Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got 6k spare - want an impreza, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2013, 07:50 PM
Kam B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got 6k spare - want an impreza, which one?

Hi All, I have about 6k spare and i want an impreza

Question is what will my budget buy me? Iv just started looking and trying to get the most bang for buck
Old 10 July 2013, 07:55 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Nice type R with about 330bhp. Great fun and deffo best 'bang for buck'.
Old 10 July 2013, 07:58 PM
Kam B
Scooby Regular

Type R's are very nice and Iv always wanted one but i need a 4 door and was hoping a blob eye or after
Old 10 July 2013, 08:16 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Blob wrx it is then with a bit of change for a service and a few mods.
Old 10 July 2013, 08:32 PM
Kam B
Scooby Regular

What mods would you recommend? is a PPP in budget?
Old 10 July 2013, 08:59 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Don't worry too much about finding a car with PPP.
Hunt out a standard'ish low mile wrx with good history. Use your left over cash to add a nice exhaust system with sports cat downpipe, a new fancy panel filter and an open source remap.

Your budget won't quite stretch to a decent sti but you will bag yourself a very tidy wrx for well under 5K.
Old 10 July 2013, 08:59 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

You will get a blob sti for 6k if you look about and you get so much more for your money
Old 10 July 2013, 09:03 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
You will get a blob sti for 6k if you look about and you get so much more for your money
Stick a few links up.
Old 10 July 2013, 09:07 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Stick a few links up.
I'm not saying there are loads about at that price but they are about , my mate just brought a really nice prodrive sti bug for 4k and everyone says you can't get them at that price either but we did after a couple of weeks looking
Old 10 July 2013, 09:14 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
I'm not saying there are loads about at that price but they are about , my mate just brought a really nice prodrive sti bug for 4k and everyone says you can't get them at that price either but we did after a couple of weeks looking

If you find a 6K blob STI worth owning then stick a link up buddy.
Times are hard for people and its a buyers market so yes, occasionally a good STI can be found at a bargain price. However, general consensus is that with a budget of that of the OP a blob wrx is the car to own with a couple of grand left in the pot.

I totally agree that the sti is the better car and if it was, I'd save up another grand and buy a nice blob sti.
Old 10 July 2013, 09:16 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in november i got an 05 blob wrx for £3600

i fitted a vf35 (£260), pinks (£80), full decat exhaust (£250), walbro (£80) and an open source remap by racedynamix and i've got 330bhp

so even if you spend £4,500 on a car, £1,000 or so on mods, theres £500 for a full service or brembo's

i'd also consider a type R too
Old 10 July 2013, 09:17 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought an 03 plate sti with 38k on clock with ppp and prodrive 18 inch alloys for 5,900 last Novembe. Not a massive bargain as there were cheaper out there but you end up spending thousands getting them right. An 03/04 sti is well in your budget if you look around.
Old 10 July 2013, 09:19 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
If you find a 6K blob STI worth owning then stick a link up buddy.
Times are hard for people and its a buyers market so yes, occasionally a good STI can be found at a bargain price. However, general consensus is that with a budget of that of the OP a blob wrx is the car to own with a couple of grand left in the pot.

I totally agree that the sti is the better car and if it was, I'd save up another grand and buy a nice blob sti.
I brought a nice low miles 55 plate hawk sti with my 7k (well 7.3k) about 3 months ago so you will be surprised what you can get with your money if you bargain hard. , as like you said its a buyers market
Old 10 July 2013, 11:45 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most motoring journo's says that whilst the STi is the better track car, the WRX is a better road car. Yes the sti has better brakes, dccd, bigger intercooler and different interior but for the budget a WRX is prob the best bet (I'm already waiting for the bashing I'll get from sti owners!).

The blobeye WRX PPP has the same power and slightly higher torque at lower revs than a standard sti.

Yes I am biased, I have a WRX PPP but do I wish I bought a sti and the extra grand or two that it'd cost - no. The extra couple of grand bought me another car as a run around. The WRX PPP is plenty fast enough for public roads, is reliable and is cheaper. If you have the money for a STi then buy an STI

Last edited by Donnie Brasco 46; 10 July 2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Badly written
Old 11 July 2013, 12:16 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Wow these cars are really cheap as chips these days.

Top gear might use one as a cheap banger on an Africa trip?
Old 11 July 2013, 10:33 AM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

if i had 6k id be looking at a BMW E46 M3

HTH lol
Old 11 July 2013, 01:56 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Donnie Brasco 46
Most motoring journo's says that whilst the STi is the better track car, the WRX is a better road car. Yes the sti has better brakes, dccd, bigger intercooler and different interior but for the budget a WRX is prob the best bet (I'm already waiting for the bashing I'll get from sti owners!).

