Notices

A few impreza electrical issues.

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2015, 08:19 PM
Phil3822
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few impreza electrical issues.

Hi all, recently purchased a 2000 reg Subaru Impreza 2000 turbo and it has a few electrical faults I would like to sort. I am not very mechanical so need plenty of help.

1. Electric mirrors only move up and down on both sides. No side to side. I assume the switch is wrong so have ordered another from ebay but have no idea how to fit it.

2. Rear window wiper does not work. I have replaced the fuse but still does not work. No idea what to do next.

3. Stereo is original however does not work on passenger side or passenger side rear. Only sound comes from drivers side speakers. Again, no idea what to check.

I would prefer to do what I can myself and would appreciate any help with any of these issues. Thanks.
Old 24 September 2015, 10:58 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

OK, Let's get you started, so we can get you some help...to quote Virgin Media....

1. The UK cars don't have electrically folding mirrors, if it's a UK car, the switch will have no facility for this. If it HAS, you'll need doorcards off to check the mirrors, and centre gearbox cover out to look at the wiring. I'll come back to that.

2. Rear wash-wipe? Is it a saloon or wagon?
Saloon: Agaian, UK cars didn't have this, so is it aftermarket? If not, look at wiring under rear panel to see if it's got dislodged, corroded, burnt out.
If it hasn't, then you are into removing the wiper to check it's working. A new motor will set you back about £15 off ebay.

Out of interest, does it wash (spray)? That's separate but fed from the same fuse so will give us an idea.

3. Speakers.
Could be speakers, wiring or headunit.

You could START by removing the passenger side doorcard, not difficult. This will give you access to the mirror wiring too if you need a look.

a) prize up the window switches from the rear, lift out and disconnect wiring.
b) pull the surround off the inner door lever.
c) There's a screw INSIDE the window switch hole. DO NOT remove the big one in the door lever.
d) there's at least one more under a cover on the doorcard, IIRC, there are two, prize up covers, remove screws
e) now, starting at the rear bottom corner, insert something and begin prizing the doorcard away. t should start unclipping. Continue right round, but NOT along the top.
f) once it's free, LIFT it off the top rail and put to one side.

The inner door is now revealed.

Mirror wiring: if they are folding, SIX wires to each mirror from the connector, and SIX feeding it.
If they are not, FOUR wires at each.

Speaker: pull back the plastic damp-proof sheating, be careful NOT to get the black stuff on decent clothes. How do I know that??? Check the wiring, mine fell off at one point. Also look for corrosion, broken wires inside the speaker near the cone etc.
If it's not that, then:

Good time to upgrade: the stock speakers are crap. You can go up to 165mm with spacers.

I'm assuming that you checked that at the headunit, no-one has turned FAD to front and BAL to the right????

BTW: when replacing doorcard, do it in reverse order, but don't forgewt to feed the window motor wiring through before clipping it down again. And DO ensure it's settled nicely on the rail at the top.

Any more help, post again.

if you need advice on new stereo, speakers etc, there's a dedicated ICE section.

HTH.
Old 24 September 2015, 06:59 PM
Phil3822
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for your response.

Well I replaced the mirror switch and they work fine now which is good.

I cannot seem to find the relay for rear wiper.

Below is a pic of my engine compartment relays. Not sure which one or where it is to check or change. Thanks.

Name:  IMG_20150924_182303_zps6yfng2ti.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  89.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20150924_182249_zpszqojbm3z.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  100.6 KB
Old 24 September 2015, 08:23 PM
Phil3822
Scooby Regular

I think I have figured out it does not have a relay for the rear window wiper. The washer part does not work either. The little plastic clips that hold the trim on in the boot area covering the wiper look like a pain to get back in. I have taken one out but get it back in.
Old 24 September 2015, 08:44 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rear wash/wipe is usually on same fuse as front - it's one of the fuses inside the car, not in the engine bay. Fuse 15 from the info I have.

There is a relay for it - I think there're a load buried behind the dash by your knees.
Old 24 September 2015, 08:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

The relay for mine is fastened to the wiper motor bracket.
Old 26 September 2015, 05:08 PM
Phil3822
Scooby Regular

Umm, have figured out reference the rear wiper the washer does work although just dribbles out a bit plus I can here a click sound when I turn the wiper on. It clicks when I turn it on just the once. Hope this makes some sense.
Old 26 September 2015, 05:48 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Dribbles out?

