Sponsored by:

power pill in uk 2000 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2010, 12:51 PM
stuartaw11
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power pill in uk 2000 turbo

Whats the score with these power pill things, ive read that you can get more power by changing them, what size should i change it to in my uk2000 turbo to increase boost?
Old 18 September 2010, 02:07 PM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

If your on about a ristrictor pill, on your age of car the standard size is 1.2mm if you try and reduce this to increase the boost. What happens is you then get boost spikes which in turn then makes your ecu try and correct it and when accelerating and this happens its like hitting a wall. If i was you i would keep the standard size pill and buy a boost controller, at least this way you can maintain and also control a safe level of boost. Or a remap if you have the money

Last edited by hpoolsteve; 18 September 2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention remap
Old 18 September 2010, 02:30 PM
turboaddict
Scooby Regular

[quote=stuartaw11;9606595]Whats the score with these power pill things, ive read that you can get more power by changing them, what size should i change it to in my uk2000 turbo to increase boost?[YEAH as above i would leave as is mate! if you want more boost and more bhp go for a remap its the safest bet!
Old 18 September 2010, 02:49 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year car do you have?

Tony
Old 18 September 2010, 05:36 PM
stuartaw11
Scooby Regular

my car is v reg, uk car, i dont really understand what these do, is the pill designed to reduce flow, so a smaller hole would be more restrictive than one with a bigger hole? the bigger hole allowing more air through? im sorry for silly questions, i just like to know how things work! lol
Old 18 September 2010, 06:54 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Basically, the pill controls the bleed to the BCS which in turn controls the wastegate. It is not a way to control boost per se, but a way to prevent over or under boost dependent on whether you run a 2 or 3 port BCS.

Last edited by Glowplug; 18 September 2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 18 September 2010, 08:07 PM
bigfarlz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stuartaw11
Whats the score with these power pill things, ive read that you can get more power by changing them, what size should i change it to in my uk2000 turbo to increase boost?
Hi, when I bought my00 Uk turbo it had a 0.8mm instead of the 1.2mm. Yeah it was quicker but the boost would drop on and off on full throttle and it drove me crazy, and as for changing gear it does feel like ur hitting a brick wall. I've been to be careful with boost controllers as increasing too much can cause big trouble so I've removed mine. If you do use one though I've been told to remove the restrictor pill, don't know how true this is. Also this model car gets more boost with a smaller diameter but other models can be larger diameter is more. There is a really good thread in the technical thread that helped me out.
Old 18 September 2010, 10:21 PM
stuartaw11
Scooby Regular

Oh ok, so are we saying the smaller the hole, the power delivery is more agressive? This makes sence, I wrongly believed bigger hole means more power, so whilst not busy this aft I drilled out my standard pill slightly, driving home tonight the car didn't feel so peaky, but was still carrying as much speed, trip to the dealer Monday me thinks to buy a new 1.2mm pill! Well you live and learn eh
Old 18 September 2010, 10:39 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Oh ok, so are we saying the smaller the hole, the power delivery is more agressive? This makes sence, I wrongly believed bigger hole means more power, so whilst not busy this aft I drilled out my standard pill slightly, driving home tonight the car didn't feel so peaky, but was still carrying as much speed, trip to the dealer Monday me thinks to buy a new 1.2mm pill! Well you live and learn eh
That is true when using the 2 port, but works the opposite way on a 3 port, iirc
Old 18 September 2010, 11:21 PM
bigfarlz
Scooby Regular

Yeah I got mine from dealer last week cost me £3.68!
Sorry to hijack the thread but I would like to know about these 3 port boost solenoids, what do they do? Is it worth getting on my00 Uk turbo x plate? If so what gains would I earn and how is it plumbed?

Oh yeah, is it true u should remove restrictor pill when using bleed valve/boost controller?

Thanks

Last edited by bigfarlz; 18 September 2010 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 19 September 2010, 07:10 AM
stuartaw11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigfarlz
Yeah I got mine from dealer last week cost me £3.68!
Sorry to hijack the thread but I would like to know about these 3 port boost solenoids, what do they do? Is it worth getting on my00 Uk turbo x plate? If so what gains would I earn and how is it plumbed?

Oh yeah, is it true u should remove restrictor pill when using bleed valve/boost controller?

Thanks
Do you have a part number for the one u bought?
Old 19 September 2010, 08:18 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 3 port boost solenoid will give better control of the boost compared to a 2 port,but you cant just bolt them on ,they need to be mapped to the car to make sure everything is running right.Wiring them up is easy ,where you have the T piece on your turbo going from the wastegate to the turbo compressor you remove this and your 3 port is rigged up as below.

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/y...st_Control.jpg

If you have someone map it to your car ,then you do not need the restrictor in the bottom hose.Not worth having one fitted unless your having your car remapped at the same time imho.
Old 20 September 2010, 08:43 PM
stuartaw11
Scooby Regular

I can now confirm that drilling the restricter pill on a standard uk 2000 turbo is indeed not big or clever! The car drives like it doesn't have a turbo and is a complete waste of time, unless of course you like driving slowly! I now look forward to paying mr Subaru some pennies tomorrow to make my impreza better! Lesson learned, don't mess with something that Subaru spent years perfecting! Lol
Old 20 September 2010, 08:59 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

I can now confirm that drilling the restricter pill on a standard uk 2000 turbo is indeed not big or clever! The car drives like it doesn't have a turbo and is a complete waste of time, unless of course you like driving slowly! I now look forward to paying mr Subaru some pennies tomorrow to make my impreza better! Lesson learned, don't mess with something that Subaru spent years perfecting! Lol