Anybody info regarding Diy-Digital boost gauge

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2002, 12:25 PM
loscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all!

I am getting inspired reading all posts from guys like J. Banks about diy-boost controllers and such.

I need to get myself a AFR-meter and a Boost-meter of some kind but I am running out of mony having ordered the APS Stage 1-kit for my Impreza(My00), so a do-it-yourself kit seems like the option to go.
I have found some good info regarding AFR-meters at DonTronics but I still looking for a good Diy-digital boost meter.
Does anybody know of a diy-kit for a digital boost meter?

/L-O
Old 20 January 2002, 05:27 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know of any kits, but you could make my DIY AFR meter project and cascade say three together to give you 30 LEDs from -10 to +20 PSI or if you want resolution on boost say 30 LEDs from 5 to 20PSI in 0.5PSI steps. See the LM3914N data sheet from my DIY AFR thread on how to cascade them together.

Alternatively get a digital voltmeter module and bias the input voltage to calibrate it to PSI? Only problem is that most of these modules only sample at 3Hz.

If you felt brave you could use a microcontroller to do the task. The one I used for my boost controller costs about £7 and has 6 ADC inputs and plenty of ports for running an LCD display.

But you could just buy a £30 boost gauge and run it with a calibrated one from your local tuning shop for a run and see how much error there is - mine under-reads by 1PSI on full boost compared with MAP sensor, rolling road and calibrated gauge.