Notices
Group Buys Post your Group Buy and subscribe to existing group buys here!

Group Buy: Blob & Hawk WRX 'Prodrive' blue lowering springs *Limited run*

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2014, 10:59 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Group Buy: Blob & Hawk WRX 'Prodrive' blue lowering springs *Limited run*

I've been looking for a set of these springs for my blod wagon for ages and only seem to be able to find used bugeye versions which are slightly different, and as you know, Prodrive don't do these springs anymore.

Then 2pot from the P1 spring groupbuy put me in touch with Peter Cambridge (ex Prodrive engineer who developed the WRX springs). Peter can supply these exact same springs (without 'Prodrive' printed on them) at a very reasonable price of £198+£13.50 delivery (cheaper than the inferior Eibach Pro-S springs).

They lower the car by 25-30mm at the front and rear drops enough to give a level stance as standard springs make front look alot higher than the rear, here's my WRX wagon on standard springs (on 17s)

Here it is now with the PCA Dynamic springs and 18" Revolution Millenniums fitted
Name:  DSC_0779_zps1173d260.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  85.5 KB

Here's the GB270 on these Prodrive springs (on 18s)
Name:  GB270urbangrey41Kpound12K2800x600_zps9a974802.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  110.8 KB

Perfect ride height/stance in my opinion.

I asked Peter if he could do a discount for a Scoobynet group buy, here's what he said:

"Well that's an interesting opportunity! The £198 incl vat is a very good price including front bump stops, but I think there would be some scope to discount it further for a batch sale.

I only have 9 kits left in stock. If you could arrange a group buy for the 9 kits then I could reduce the price to £189 incl vat. The delivery would be £13.50 per kit.

I have spoken to Eibach as they sometimes have what they call 'over makes' around. It turns out they have enough to make 10 more kits. Usually they can only do a couple of sets. They are unable to reduce their cost to me on these but I can again do them for £189 plus £13.50 delivery. It might be sensible to do an all-time buy as I don't imagine there would be enough interest to do a large batch again in the future and these prices couldn't be repeated."

So to take advantage of this discount we need 9 firm orders, any more than this we would need another 10 orders, so a max total of 19 sets are available at this price.

Here are some more details from Peter's email:

My springs are the same as the W03/D5/001 kit I developed for the UK apart from the printing on them. They come with new front bump stops, fitting instruction for the bump stops and revised geometry settings.

‎The kit makes a huge difference to the way a WRX drives. There are two good quotes about the kit. One from a customer who fitted it to his 2006 WRX.

'I've had more opportunities to explore the handling and have been pushing the car more in the corners. The crashing when the car was, I guess, sitting on the bump stops, has gone and now seems to soak up the bad surface undulations and the twisty Broads. Cruising speed ride is very compliant and comfortable and stiffens up nicely when you need it in the corners. Overall very impressed!

‎And another from Autocar when back in 2006 when they reviewed the kit fitted to their long term WRX.

'Amazingly, given the bigger wheels and lower, stiffer springs, the ride has been transformed. Small imperfections in the ‎asphalt would previously have created a jiggling, unsettled motion, but now the car soaks up the ridges.'

It's one of those rare situations where the car is lowered, looks better, handles better and rides better. If only one could do that with every car!

So to confirm, a set of PCA Dynamics springs to Prodrive specs for the Blob/Hawk eye WRX (not STi) for the price of £189 plus £13.50 delivery, (All payments will be made directly to Peter Cambridge at PCA Dynamics).

Contact details:
Peter Cambridge
Tel: +447827778743
Email: peter@pcadynamics.com
Web: pcadynamics.com
Peter Cambridge & Associated Limited
Registered Office: 9-11 Stratford Road, Shirley,
Solihull, West Midlands, B90 3LU

I am starting off the first order of 9 sets.

If you are definitely interested please add your name to the list below by copying the list and adding your name in a new reply.

1) Modrich

Last edited by modrich; 17 June 2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 31 July 2014, 03:07 PM
JA1987
Scooby Regular

How much do these lower by and do they work well with standard wrx shocks?
Old 31 July 2014, 03:27 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

They lower the car by 25-30mm at the front and rear drops enough to level out the stance as the WRX tends to look too high at the front on standards springs. These are specifically designed to work with standard shocks and are specific to the WRX weight (lighter over the front axle than the STi) where as, say, the Eibach springs are 'one size fits all' and don't work as well with the WRX.

