Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie - The Hunt Begins

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2013, 10:23 PM
mfnick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie - The Hunt Begins. Now Time to Buy!!!

Hey, new signing here.

Currently I own a Civic Type R (EP3 model) but over next month or so I'm hoping that will be gone and replaced with a nice WR blue Impreza STi. A car I've wanted for as long as I can remember.

So basically I've signed up here to do a bit of lurking, a bit of info digging to seperate the facts from fiction, make sure I know what I need to be looking for and make myself known a bit for when I do finally get my grubby mitts on one. Maybe even find one on here to buy off a enthusiast.

I'm looking for a Bugeye or Blobeye - preferably Blobeye but I'll be happy with a Bug as long as the price and spec is right. Was going for a PPP one but after reading some things about the ECU not being re-map friendly I'm no 100% now. One of those things I need to research on here a bit more.

Anyway, that's why I'm here. Hopefully I'll be posting pics of my new used Impreza soon enough.

Last edited by mfnick; 11 August 2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 16 July 2013, 11:02 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Welcome matey

Use the search button well, you'll find out loads of info and questions to ask and those not to

Get you car and enjoy it...
Old 17 July 2013, 10:21 AM
mfnick
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the welcome mate.
Haha yea, just like any forum ive been on. Already been hammering the search & got a load of threads bookmarked to read through properly.
Old 17 July 2013, 10:23 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

welcome matey from a previous ep3 owner
Old 17 July 2013, 10:27 AM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

The ecu is perfectly fine i believe to be remapped. I would not even look for a ppp model. Look for a car that is perfect for you and then have it remapped, which is better option than a ppp. My opinion tho mate. Happy hunting.

When you have found a couple that you like post them up on here and the lads will give you the pros and cons of each one.

Good Luck
Old 17 July 2013, 10:28 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome.

The thing about the PPP ecu not being remap friendly is rubbish.
Old 17 July 2013, 10:55 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mfnick
Hey, new signing here.

Currently I own a Civic Type R (EP3 model) but over next month or so I'm hoping that will be gone and replaced with a nice WR blue Impreza STi. A car I've wanted for as long as I can remember.

So basically I've signed up here to do a bit of lurking, a bit of info digging to seperate the facts from fiction, make sure I know what I need to be looking for and make myself known a bit for when I do finally get my grubby mitts on one. Maybe even find one on here to buy off a enthusiast.

I'm looking for a Bugeye or Blobeye - preferably Blobeye but I'll be happy with a Bug as long as the price and spec is right. Was going for a PPP one but after reading some things about the ECU not being re-map friendly I'm no 100% now. One of those things I need to research on here a bit more.

Anyway, that's why I'm here. Hopefully I'll be posting pics of my new used Impreza soon enough.
AAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've only just recovered from a similar initial post !

Anyway, hello and welcome.

As already said, search for and find the right thread(s) and you'll find almost all you need to know. The rest, just ask.

Once you've got your eyes on one, post and I'm sure you'll have loads of replies on what to look out for when you view and drive it.

Happy hunting.
Old 17 July 2013, 11:01 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Keep the EP3, lots of people prefer them as street cars over new ages.
Old 17 July 2013, 11:03 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Keep the EP3, lots of people prefer them as street cars over new ages.
they are great cars for every day use and i really miss mine
Old 17 July 2013, 11:27 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
They are a bit 'Baz & Daz' don't u think?
Old 17 July 2013, 12:15 PM
leigh1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta

I've had 3 ep3's and have to admit I love them.. My best one was running 414bhp with a gt30r
Old 17 July 2013, 01:11 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
They are a bit 'Baz & Daz' don't u think?
dont know baz or daz so cant comment
Old 17 July 2013, 09:43 PM
mfnick
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the welcome guys!
Good to hear about the PPP ECU, looking at what it would cost to mod a regular STi to similar performance seems high compared to initial cost for the PPP version so that's why I was after one with Prodrive. Am I wrong in thinking that?

What went wrong last time Welschap? Doesn't sound good, hopefully won't mess up in same way...

As for the CTR - yeah, I love mine too. But I wat a change now and I've always wanted a Impreza STi. Even if I end up not liking it (which i highly doubt!) at least it'll be out of my system haha.

