Buying a car in the UK as a foreigner

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2012, 07:14 AM
Snilsson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a car in the UK as a foreigner

Hi!

I live in Sweden and I am planning to do a little trip to the UK to buy an STI. Some of you may wonder why, and the answer is simple: money.

For the same money I get an Bugeye WRX with ~100k miles in Sweden I could get an -05 STI with ~50k miles in the UK. So I do think I can live with the steering wheel being on the "wrong" side.

Anyway, what is the general opinion of international buyers? I know it can sound a bit shady, I wouldn't even answer if a foreign buyer wanted to buy my car.

But my plan to be as trustworthy and smooth as possible is to go to UK and see some cars in person and if I find a car I want I'll just transfer money via Paypal or directly to the sellers bank account.
What do you think or what would you prefer?

Any tips or ideas is more than welcome!
Old 27 July 2012, 07:22 AM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

dont think you will get many sellers wanting a full payment through paypal
Old 27 July 2012, 07:24 AM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Be honest with the seller mate and tell them your intentions etc. You will find a few sellers are a bit edgy with foreigners buying as we dont know if the money is real etc.

Tell the seller that if you both agree to a deal then you want to go to their named bank and complete the bank transfer that way. As long as the seller is in control, you should have an easy journey hpwever every car you want to look at, call them rather then text matey

Good luck with it!!!
Old 27 July 2012, 07:36 AM
Snilsson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx fifer
dont think you will get many sellers wanting a full payment through paypal
Yea, you're probably right.
Originally Posted by Bean1984
Be honest with the seller mate and tell them your intentions etc. You will find a few sellers are a bit edgy with foreigners buying as we dont know if the money is real etc.

Tell the seller that if you both agree to a deal then you want to go to their named bank and complete the bank transfer that way. As long as the seller is in control, you should have an easy journey hpwever every car you want to look at, call them rather then text matey

Good luck with it!!!
I have every intention of being honest, of course. It's fully understandable that some will be a bit cautious, as I said. I would too!

You're right that calling is better but I hope my completely rubbish english won't scare them off.

Thanks for your answer!
Old 27 July 2012, 10:54 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Snilsson
Hi!

I live in Sweden and I am planning to do a little trip to the UK to buy an STI. Some of you may wonder why, and the answer is simple: money.

For the same money I get an Bugeye WRX with ~100k miles in Sweden I could get an -05 STI with ~50k miles in the UK. So I do think I can live with the steering wheel being on the "wrong" side.

Anyway, what is the general opinion of international buyers? I know it can sound a bit shady, I wouldn't even answer if a foreign buyer wanted to buy my car.

But my plan to be as trustworthy and smooth as possible is to go to UK and see some cars in person and if I find a car I want I'll just transfer money via Paypal or directly to the sellers bank account.
What do you think or what would you prefer?

Any tips or ideas is more than welcome!
Good communication, honesty and set up a good rappor with the sellers. Being on here is a start.

Remember as a buyer you'll disappear back to Sweden, so make sure you have a good one. Perhaps buying from a Subaru Dealer could be an option, more expensive but with plenty of recourse should it go belly up.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 27 July 2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 27 July 2012, 10:56 AM
Pong
Scooby Regular

I sold my last scooby to a sweedish dude. He had loads of papers printed on how everything works. Didn't pay much attention to it, but he knew what he needed and was really pleased with how easy it was.
Old 27 July 2012, 11:42 AM
chrishigham
Scooby Regular

i had a guy from luxemberg come and view my gtir, he was asking for my passport as he needed acopy for deportation, he came was nice enough but didnt buy the car, i refused to let him have a copy btw
Old 27 July 2012, 12:30 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was you I'd pay cash.
Old 27 July 2012, 05:24 PM
Snilsson
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your answers!

I'll figure out insurance and I have an english friend that can drive the car to the harbour so right now I'm just going to sell my S13 and book a flight!
Old 06 August 2012, 07:08 PM
Snilsson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L3YMS
luxemburg are quite strict about their cars from what I have heard, I bought one from a student and it was registered in LUX and he had to physically return the metal number plates to the town hall or they wouldn't list it as exported! Well thats what he said anyway.
It's not that hard in Sweden, sure.. the car needs to be stock at registration but otherwise it's a piece of cake!
Old 06 August 2012, 09:01 PM
panta_rei
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snilsson
It's not that hard in Sweden, sure.. the car needs to be stock at registration but otherwise it's a piece of cake!
I envy you. I wanted to buy a classic in the UK, but met so many problems and idiotic bureaucracy where I live (it's like they're intent on making people unable to do anything or buy anything from out of country) that I gave up in the end. That is, until I'll have saved the cash for a Blob-eye WRX (newer car, so less probable problems).

Good luck to you!

PS: if I were you, I'd pay with cash. Through my communication with a few sellers they all seemed hesitant about either bank transfers, much less Paypal (because Paypal takes percentage from such transactions).
Old 06 August 2012, 11:16 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Snilsson, you need to speak to airwalkSTI over at 22b.com (not sure if he's got an account here on scoobynet). He's done it four times by now I think, and it's a piece of cake if you know what you're doing and have a standard car.

Every time I've gone with him, he's paid cash. It's easier for all parties IMO. If the seller is worried, go with him/her to the bank and pay it straight into their account. Once the seller has paid the money into the bank, it's theirs, even if it turns out to be fake etc as the bank has accepted it.

Re insurance, e.g. Lansforsakringar will insure you on a car that hasn't been registered in Sweden yet, so give them a ring to ask how it works from their point of view. I think one of your problems may be, however, that you're not coming over to buy a set car, i.e. you cannot get the papers issued with the correct VIN number etc for the insurance, and you definitely need insurance to drive here (or your friend does) - I don't think you can get insurance on a car you're exporting from someone in the UK.

One option may be to trailer the car if you can't get the insurance stuff sorted.

Btw, before you think of driving it to the ferry without insurance - there's a real risk the police will crush your car if caught, and all the insurance databases are online and linked to the police computers, and they do regular checks when following cars etc. You have been warned I.e. it's not slap on wrist like in Sweden.

Other than that, be sure to get the standard parts with the car if modified. Also check things like engine numbers so that they match what it says on the V5, because if they don't match and bilprovningen check, you're in for a world of trouble (essentially you'll be screwed as far as registering it is concerned).
Old 07 August 2012, 09:17 AM
Snilsson
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your reply Henrik!

I'll try to find him , it's always good to talk with someone that have some experience.

I have considered cash but walking around with ~8000£ feels a bit risky, and where can I withdraw that amount of cash?

I have talked with Länsförsäkringar and according to the lady I talked to there shouldn't be a problem at all to get a 30-day full insurance on the VIN number.

Another question then, what kind of papers except the V5C is necessary and do you send the UK license plate back after the car is registrered in Sweden or do you just throw them away?

Cheers!
Old 07 August 2012, 09:18 AM
Pong
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
Btw, before you think of driving it to the ferry without insurance - there's a real risk the police will crush your car if caught, and all the insurance databases are online and linked to the police computers, and they do regular checks when following cars etc. You have been warned I.e. it's not slap on wrist like in Sweden.
When sold my, the guy asked if i could keep it insured for 2 more days as that's when he had the fairy, so that it would show as insured if checked via police camera. He was pretty cool guy, so i had no problems with it.