Last edited by modrich; 31 July 2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 31 July 2014, 03:49 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How much do they lower the car by?

Blob wrx wagon.
Old 31 July 2014, 04:16 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

I've added some more info to the original post above to answer some questions on ride height. Hope this helps.
Old 13 August 2014, 02:56 PM
casasteve
Scooby Regular

Tempting! Won't be able to commit for a while though
Old 13 August 2014, 03:06 PM
Dockyard
Scooby Regular

I would like a set for my 07 wrx hawk saloon

Last edited by Dockyard; 13 August 2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 13 August 2014, 05:58 PM
gavin0797
Scooby Newbie

can u sell a pair of rear ones for my 2008 gb270?
Old 15 August 2014, 09:52 PM
::RiL::
Scooby Newbie

I'm in for this, what's the group buy deadline as I'm in the market for these now
Old 15 August 2014, 10:29 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

I haven't set a time limit, we just need to get 9 definites to go a head. As it seems to be going a little slower than hoped I will give it a week or so and contact Peter again ...see if I can twist his arm...

list so far:

1) Modrich
2) casasteve (possible)
3) Dockyard
4) jrit123
5) ::RiL::

If anyone wants to add their name to this list but doesn't have access to the groupbuy section, just PM me and I'll do it for you.
Old 17 August 2014, 10:07 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Ok peeps, I've been in touch with Peter at PCA Dynamics and he has agreed to go ahead at the agreed groupbuy price of £189+13.50del for any orders we currently have. So if you want to contact him directly via his website http://pcadynamics.com/ he will be happy to arrange your order.

I'll be ordering my set this week.
Old 18 August 2014, 08:00 PM
Dockyard
Scooby Regular

I have on quick question.
How do these compare to prodrive reds and can he do some to the red specs!!

Last edited by Dockyard; 18 August 2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 18 August 2014, 08:51 PM
hawky666
Scooby Regular

Another quick question, as car is new to me. I have a blobeye sti.. with prodrive fitted by main dealer when it was 2 yrs old.

1.. how can i tell if the springs were also changed to prodrive?

2.. would these springs being discussed do the job on mine as its an sti ?

Thanks.
Old 18 August 2014, 08:52 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Prodrive Reds are for the STi so will be a higher spring rate due to the STi's extra weight. Blues are perfectly matched to the lower weight over the front wheels.
Old 18 August 2014, 08:59 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hawky666
Another quick question, as car is new to me. I have a blobeye sti.. with prodrive fitted by main dealer when it was 2 yrs old.

1.. how can i tell if the springs were also changed to prodrive?

2.. would these springs being discussed do the job on mine as its an sti ?

Thanks.
If your STi sits quite high at the front then it's probably on standard springs. As above STi Prodrive springs are red, although some later versions for the Hawk Sti were black I think. If you clean-up the springs you should be able to make out part and manufacturer details on the coil.
Old 19 August 2014, 05:44 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

I'm interested in this GB. But have some questions.

I have a 2002 WRX wagon, and just bought some used saloon bugeye STI Prodrive struts and springs.

- will these springs fit over the sti struts from bug saloon that will be fitted to a bug wrx wagon?

Cheers :-)

Last edited by Reshard1977; 19 August 2014 at 06:32 PM. Reason: edited/removed one of the questions - answer already mentioned
Old 19 August 2014, 08:49 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

You're really trying to mix and match when you didn't need to. Prodrive blues are deisgned to work with standard WRX KYB struts. Your STi struts are designed to work perfectly with the STi springs they came with (and even better with STi specific Prodrive springs), but not on a WRX due to the lower weight.

To give you an example of how wrong (read over rated) springs messes with your cars ride comfort. Our family motor is a Mazda 5 that can seat 7. It mainly gets used with just 2 adults and 2 under 18month old little 'uns (and a pram in the boot). The ride comfort with this light load is noticeably harsher and more skittish/unsettled than when we load-up to the roof with baby stuff and travel 200 odd miles to visit my parents in Manchester. The ride is so much more settled and smooth. This is because the springs are rated for a higher load than we normally carry so the rear just bounces, and the Mazda 5 rear shocks are a common failure, possibly due to this.