OK, clean out the jet, the pipework and the pump..which is down in the o/s under the rear lights. New pipework might be needed, depending on what's been used in the reservoir.

Your wiper motor may be suspect.
Have you checked the wiring for loose/corroded/broken connections yet?
Old 26 September 2015, 06:42 PM
Phil3822
Scooby Regular

Thanks alacazar.

I have cleaned things out and it is running through better. A bit of a squirt hit and miss. Better but not there yet. Not found or looked at the pump yet. I take it uses fluid from the reservoir under the bonnet. It is filthy in there, loads of muck.

I have checked all wiring and it seems in good order. I have also found the relay as that is what clicks when I turn the wiper on then off. If the relay is clicking does that mean its working ok or should I try and replace? My big hands struggle to get to it. In the n/s rear light compartment down low in the hole.
Old 26 September 2015, 07:08 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil3822
I take it uses fluid from the reservoir under the bonnet.
Have a look at the washer bottle, some have 2 pumps attached one for the windscreen, one for the rear screen. I've also seen one or two wagons with a single pump but 2 outlets.
Old 26 September 2015, 08:03 PM
Phil3822
Scooby Regular

Well figured out why the rear washer is not working well. Had a good look around and wondered why the boot was a bit wet. Looked at the tube from the body to tailgate and that was fine. Then removed the o/s light access door and it was soaked inside. Not good for lights!!! Anyway, was doing this in the dark so cant see where the leak is yet but it looks like somewhere along that tube. Not looked under the car yet as have a bad back.

At least I have an idea now. Still no clue on the rear wiper itself though. Not sure if to change the relay now I have found it. It clicks on and off so not sure if that means its working.

Appreciate all the help.
Old 26 September 2015, 09:11 PM
prodriveraberdeen
Scooby Newbie

i had a similar problem before, just took the pump out and gave it a good clean, worked it a bit and all was fine
Old 26 September 2015, 09:13 PM
Phil3822
Scooby Regular

Thanks Prodriveaberdeen, are you saying its more likely the pump and not the tube?
Old 27 September 2015, 10:56 AM
Phil3822
Scooby Regular

Well I found the reason why the rear washer was not working well. There is a split in the tube, it is where the tube goes into the tailgate. No idea how to change it though, does not look like it can be repaired as split all the way around and hanging on only just.

Not at home at the moment to check but would this tube be ok?

Reference the rear wiper not working I thought I would try replacing the relay located n/s rear near under light cluster. Problem is I cant get it out. Wife has tried with smaller hands and it will not budge. Is there some knack to it?

Slowly figuring things out.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4mm-BLACK-...item3cb52f357f
Old 27 September 2015, 11:10 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big pair of long nose pliers to shift relay mate.
Old 27 September 2015, 11:15 AM
Phil3822
Scooby Regular

And just pull it then? Was not sure if there was some retaining clip. Thanks.

Also, thinking about it I may well repair the tube. Any tips? Thanks all.
Old 27 September 2015, 12:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Cut it and insert an inline connector?

This must be a wagon, then? Mine has the rear wash wipe reservoir inside the trim, low down in the boot, behind the o/s rear light, the filler is in the boot lip.
Old 27 September 2015, 12:24 PM
Phil3822
Scooby Regular

Sorry alcazar, yes it is a wagon. I thought the car drew the water from the reservoir under the bonnet? I will have to research an inline connector.

Was going to use some pipe and hose repair tape but will look into the in line connector. Any idea what size I would need. Out at the moment and car is at home so could get one while out.
Old 27 September 2015, 12:35 PM
Phil3822
Scooby Regular

This
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4MM-WINDSC...item51b978ec2a

or this
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pai...r-tape-25mmx3m
Old 27 September 2015, 07:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

The first. Is 4mm big enough? Measure the o/d of the pipe and subtract 2mm, then buy one size larger, warm the pipe in boiling water or with a hairdryer before inserting, for a tight fit.
Old 27 September 2015, 07:39 PM
Phil3822
Scooby Regular

Many thanks alcazar, will take a look.