05-06 WRX fitted with the inverted mono-tube struts, fitting instructions for the bump stops and recommended geometry settings.

The key benefits are:

Significantly reduced body roll.
Reduced understeer.
Improved turn in.
A more alert feeling to the car.
Increased driver confidence.
Balanced ride front to rear.
Improved comfort.
More aggressive stance.

The spring kit lowers the car around 25mm at the front and brings the rear down to match giving a near equal tyre to arch gap front and rear. The wheel centre to arch is about 370mm.

Overall it's lower but not excessively so. It needs the travel to work on our roads. It's too easy to excessively lower a car and then you have to drive it slower which defeats the object for me! The aim of all of the suspensions I've developed is to increase the capability of the car and give the driver more confidence to use that capability to the full.
Old 19 November 2021, 03:02 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I advise Excel-G shock absorbers to go with these springs.
Old 23 November 2021, 08:25 AM
Rom4
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by haily spencer
did you order it or not yet ?

Morning Haily, no not yet. Still trying to get enough people who want them added to the list so we can get an order of 15. Do you want to add your name? We have 4 confirmed.
Old 06 December 2021, 12:54 PM
Rik_WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would the springs be a direct swap if everything else was stock?

Sorry, I'm not too clued up on the suspension side of things!

I have a MY04 wagon WRX and want to get it a little lower, but can't justify getting the springs, plus new shocks (plus anything else I may need?) for 600+...if I've added that up right
Old 06 December 2021, 02:14 PM
Rom4
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Rik_WRX
Would the springs be a direct swap if everything else was stock?

Sorry, I'm not too clued up on the suspension side of things!

I have a MY04 wagon WRX and want to get it a little lower, but can't justify getting the springs, plus new shocks (plus anything else I may need?) for 600+...if I've added that up right
Hi,

Yes it will be a direct swap out. You don't need to switch any other components out unless you fancy it. I won't be and I am running stock everything. Some people choose to swap shocks out at the same time purely to save on labour costs whilst they are in there.....I think. Or because they want fresh components to go with the springs. Depends on the mileage on your car I guess. If you have 100k mileage and shocks are original, you could have sagging suspension as a result. So ideally a new set of shocks will be a good idea.
Old 06 December 2021, 04:11 PM
Rik_WRX
Scooby Regular

Great, thanks for the response Rom4!
Yeah my car is on 105k but I have other things I need addresing before I get round to the suspension.
A leaking power steering pump! Happy days...
Old 24 December 2021, 10:09 AM
Rom4
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Rik_WRX
Great, thanks for the response Rom4!
Yeah my car is on 105k but I have other things I need addresing before I get round to the suspension.
A leaking power steering pump! Happy days...
Yeah I understand, things always crop up!

Do you think you would be interested in purchasing in the next 8-12 weeks?
Old 18 March 2022, 09:54 PM
Thatdoodle
Scooby Newbie

I'd be interested in putting my name down, assuming these haven't already been ordered
Old 30 April 2022, 08:16 AM
Rom4
Scooby Newbie

Hi all,

This is the latest information I received from Peter just a few days ago.

" Eibach made a big error in their quotation for the WRX springs. Their prices have risen considerably and the lead times have increased even more. The latest prices for the kits would give a selling price of £420 for an order of 25 kits and £480 for 15 kits. The lead time is at least 16 weeks. I am having much better success with the UK made springs. The cost for a set would be £499 but the lead time is currently only 2 weeks.

There are large issues around the world with steel supply due to COVID which has caught the Germans very badly. The UK buy in smaller quantities and seem to be getting round the issue thankfully.

If you or any of the other interested owners would like a set turned around quickly in the UK to the original drawings please let me know. There are no reductions in price available to me for small batches unfortunately as they are all hand wound. "