re-map

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2009, 10:56 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re-map

Hi

Just bought my first scooby, its a 99 type R v-limited, having owned a evo1V previously the impreza feels a much better car, very pleased with it.

I have one question, is it nesessary to have it remaped for uk fuel, im running it on v-power only, some people are telling me it will be fine without a remap, obviously i dont want to do any damage to the engine, just want a definate answer really.

Cheers Tristan
Old 09 July 2009, 11:24 PM
Ami
Scooby Regular

I think it should be rather fine - to be more on the safe side you can also pour few drops of good octane booster when refuelling.
Another option is to add 2-5l e85 to each tank if available in your area.

But anyway worth to remember that remap will give you not only safety, but will also help to get from your particular car as much as possible with the fuel you use and your internals.
of course standard car is mapped with rather safe maps, good for all cars - and when you do remap you get map for your specific car - some are getting more from it, some less...

But anyway the best idea might be to talk to some Subaru tuners - they know as much of these cars as possible I believe

But of course remap is also some money...
Old 09 July 2009, 11:42 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by trio
Hi

Just bought my first scooby, its a 99 type R v-limited, having owned a evo1V previously the impreza feels a much better car, very pleased with it.

I have one question, is it nesessary to have it remaped for uk fuel, im running it on v-power only, some people are telling me it will be fine without a remap, obviously i dont want to do any damage to the engine, just want a definate answer really.

Cheers Tristan
Only way to be sure is to have it checked out! As long as the figures are good, it should be fine. A remap isn't always about making power, but it's often a side benefit even if you don't actually run any more boost.
Old 10 July 2009, 10:51 AM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

get a decent boost gauge to monitor your boost & get a knock sensor to detect any knock. as mentioned above you could also add some NF, which would be a safety feature.

Old 10 July 2009, 04:58 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replys.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is e85?, regarding a boost guage it has a Greddy one fitted, wich has a memory function, peak boost was around 1.15 bar, is this standard? the car has no engine mods since i bought it.

A remap will be something i will look into in the future, i would like to do a few mods 1st, having just bought the car there are a few other thing that need sorting such as servicing and alarm ect.

Thanks Tristan
Old 10 July 2009, 06:18 PM
Ami
Scooby Regular

E85 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ethanol (also methanol) in small ratios added to petrol is a pretty good octane booster - there was once a thread about bioethanol somewhere on scoobynet as well... anyway there's lots of information on this subject in the Internet.

cheers