ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

What to do what to do

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2015, 10:12 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do what to do

I have been offered a Seven month job in South Africa starting in Mid November which will end in May next year. Now when I return I plan to buy a hardcore car of some sort (this is another whole thread but something of the TVR caliber, maybe even a C63 AMG, or a 911). I mention this because I maybe can just buy one car which ticks every box eg work and fun at the weekends. My question is regarding the scoob. Do I

A) sell her before I go
B) send her to Scoobyclinic and tell them to pay attention to the questions marks - I reckon the rear suspension and wheel bearings need some attention now - and then when I return I have a perfect car (which I know the history of) and I have covered 10,000 miles in comfortably

Or
C) leave it with Scoobyclinic and tell him to go to town on it and make it 500 BHP with all supporting mods?

Naturally the latter seems like the most exciting but if I have to give Scoobyclinic ten grand when I get back then that's a huge chunk of what I wanted to spend on a different car!!!!!
Old 14 September 2015, 12:32 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts
Default What to do what to do

What spec you got? Rent your impreza out to me until you get back 😉
Old 14 September 2015, 07:43 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would help if we knew what car you already have, nothing in your profile, so none of us are any wiser.

I don't think £10k is going to get you to 500bhp and ALL supporting mods unless you already have a 500bhp capable engine.

You can make it to ish 450bhp if you already have a healthy STI engine but a reliable 500+ is a whole different ball game.

At the end of the day everything hangs on the base car, and it's current spec and milage.
Old 14 September 2015, 10:08 AM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your replies - sorry not up for loaning her out but thanks for the offer.

And the spec is a 51- plate JDM bugeye Sti (high spoiler etc) in blue/gold. bought from Max at Hurst cars and straight to Neil at Slowboy for a two grand service / stage 1 remap and hoses replaced. The car had covered 59K when I bought her from max end of last year, I started propels driving her in February and she is now on 70K, actually been very reliable although I feel the suspension is creaky when warm, and when I stop there is a sudden jolt from the back, not sure what this is - it's not that severe and doesn't always happen but I notice he creaking a lot more from the rear and especially when reversing. See I don't want to take her in and get the main bits done and then send her back a second time and potentially have bits replaced / upgraded that have just been done as part of the service getting her 100% again if that makes sense
Old 14 September 2015, 10:11 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Sell it
Old 14 September 2015, 10:49 AM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Sell it
Hmmm are you interested?
Old 14 September 2015, 11:03 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Nope, I'm selling my 500 plus bhp type r lol
Old 14 September 2015, 01:50 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sell it.

dont waste money on making 500bhp, there are a few that come up for sale already been built for half the price of building it. evo 8 running 500bhp and can be had for 13k these days...
Old 14 September 2015, 05:05 PM
gregwill
Scooby Regular

Orite mate, Knowing that if I was to stay in the subaru brand and wanting to be at the 500bhp area I would probably sell the car and buy one that's had a lot of the work done to it. That way you can save a good chunk of cash and have say a 500bhp car.

Just a few questions as stated 500bhp could be a push with supporting mods do you need to reach that figure and would you be happy to have something more along the 430-450bhp mark that will still be pretty mental.

If you don't mind me asking if you was to sell the car what would your total budget be on purchasing a new car??

Greg
Old 14 September 2015, 05:34 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My opinion is, you could sell it for around £7k no fuss, no hassle.

OR

Seeing as it has one of the better STI engines you could easily aim for 450bhp and your spend would be in the region of £4k including new suspension.

Personally I'd go with Banny's suggestion, reason being, your going to end up with a car that's worth maybe £8/8.5k stands you at £11/12k and nobody wants to give you more than £8k for, if your lucky.

Even though I'm not a fan, I'd sooner have one of the current crop of S202's that are on offer at ish £12k. Reason being, your car is only going down in value, the S202 is only going to hold it's money or go up.

P.S; That's only IF I ever dared to own a bug.