Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thought they would be champions league contenders this season, not a chance
wiley
Old 18 September 2008, 11:09 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here we go: this statement from Ramos brings back memories of Martin Jol's long list of excuses!

"For me, the big problem is adaptation and the need for time. The worst thing for us was losing Berbatov at the last moment and we didn't have time to sign a new player. But business is business. It was impossible."

Bullsh!t: Spurs could have sold Berbatov to Man U way back in June. That would have provided ample time and money to replace him. It wasn't impossible at all, it was just Levy's greed for cash that delayed that transfer till the last minute.

Also:

"The decisions are made together. Not one person is responsible. Whether it is winning or losing, we do things together."

Hmm..., collective responsibility at a Premier League club? He sounds a bit naive to me

"I think in some positions we are better than last year, in others we are worse. The squad is the squad."

Doesn't sound very promising for Spurs fans with 3 and half months to go until the next transfer window opens!
Old 18 September 2008, 11:45 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo2
Bullsh!t: Spurs could have sold Berbatov to Man U way back in June. That would have provided ample time and money to replace him. It wasn't impossible at all, it was just Levy's greed for cash that delayed that transfer till the last minute.
Sorry mate but are you saying Spurs should sell their best player to Man U at a cut price?

Don't you think the top four have enough in their favour without other clubs discounting their best players to them?

Man U didn't meet Spurs valuation so they didn't sell. If Man U is supposed the be 'the biggest club in the world' as Fergie keeps saying, surely they can afford the extra few million quid? Why should Spurs sell cheap? Fergie said time was on their side but it obviously wasn't.

It has nothing to do with Levy's Greed, it's about the powerhouses with all the finances trying to fleece the smaller clubs by tapping up their players. I don't hold anything against Berbie, if another company came and offered me twice the money, I'd want to go too.

Sure, I think our season has got off to a **** start, and I've never said we are a big club or will be a champions league side. Seen it every year and I don't expect it. In fact, I'm tired of the media going on about it as it just heaps pressure on the team.
Old 18 September 2008, 02:15 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Berbatov is only worth what a club is prepared to pay for him. Prior to Man City coming into money one day before the transfer window closed, only Man U had shown any genuine interest in buying him. If Spurs didn't want to sell him to Man U during the summer, then fine and good luck to them, but don't start using this "last moment" sale as an excuse for a p!ss poor start to the season. Late on deadline day Levy had already accepted Man City's massive offer, so even if Man U hadn't upped their bid to match, Berbatov would probably still have been sold on transfer deadline day (even if Berba now denies it to appease his new red fans!)

Sure Levy's last minute game of poker may have made him a few million more, but in doing so he left his manager in the crap and short of his best player and probably ending any chance of Champions League qualification before it even started!

Anyway believe it or not Football is not all about money. If I was a Spurs fan I'd much rather see my team sitting at the top of the league, than know that we had squeezed an extra 6 million quid out of Man U when selling them our best player.

I am glad you're realistic about your club's abilities, but there are many who aren't. I'm a Villa fan and despite regular Premier League success against the other middle and lower-ranked Clubs, I know we will probably never make it back to the top of the tree. Our results against the Big 4 are woeful: I think we have only won 1 Premier League match against any of them in nigh on 4 years of football! That sort of statistic puts everything else into context and shows you the chasm between the haves and the have not quite as muches.
Old 18 September 2008, 02:47 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

I agree a player is only worth what a club is willing to pay, but surely that only stands when a player is for sale? If a club wants to buy a player when the club wants to keep him, the buying club must meet the valuation.

Much like selling your car; if someone offered you £2000 even if fair value but you didn't want to sell it, they would have to bid significantly more to prise it away.

I'm pretty sure Berbie only went as Man City offered more than the asking price so Man U had to in order to get their man. As you say, he would have been off to City otherwise. Best part of it was seeing Man U struggle scoring goals and Fergie **** himself at the prospect of missing out... Esp after the 'time on our side' comment.

I also agree with you that using the excuse is a cop-out. They're professionals and should be able to deal with it.

As a Villa fan, I would of thought you would understand not selling your best player (Barry/Liverpool) just because a 'big four' club had made a bid. I was happy to see O'Neill not give in to player throwing his toys out the pram and Liverpool being told to take it or leave it.

Would have beenb interested to see if Liverpool would have upped their bid if City made a similar bid for Barry..

I just read my last post again and it comes across as quite aggressive, I apologise - I didn't mean that as there is enough of that going on.

Last edited by rossi_p; 18 September 2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 18 September 2008, 04:07 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Jol top of the Bundesliga at the moment,