After looking a bit more i would like to ask what you guys think of the Classic STi Type R compared to a newage STi? Seen it pop up in a few newbie recommendations and its does look appealing but the age is a bit of a concern. Could potentially have a lot more problems/niggles.

This will be a weekend/fun car btw. I have a van for work duties so don't need it day to day.

Edit -plus look at this I could get for around the same or less than the Type R. Or less than what I was expecting to pay for a average mileage Blobeye actually! http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...k-2003/1456035
FSH, mods already done (would have to check where at), recent cam belt change and mot with no advisories. Lot younger, can't argue with that one at all. Unless I'm missing something???

Last edited by mfnick; 17 July 2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 17 July 2013, 10:14 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

As I always do on these occasions, I'll refer you to this topic:

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ame-query.html

Don't forget how old the cars you're looking at are, and go in with your eyes open.
But when you find the good one you're after, it will be worth it I assure you.
Old 17 July 2013, 10:27 PM
mfnick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Osimabu
As I always do on these occasions, I'll refer you to this topic:

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ame-query.html

Don't forget how old the cars you're looking at are, and go in with your eyes open.
But when you find the good one you're after, it will be worth it I assure you.
Wow! Thanks for that, something I may not have found from my general searches. The opener of that strikes true too. I do have a habit of letting my heart (& my impatience) rule my head. Especially with cars. I'll have to be careful about that when getting one of these.
Old 17 July 2013, 10:53 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the welcome guys!
Good to hear about the PPP ECU, looking at what it would cost to mod a regular STi to similar performance seems high compared to initial cost for the PPP version so that's why I was after one with Prodrive. Am I wrong in thinking that?

What went wrong last time Welschap? Doesn't sound good, hopefully won't mess up in same way...

As for the CTR - yeah, I love mine too. But I wat a change now and I've always wanted a Impreza STi. Even if I end up not liking it (which i highly doubt!) at least it'll be out of my system haha.

After looking a bit more i would like to ask what you guys think of the Classic STi Type R compared to a newage STi? Seen it pop up in a few newbie recommendations and its does look appealing but the age is a bit of a concern. Could potentially have a lot more problems/niggles.

This will be a weekend/fun car btw. I have a van for work duties so don't need it day to day.

Edit -plus look at this I could get for around the same or less than the Type R. Or less than what I was expecting to pay for a average mileage Blobeye actually! http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...k-2003/1456035
FSH, mods already done (would have to check where at), recent cam belt change and mot with no advisories. Lot younger, can't argue with that one at all. Unless I'm missing something???
We've just finished an er... entertaining thread where a perosn in the same position as you asked 'which is the best Subaru to buy'.

Each to their own, and it certainly showed.
Some don't like the esteem that STi's are held in, some can't stand blue, some don't like the comments of those who don't like the esteem that STi's are held in and others don't like the comments of those who don't like blue.

Then there's another lot who - oh, it doesn't matter.......

On the more serious matter you'll find all the advice you need somewhere on here.

Again, good hunting.
Old 18 July 2013, 06:23 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...which-one.html

Old 18 July 2013, 08:09 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Yep, THAT one !

Old 10 August 2013, 06:50 PM
mfnick
Scooby Regular

Ha, yea I did see that one on my travels around the site actually. Well, it's got to be blue and a STi for me, no matter what anyone else says ;-)

And on this subject, during my many hours browsing these cars lately I've just come across this little gem/screw up/frighteningly cheap one...

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...unning/1615559

£3400!?!

Now that it looks ok so I can't help but be tempted. But the price is scaring the crap out of me. Even if its actually just a WRX that's cheap. But maybe she just doesn't have a clue what she has is worth. Probably not and its more likely got some problems or a hidden, messed up past but i can hope right? Haha.

Now I'm going to email her for more info and pics. Maybe even see it since its not that far away. But I'm just wondering if you guys think I shouldn't even entertain looking at this at that price? Or do you think it's worth at least having a look and seeing if I end up being incredibly lucky? Keep in mind at that price I've got a few grand left over which could cover some potential problems.

Cheers

Edit - just done a reg check and seems to check out too.

Last edited by mfnick; 10 August 2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10 August 2013, 07:40 PM
RICKSTER555
Scooby Regular

The cant be contacted through pistonheads would make me proceed with caution on that, advert is a bit short aswell. Have to agree the price is great if it is all ok.

