Notices
Styling Exterior styling

DIY RE-spraying

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2002, 08:27 PM
gWRXm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just finished priming my sti V rear spoiler, and thinking about spraying the final coat myself. My question is do i need to put laquer on it?. And what is your verdict on tools for the job. I could buy the paint from halfords but it would take a couple of cans or should i go for a 75 watt spraygun from LES SMITHS and buy a couple of litres?. Any other suggestions would be greatful aswell
Old 28 December 2002, 12:44 AM
Sparky1066
Scooby Regular

Is it Metallic, if so you have to put Laquer on it, I would personally use a spray gun, you will never get the same effect out of a can.
Old 28 December 2002, 03:06 PM
gWRXm
Scooby Regular

Are all spray guns the same or are certain types better
Old 29 December 2002, 01:01 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

spraying is an art - and it's very easy to c*** it up!

Having said that, if you don't have a go, you'll never be able to do it. Practice a bit first - you'll regret it if you don't.

Oh, and go for a spray gun. They offer much more control than the cans and you can get the paint to lay how you want (if you're good ). Beware that you can get many different shades out of one metalic colour depending on how you apply it!!

In my experience - not that much really - celulose paint is really brittle and not really suitable for flexible bits. So you're probably best looking for some acrylic type paint (maybe with a plasticiser)

[Edited by dnb - 12/29/2002 1:02:00 AM]
Old 29 December 2002, 12:06 PM
gWRXm
Scooby Regular

I have to give it a go, I refuse to give some trainy £100 if i can do it for free. I am trying to get the code for the paint. My car is in germany but i am in england on leave.
Old 29 December 2002, 05:20 PM
Jamesn
Scooby Regular

I sprayed my sideskirts with Halfords cans, and they looked beautiful.
Then I realised that they were much darker than the rest of the car.
The paint code was correct, and so was the primer, but the paint just comes out too thick from a can...
Old 30 December 2002, 04:43 PM
TCMY95
Scooby Regular

Autopaints will match the colour to your car(if you take a sample) and put it in a large aerosol for you....not tried it myself but I have heard about it. You can always get some P1000's after wards and flat it off...its not the end of the world if you make a mess..
Old 02 January 2003, 06:42 PM
Sparky1066
Scooby Regular

I Re-sprayed pretty much all of my last car with a mate in my garage, and it looked very good. I then had some of the same paint put into cans (aersols), and sprayed the side skirts and the front wings. My mate then laquered them out of a gun, and they looked just as good as the rest of the car, but the final coat (the laquer) was applied by a spray gun.
Old 02 January 2003, 08:18 PM
gWRXm
Scooby Regular

just sent my spoiler over to germany, bought the paint from halfords, and a sraygun from les smiths will post the results
Old 03 January 2003, 04:55 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Is DBM mettalic?, if so yes put lacquer on.
Old 05 January 2003, 12:34 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

fdpxfunix - you could flat the runs etc off with some very fine (1200 grit) paper so you get an even matt finish. Then laquer them. (Get a different laquer to the Halfords one - I thought it was awful) You will get a nice shine back on the wedges then.
Old 09 January 2003, 09:34 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Just done my MY98's rear quarters and sills with the Halfords stuff - Cleaned the sills, keyed with 1200 paper, rubbed down, 5 coats of primer (left 24 hours), keyed again, rubbed down, 4 coats of Halfords paint (out of a can ), (left 24 hours), cleaned and laquered 4 coats. Looks fantastic and better than the body shop did on my front bumper

Planning on doing the wing mirrors/door handles next weekend
Old 09 January 2003, 08:07 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
gWRXm how much did you pay for the spraygun. I wanna do my sills on my bugeye, and also my fog covers, and I have a lip spoiler coming so I may as well get a spray gun. Anyone know what sort of price?
Old 09 January 2003, 08:15 PM
Scooby Bloo
Scooby Regular

I'm mo expert but, my mates a sprayer and he says you should apply the lacqer before the paint dries thoroughly. this gives the lacqer chance to key to the paintwork.