There was also a post on this forum the other week of someone complaining that their WRX with Prodrive springs was way too harsh. It turns out he had WR1 STi springs fitted. Goes to show that just because it has STi written on it, doesn't mean it's better...for a WRX.

So in short, Prodrive blue (read PCA Dynamics) springs with your standard WRX struts (assuming they are in good condition) would work better than STi Struts/springs...but because you have a bug you'll probably need blobeye top hats.

Last edited by modrich; 26 September 2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 19 August 2014, 09:00 PM
Dockyard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by modrich
Prodrive Reds are for the STi so will be a higher spring rate due to the STi's extra weight. Blues are perfectly matched to the lower weight over the front wheels.
Cheers thanks!!!
Old 20 August 2014, 09:29 AM
casasteve
Scooby Regular

Would Peter be OK with collection? I assume so, but worth asking...
Old 20 August 2014, 09:42 AM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Don't see why not, just e-mail/phone. If you're local he can arrange the geo set-up after fitting so you know it's done properly!
Old 20 August 2014, 04:54 PM
Scooby Newbie

just pinged Peter an email
Old 29 August 2014, 06:15 PM
callahan
Scooby Regular

Thanks to this thread I just ordered a set of these from Peter to go with my new set of KYB Ultra's from Camskill - all to go on my 53 plate blobeye hatch.

Thanks Modrich.
Old 29 August 2014, 09:02 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Nice one Callahan, looks like I'm the only one who hasn't ordered a set yet! Just working on a couple of other bits ATM.

Would be good if you all could report back on how you're finding these springs when you get them fitted.

BTW what sort of prices are people being quoted for fitting the springs? Cheapest I've found is £40 a corner which seems pretty good.
Old 30 August 2014, 08:10 PM
callahan
Scooby Regular

I'm being quoted 3-4 hours for fitting the KYB shocks and the PCM springs @ 55/hour, which seems pretty good. That also includes fitting a Whiteline roll centre adjustment kit. Mocom racing are doing it for me as well as the alignment afterwards.
Old 30 August 2014, 08:13 PM
JA1987
Scooby Regular

Callahan are they including alignment in the 4 hours labour charge?
Old 30 August 2014, 08:30 PM
Dockyard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by modrich
Nice one Callahan, looks like I'm the only one who hasn't ordered a set yet! Just working on a couple of other bits ATM.

Would be good if you all could report back on how you're finding these springs when you get them fitted.

BTW what sort of prices are people being quoted for fitting the springs? Cheapest I've found is £40 a corner which seems pretty good.
No mate I haven't ordered yet as I'm waiting on some cheques clearing!! But hopfully be done this week!
Old 30 August 2014, 09:15 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by callahan
I'm being quoted 3-4 hours for fitting the KYB shocks and the PCM springs @ 55/hour, which seems pretty good. That also includes fitting a Whiteline roll centre adjustment kit. Mocom racing are doing it for me as well as the alignment afterwards.
Callahan, I wouldn't advise getting the geo done on the same day as getting the suspension fitted, you should really drive the car for a least a few days on some bumpy roads to help the suspension settle, otherwise as it settles the geo might lose some of it's tolerance.

I'm going to wait at least a week.
Old 30 August 2014, 09:44 PM
callahan
Scooby Regular

Alignment is £90 extra, but not sure when he is planning to do it. A friend has just taken delivery of a new Hunter machine, so I could easily get it adjusted later if needs be.
Old 30 August 2014, 11:01 PM
Scooby Newbie

Mine are ordered and paid should arrive next week, where is the best place to get oe rear shocks for an 05 wrx as mine are shot and I'm struggling to work out which KYB's are NOT uprated
Old 30 August 2014, 11:51 PM
callahan
Scooby Regular

Email Camskill with your reg number and they'll tell you exactly which ones will work. I'm getting the kyb ultras which are the sti equivalent apparently.

Quick Reply: Group Buy: Blob & Hawk WRX 'Prodrive' blue lowering springs *Limited run*