Sponsored by:

dont you just hate the postman

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2010, 03:08 PM
BLACK TURBO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dont you just hate the postman

woke up this morning to find letter saying I have run a red light in exeter couple of weeks ago in the works van...darn, blast and you know the rest.........
what am i looking at in the way of points/fine..is it just 3 points? or do i have to drive like a nun in future..cheers
Old 05 June 2010, 03:52 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

mate at work did the same 3 points 60quid but problem is cause the red light jump he sruggles to hire a van cause they see it as dangerous driving so there insurance company wont cover him
Old 05 June 2010, 10:44 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Do you remember doing it? I'd try & get off not paying it - have a look on Pepipoo site as they have ways & means

TX.
Old 06 June 2010, 02:37 PM
BLACK TURBO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Do you remember doing it? I'd try & get off not paying it - have a look on Pepipoo site as they have ways & means

TX.
no I dont remember doing it. looked at pepipoo, interesting site but cant find anything that really helps.............
Old 06 June 2010, 03:15 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

it's possible the light was still amber when you went through and changed to red at the last moment and you didn't see it.

I would ask for evidence - the photo may show that you were across the line when the light was red?
Old 06 June 2010, 07:43 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry traffic light camera's only flash when the lights are on red,and any detection of wheels crossing the line after 0.5 seconds will trigger the camera. They must have evidence or how would black turbo received the N.I.P if they did not have the photos of the contravention.
These are not like speed cameras,which can be prone to human error,they only flash when you jump a red light. I would appeal and if you dont hear anything within 28 days,you've got away with it .
But i would bet my life they will contact you and say see you in court,where they will have all the evidence needed.
Shame really as your far better off with a sp30 speeding ticket,as it wont effect your insurance,where as a ts10 might .
Old 06 June 2010, 08:05 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

I've never been caught by a light camera (I don't skip red lights ) but I would think it's possible that if the camera is triggered by a sensor on the line half a second after the light goes red, it's certainly possible (particularly if traffic was congested or moving slowly) that your front wheels were already over the line before it changed to red but the backs weren't. This ties in with the fact that you have no memory of skipping a red.

It's certainly possible for these things to happen in error like I said above, and it's likely that the NIP is totally automated and they only check the evidence if challenged.

If it were me, I would be asking for the evidence. Also as you have no recollection of the alleged incident, you will need the photo to check who was driving at the time (or do they get the back?).

Innocent until proven guilty isn't it? well it should be anyway but it seems the other way all too often these days. Also IMHO .5 seconds is not enough time to allow for genuine situations (slow traffic, emergency stops etc.)
Old 06 June 2010, 08:18 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

this post has some good (and some not so good) advice.

Remember they have to serve you the NIP within 14 days (+48 hrs for postage) any later than that and you can ignore it or write back telling them it was received after 14 days and therefore not valid.

If I had designed the system - I would put the sensor on the line and get the camera to take a photo each time the sensor is crossed. So if you cross the line fully on a red light it takes a photo as your front wheels cross and another as the rears cross. These two photos would show you clearly crossing the line.

In a situation where the light changed just after you had crossed the line with your front wheels, that would not trigger a photo but the rear wheels would. One photos showing your back wheels crossing the line, I would let that off.

But then, I didn't design the system, and some of them use radar instead of sensors in the road.

Good luck!
Old 06 June 2010, 09:38 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Remember they have to serve you the NIP within 14 days (+48 hrs for postage) any later than that and you can ignore it or write back telling them it was received after 14 days and therefore not valid.

Rubbish.
Has to be sent within 14 days, full stop. If its sent,its presumed to have been delivered.

Last edited by s70rjw; 06 June 2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06 June 2010, 09:45 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

what's rubbish? sent within 14 days/received within 14 days plus 48hrs allowance for postage. same thing.
Old 06 June 2010, 10:13 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

From looking at Pepipoo it seems you're pretty well screwed if a ticket arrives

TX.
Old 06 June 2010, 10:15 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

but when was the offence in relation to the ticket arriving?
Old 06 June 2010, 11:51 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by arumdevil
what's rubbish? sent within 14 days/received within 14 days plus 48hrs allowance for postage. same thing.
14 days is 14 days.
48 hrs allowance for postage is a further 2 days.
That, added to 14 days is 16 days.
The law states the NIP must be sent within 14 days.
When it arrives is immaterial.
That's not the same thing.
Old 06 June 2010, 11:59 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

yeah ok, but my point was you may receive it AFTER 14 days even though it was sent within the 14 day limit. I admit I didn't make that clear but I'm not going to argue it any more, I was just trying to be helpful.
Old 07 June 2010, 09:33 AM
chunkb
Scooby Regular

Don't hate the postman its not his fault you jumped the lights,just pay up and be careful.