Too many people let the paint dry out, when stress cracks appear the lacqer flakes off.
Old 09 January 2003, 09:56 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Check out the ventOM 231 + spraying kit for about 130 quid. I'm very paranoid about spraying anything myself on my brand new bugeye using Halfords cans but this will last for ages and do a good job AND i can do cheap jobs for other people!
Old 12 January 2003, 02:08 AM
deanmachine
Scooby Regular

WWW.MACHINEMART.co.uk have some good price spray guns and compressers.
Old 13 January 2003, 10:54 AM
DJ ATOMIC
Scooby Regular

mate its not that bad i sprayed two minis about 5 different colors over about 4 years did it my self every time

just a few things to remember dont rush anything its hard not to rush trust me make shure you have rubbed back the primmer a bit before spraying never leave the primmer over night or in a cold place as gray primmer soaks in water in the air and can lead to paint bubbles with water in them

get a tacky cloth you can get these from motorworld or halfords they are like a sticky cloth that when rubbed over takes off any dust that might be on the surface

dampen down where you are spraying even if its not that dusty wet the floor well as dust will come up and settle on your paint job!!

add the color coat in thin layers just take your time do one coat go for a cup of tea and go back in 10-15 mins and give it another keep going until you have a nice color coat over it ,,leave to dry over night in warm place

rub it down again with fine wet and dry and get ride of any bumps etc use tacky cloth to get rid of dust and give it one last coat of color

you dont have to put the laquer on when the color is still wet as the paint will eat into the color coat anyway if you do spray on undry paint it can course the paint to crack and go like crazy paving.(leave it to dry)

top coat

again take your time as the top coat is very important do fine coats first building up the laquer it way not look shiney yet but dont worry leave to dry then rub back again to remove the nibs and any bumps then for the final coat remix some paint or just thin what you have in the gun a wee bit not to much but enough when this is sprayed on it will take longer to dry and allow the paint to flatten, be carefull of how much you put on as you dont want runs, leave to dry over the next few days then rub it back with wet and dry and pollish with t cut or cutting paste then pollish and you should have a very nice looking spoiler or car

sorry for any spelling or grammer mistakes

jo

o ye dont worry to much about bits that may come out of the spray gun when spraying these are little lumps of paint just leave them and rub them off when dry (very dry)

and wear a mask or you will be snorting silver paint (or what ever color your car is) for months after

[Edited by DJ ATOMIC - 1/13/2003 11:00:59 AM]
Old 15 January 2003, 10:20 PM
pcdude
Scooby Regular

Jen
can you give us a list of how many cans etc,,,, u used pls
Old 17 January 2003, 09:14 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

I don't pretend to be an expert - all the advice I got was from Moles Dad's threads on Scoobynet -

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=136407
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=140512
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=142421

...but that should be good 'cos if I can do it anyone can

I brought all the things at one to do the side skirts and rear quarters, wing mirrors, door handles and washer jets - it was 3x 500ml cans of primer and 1x 300ml, 3 can's of the Halfords Subaru Paint (I think they're 300ml cans, but they only come in one size anyway ) and 2x 500ml cans of laquer (although I should have really brought an extra 300ml as I used every last drop!).

To do the skirts and rear quarters only I think I used 2x 500ml primer, 2x cans of coloured paint and 1 1/3x cans of laquer. That was for 4/5x coats of primer, 4/5x coats of paint and /34x coats of lacquer ...from what I've read you just keep going 'till it looks right!

It does look darker initially, but I found after 1/2 days it dulls down and I now have an excellent match on the car (and I'm very fussy!) (although it now shows the dirt )
Old 17 January 2003, 10:01 AM
pcdude
Scooby Regular

thx alot Jen for info
Old 01 March 2003, 04:10 PM
fdpxfunix
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Chaps

I've just done my first bit of spraying using the Halfords paint mixing service by colour coding the 'wedges' in Dark Blue Mica (52D)

Key'd the wedges, 4 coats of plastic primer and then 6 coats of the Halfords paint and they both looked fantastic. The finish was excellent, but the colour match was wrong. Took the paint back to Halfords and they agreed it was mixed wrong to their credit they made me up another free of charge

Did not prepare the wedges as well the 2nd time round, so the finish is good but not fantastic. The colour match is pretty damn good tho.

The paint does seem to come out of the can at quite a rate of knots, so I've got too much paint in places and a couple of runs, but nothing you would notice on where these parts live in the bumper.

I want to do the skirts (sills) but I think more practice is needed or a spray gun.

Do I have to bother with a clear lacquer on the 'wedges' ?

J.

Edit to change 'laquer' to 'lacquer'

[Edited by fdpxfunix - 1/3/2003 4:13:45 PM]