The blobeye WRX PPP has the same power and slightly higher torque at lower revs than a standard sti.

Yes I am biased, I have a WRX PPP but do I wish I bought a sti and the extra grand or two that it'd cost - no. The extra couple of grand bought me another car as a run around. The WRX PPP is plenty fast enough for public roads, is reliable and is cheaper. If you have the money for a STi then buy an STI
Bit more to it than comparing a WRX PPP to a bog standard STI.
Bog standard STI for example is pretty dead in standard form.
A PPP exhaust system and a remap will let it see 340bhp with similar torque - brembo's cope fine at that level and so does the standard clutch & box.

Depends on what you want next - the 5 speed box can only handle so much you know.

Horses for courses and all that..........
Old 11 July 2013, 02:02 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

I have the same problem can't decide to buy a uk wrx sti 03/04 plate with around 30,000ish miles and standard then throw money at it or a jdm wrx sti with around 350bhp but around 60,000 mile and then throw less money at that because they cost more and want around 450bhp eventually but can decide which is best for now and future mods.
Old 11 July 2013, 02:09 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

2006on WRX for me, something like this:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...o-2006/1509477

Yes I now have an STI but the hawk WRX was a really nice entrance to Subaru ownership, nice to drive an quick enough around town to keep me happy.
Old 14 July 2013, 10:55 PM
Kam B
Scooby Regular

I think I may stretch to a type uk wide track if I do get an impreza Thanks guys
Old 15 July 2013, 06:21 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abx
2006on WRX for me, something like this:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...o-2006/1509477

Yes I now have an STI but the hawk WRX was a really nice entrance to Subaru ownership, nice to drive an quick enough around town to keep me happy.
2.5 engine is weak in standard form.
Old 15 July 2013, 08:03 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Donnie Brasco 46

It's pointless trying to tell people the reality mate, I have said it until i'm blue in the face, but here goes AGAIN.

The WRX PPP is LIGHTER it has LONGER GEAR RATIO'S it has MORE TORQUE which comes in LOWER DOWN in the rev range, it's turbo SPOOLS FASTER.

SO what does this mean in the real world I'll tell you.

It means your already a car and a half in front in 1st gear.

While the STI is looking for 3rd around 50/55mph your already doing 60mph in second.

When your heading to a 100mph in 3rd the STI is grabbing 4th at about 80/85mph.

When you get to about 120mph the STI starts to make some ground up and might pass you just shy of 140mph if the road is long enough and straight enough.

Around town the WRX is firm but not harsh over bumps unlike the STI in which you spend more time looking for pot holes than where your going, add to that the constant up down, up down, notch, notch of the clutch pedal and crappy gear box.

And that's before we start talking about the god AWFUL blue seats, I mean who the **** has BRIGHT BLUE SEATS, Barry

And don't get me started on the ironing board that does absolutely **** all except slow the car down and make it look like a tarts handbag.

But yeah buy the STI it's a much better car.
Old 15 July 2013, 08:53 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Fresh post just to add.

STI suspension is better for track but you'll have to change it to some CHEAP coil overs because it will knock the **** out of the rear turrets by around 60k miles or before.

The brembo front brakes are better but you will have to get them heli coiled every time you want to change the pads or upgrade to some CHEAP 8 pots.

The rear spoiler creates so much drag you'll be stuck at 140mph being pulled backwards by it.

The bigger scoop will make the bonnet look like a fat belly dancers **** at 130mph and have you thinking the bonnet is about to go north as the WRX disappears into the sunset off the clock at 160mph.

Then the STI owner starts spending like a man possessed, BIGGER TURBO, BIGGER INJECTORS,BIGGER FMIC, BIGGER BRAKES, BIGGER FUEL PUMP, REMAP, AREO CATCHES, REVERSE SCOOP, SMALLER REAR SPOILER.

End result £5k+ lighter and 450bhp, can't drive it or if he does it goes pop, next step 2.1 stroker in for a penny in for a pound £5k lighter 450bhp.

Is it any faster well not to 60mph and probably not to 90mph either.

OK I here you say it must be it's got 450bhp, now that may well be BUT it's still got that crappy gear box and a slower spooling turbo and it's still heavier.

Fight it all you like STI fan boys facts are facts and you can't fight physics or gear ratios or 500 rpm faster spool.

Oh the STI WILL be quicker on track and after about 90mph.

And of course there is nothing to stop the WRX owner taking his car to circa 350/370 bhp for identical outlay at which point it will have a SMALLER FASTER SPOOLING TURBO, LONGER GEAR RATIO'S and STILL be LIGHTER.

But yeah buy the STI, it's a better base to mod from and it's faster.

