Old 17 January 2012, 05:34 PM
BLACK TURBO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just read this on BBS

Thought I would share with everyone on here

Word of warning!!!
by MARK IBIZA FR » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:02 pm

I was on the M4 Westbound on the way home from SCC Performance in St Albans on Wednesday (30th Nov, Revo Stage 1! ), I was aware of a silver Volvo S40 on a 58 plate that appeared to be following me for sometime. It matched my lane changes and overtakes and sat behind at the same distance the whole time. Naturally I thought it might be the rozzers, so took it carefully. After nearly half an hour I got suspicious so overtook a few cars then dropped to lane 1, slowing right down to force him to pass. He had a real good long look at me, as did I at him. It didn't look like a copper, no uniform, dodgy looking geezer etc. So I overtook again and hoped to carry on my way having made it clear I had clocked him.

Again he stuck with me, matching my every move. This continued for a few more minutes before approaching an exit, he started flashing his headlights and indicating me to pull off the motorway. I carried on, he flashed again and then turned on some blue and red "wig-wag style" strobes which were mounted on his dashboard. I shat myself for a moment, but it just didn't look right. Also there was no siren, no blues mounted behind grille, no "wig-wag" flashing headlights etc, so I didn't stop and passed the exit.
The flashing and blues stopped and he sat behind me again matching my movements like before. I was already pretty sure it wasn't a copper, so I managed to drop behind him again, even though I had to slow to 30 mph until he eventually passed, and I dialled 999 and spoke to the police giving them the car reg. After all, if it was a copper, I didn't wanna get done for failing to stop. They confirmed that the car was NOT a police car and not to stop, so I carried on as they spoke to officers to inform them of the situation.
My turn off came and sure enough he followed even though I didn't signal and exited at last minute. Approaching Bristol I came to traffic lights and he pulled alongside close to my car with his window down and gestured me to pull over, flashing a warrant badge at me. In no uncertain terms I informed said dodgy geezer that he could jog on if he thought I was going to stop as I was on the phone to the police control centre who informed me the car was not a police vehicle. Needless to say he didn't hang around long, nor the other car which I hadn't noticed before who seemed to be tagging along behind him, never saw him again after that.
For me it was not that big a deal, I clocked him early on. If this was someone more vulnerable and trusting, it could have got nasty. It was pretty obvious they were more interested in the car than anything else, but still.
So beware people and if ever in doubt, don't stop, simply dial 999 and inform them you have been indicated to stop but you believe it may not be a real police vehicle. They will check on the spot if you provide them a reg. If it is a copper, you won't get in trouble as long as you drive appropriately, as your call will be logged showing you were unsure if it was really police or not.
Old 17 January 2012, 05:41 PM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

BS.

I've seen this story (with a few amended details) several times over the years. Scaremongering at its finest. Following from St Albans to Bristol eh... that's some dedication...

How long til the perfume rapist or dude clinging to the underside of a car in the petrol station one rears its head again? Or there's the old baby seat at the side of the road classic....
Old 17 January 2012, 05:42 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read about this over on the P1WOC a week or two ago, shocking stuff tbh and just goes to show that you need to keep your wits about you at all times these days
Old 17 January 2012, 05:44 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh right so it was a bull5hit story then???
Old 17 January 2012, 05:48 PM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

Well, I read a VERY similar story years back, thats all im saying.

Seems a long way to drive for what, a reeeeeevo stage 1 Ibiza though doesnt it?
Old 17 January 2012, 05:48 PM
BLACK TURBO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TinyTim
BS.

I've seen this story (with a few amended details) several times over the years. Scaremongering at its finest. Following from St Albans to Bristol eh... that's some dedication...

How long til the perfume rapist or dude clinging to the underside of a car in the petrol station one rears its head again? Or there's the old baby seat at the side of the road classic....
Doesn't actually say it followed him all the way from st Albans, could be bs but you just never know
Old 17 January 2012, 05:50 PM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BLACK TURBO
Doesn't actually say it followed him all the way from st Albans, could be bs but you just never know
No, fair point.

You don't have to pull over for unmarked cars anyway do you? Think you're supposed to drive to the local plod station iirc.
Old 17 January 2012, 06:06 PM
Ryan@Indigo-GT
Former Sponsor

According to the highway code;

"If the police want to stop your vehicle they will, where possible, attract your attention by flashing blue lights, headlights or sounding their siren or horn, usually from behind directing you to pull over to the side by pointing and/or using the left indicator.
You MUST then pull over and stop as soon as it is safe to do so. Then switch off your engine. - Law RTA 1988 sect 163"

The difficulty there with unmarked cars is that you can't always be 100% certain that it is a Police officer, anyone can hash up a warrant card with Photoshop and a laminator I think that's why the law is a big vague there to give people breathing room.
Old 17 January 2012, 06:28 PM
Kirstiestar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TinyTim
BS.

OMG ive heard of all of these!! Lol