Last edited by RICKSTER555; 10 August 2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: .
Old 10 August 2013, 07:48 PM
mfnick
Scooby Regular

True, name on the emai is different too. Gotta be careful...

I have got the money to buy one from a reputable trader like Paul Browns, Redline etc. so dont think ill take the risk at all but can't help but be curious as crazy as it is.

See what kind of reply/virus I get back.

Might have got a buyer for my car tomorrow . So might be posting a few to compare tomorrow to see what you guys think if that's ok?
Old 10 August 2013, 07:52 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

True, name on the emai is different too. Gotta be careful...

I have got the money to buy one from a reputable trader like Paul Browns, Redline etc. so dont think ill take the risk at all but can't help but be curious as crazy as it is.

See what kind of reply/virus I get back.

Might have got a buyer for my car tomorrow . So might be posting a few to compare tomorrow to see what you guys think if that's ok?
paul brown and redline......................:cuck oo:
Old 10 August 2013, 08:07 PM
mfnick
Scooby Regular

Really? Are they no good? Sure I'd read they were ok and after sales sounds ok too.

Is there any you would recommend?
Cheers!

Last edited by mfnick; 10 August 2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10 August 2013, 11:51 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Ha, yea I did see that one on my travels around the site actually. Well, it's got to be blue and a STi for me, no matter what anyone else says ;-)

And on this subject, during my many hours browsing these cars lately I've just come across this little gem/screw up/frighteningly cheap one...

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...unning/1615559

£3400!?!

Now that it looks ok so I can't help but be tempted. But the price is scaring the crap out of me. Even if its actually just a WRX that's cheap. But maybe she just doesn't have a clue what she has is worth. Probably not and its more likely got some problems or a hidden, messed up past but i can hope right? Haha.

Now I'm going to email her for more info and pics. Maybe even see it since its not that far away. But I'm just wondering if you guys think I shouldn't even entertain looking at this at that price? Or do you think it's worth at least having a look and seeing if I end up being incredibly lucky? Keep in mind at that price I've got a few grand left over which could cover some potential problems.

Cheers

Edit - just done a reg check and seems to check out too.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but at that price even £2k's worth of work needed would still make it a good buy.

However, as mentioned it's quite a peculiar way of advertising and selling.

The only piece of advice I'm prepared to give is an old saying that "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is".

Apart from arrange to view it, since it's not a million miles away.

Lots of members will tell you what to look/watch out for.
Old 11 August 2013, 04:25 PM
mfnick
Scooby Regular

Well, didn get a reply from that so not even going to chance it.

In better news, I've now got a buyer for my car!
So going to line up some viewings for next week/weekend.

Just after some opinions on these please assuming they have FSH, cambelt changed at 50k and pass the sub frame and suspense knocks tests and Hpi check.

Need to ring for full info but seems a good price for 70k. Need to double check my insurer too since my quote was on a type uk newage. But I do like the Classic Type R and has DCCD.
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...d-4999/1509575

This is basically the same spec I was after apart from not having Pro Drive. But since you guys have told me not to worry about that, worth a look eh?
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...ype-uk/1218130

One with the exact spec I was after. A bit pricier but sounds like the paperwork is sound and has a tracker already which would save me a job. Horrible headlights though. Are the OEM lights easy and cheap to get?
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...ype-uk/1553976
Never heard of Clive's performance either? Anybody had any experience with them?

Another from Clive. Year younger but nearly same price and not pro drive. Really worth it for a car that's a year younger do you think?
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...ype-uk/1399483

Exact type I'm after again -STi Pro drive Blobeye. Few more miles on it but a lot cheaper than the other and I only do around 6k miles a year so not too much of a problem?
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...xample/1449366

Going to get a viewing at all those. What do you guys think. Any that stand out for you in a good or bad way? Maybe I've missed something?

Oh and as for why I'm still after PPP - paying for a exhaust and remap would surely come to a fair amount more than the extra cost of buying one already fitted with pro drive where I don't need to necessarily look at doing any mods for a long time wouldn't it? Or am I mistaken?

Last edited by mfnick; 11 August 2013 at 04:48 PM.