"Yeah but it's an STI and a modded WRX is still just a WRX"

Reality; not many people want a highly modded STI or WRX so you either return it to standard and deceive the new purchaser when you sell it on or like so many you break it and try to recoup a bit more cash that way.

End result Even Stevens oh except the STI cost £3k more and sold for the same in scrap, oh except for the gearbox which will fetch £1k more than a WRX box.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 15 July 2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 15 July 2013, 09:04 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Ditch, you know I respect you and if im honest you have changed my opinion recently with regard to the wrx.

But, you compare a ppp wrx with a standard sti. Whats your opinions on a ppp wrx vs ppp sti or better still, a custom mapped wrx vs a mapped sti ?? Or even a standard wrx vs standard sti ?

We all know that in reality the ppp doesn't add any value to the cars so I think a comparison between the two models would be good given both have ppp.

Oh, and toatally agree on the seats and spoiler....lol..... why they chose blue is beyond me and the spoiler does just that, spoils it....lol

Last edited by MattyB1983; 15 July 2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 15 July 2013, 09:31 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Matty, I think most of what I say still holds true until you start heading north of 360 bhp all things being equal both cars move up the scale in parallel, i've done a bit of an edit while you were posting, and like I say the 5 speed and smaller turbo wins out up to 100 mph.

Take that onto a country road and the same applies especially if both cars have had suspension and brake upgrades, the STI will be up and down the box and later to come on song.

Ok the STI box is stronger but only if your ham fisted and mercy less will you kill a 5 speed at 350 bhp, and there have been plenty incidents of the 6 speed needing a "refresh" so again the ham fisted mercy less driver will be quite capable of destroying a 6 speed also.

Tbh I think they both have their pluses and minuses, but I just like to counter the STI is best with some cold hard facts, just in the interest of a fair debate as everyone bangs on about the STI like it's the HOLY GRAIL of subaru but the reality is actually a slightly different story.
Old 15 July 2013, 09:38 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

the sti wins hands down and i can comment as i have a custom mapped sti and emma a custom mapped wrx.
the 5 speeds long ratios let it down under fast driving on country roads and the lack of torque doesnt help.
both cars run coilovers and big brakes, the wrx doesnt get near the sti.

oh and the ppp is rubbish, mine had it when i bought it and a custom remap is ten times better in terms of driveability.

the better road car argument is crap, if you want a comfortable road car dont get an impreza, people buy them for performance and the proper performance model is the sti.

on a country road the six speed is better as the lower ratios keep the turbo spooling, on the wrx you get more lag waiting for the turbo to spool up due to longer gearing, i have a regular route to work around the back roads and tried it in both cars .

these are cold hard facts learnt from experience.........

2 out of ten for the trolling attempt though ditchy, jimmy in rugby was better lol

Last edited by tubbytommy; 15 July 2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 15 July 2013, 10:02 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I'd suggest that's more down to what your used to driving, and as such know how to get the best out of it, and your brakes and suspension are better than M's.

I don't dispute that the remapped WRX V'S the remapped STI or the standard WRX V'S the standard STI is an even contest.

My main point is regards this assumption that it's a NO contest or that the STI is the ultimate in terms of modding, when in fact many of the components that make it "better" WILL require replacing and once done like for like there is still nothing in it, and either can let go above 350bhp and require engine and gear box rebuilds, yes the WRX "may" be more likely to let go but this forum is littered with tales of woe for BOTH.
Old 15 July 2013, 10:05 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

2 out of ten for the trolling attempt though ditchy, jimmy in rugby was better lol
[/QUOTE]

I never TROLL mate, I leave that to those have a need to make themselves and their cars appear superior and their crowd of delusional adoring followers.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 15 July 2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 15 July 2013, 10:07 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I'd suggest that's more down to what your used to driving, and as such know how to get the best out of it, and your brakes and suspension are better than M's.

I don't dispute that the remapped WRX V'S the remapped STI or the standard WRX V'S the standard STI is an even contest.

My main point is regards this assumption that it's a NO contest or that the STI is the ultimate in terms of modding, when in fact many of the components that make it "better" WILL require replacing and once done like for like there is still nothing in it, and either can let go above 350bhp and require engine and gear box rebuilds, yes the WRX "may" be more likely to let go but this forum is littered with tales of woe for BOTH.
no emma has eibach coilovers and brembos, not wrx stuff, the speed around the back roads has nothing to with handling, the 6 speed box makes the car have more usuable power, the 5 speeds long ratios make it slower as does the lack of avcs.
the kick you get on boost in the sti is far more brutal than the wrxs.

the sti engine is also proven top be strong to 450 bhp.

hey but im speaking from experience here
Old 15 July 2013, 10:12 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

oh and before your next comment about mods.
BOTH cars run standard turbos and injectors.

Quick Reply: Got 6k spare - want an impreza, which one?