Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm back in a Scooby!! Evo's a goner!!

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2008, 09:16 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm back in a Scooby!! Evo's a goner!!

I've finally managed to get rid of my Evo6!!!!

And get back into a Subaru Its a 51plate WRX UK300-alike

I think the guy was trying to pass it off as a UK300 but it hasnt got the blue alcantara interior and I checked with Subaru today and it is a WRX. I dont care. I'm happy. Great swap!!
My insurance has more than halved, fuel gauge hardly moves compared to me constantly looking for leaks in the Evo as the petrol seemed to run out it, its better to drive, the list is endless. But the main thing is, I have a burble again
Now I have to re-write my crimbo list all over again.
Old 10 November 2008, 09:24 PM
Tom87
Scooby Regular

Welcome back dude

Sounds well nice, but hope you didn't get "ripped off" if the guy was selling it to you as a UK300.

Got any plans for it?

Pics pics pics!
Old 10 November 2008, 09:33 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

Trust me mate, I didnt get ripped off. I'm well rid. I hated that car with a passion. Plus it had 30 days mot left among other things............

It looks exactly like a UK300 outside, 18" prodrive alloys, prodrive spoiler, lights.

I'll get pics up as soon as I can

As for my plans, pretty much the same as what I did to my last Impreza

Vf28, Sti intercooler, uprated FPR, Walbro, remap.

Looking for 320-350bhp this time

P.S If I hear of anyone on here even THINKING of getting an Evo, I'll be happy to come to your house/place of work and bitch-slapping the idea out of you. I've had both and I'd rather eat my own children than have another.

Last edited by weeebell; 10 November 2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10 November 2008, 09:44 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome back
Old 10 November 2008, 09:45 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by weeebell
Trust me mate, I didnt get ripped off. I'm well rid. I hated that car with a passion. Plus it had 30 days mot left among other things............

It looks exactly like a UK300 outside, 18" prodrive alloys, prodrive spoiler, lights.

I'll get pics up as soon as I can

As for my plans, pretty much the same as what I did to my last Impreza

Vf28, Sti intercooler, uprated FPR, Walbro, remap.

Looking for 320-350bhp this time

P.S If I hear of anyone on here even THINKING of getting an Evo, I'll be happy to come to your house/place of work and bitch-slapping the idea out of you. I've had both and I'd rather eat my own children than have another.
are they that bad???????
ive been toying with the idea of a 7 or 8
Old 10 November 2008, 10:04 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

The gearing is awful, very high revving. Front suspension is prone to exessive wear.
MPG is horrendous compared to an Impreza. I could destroy a tenner in 10 miles and given the fact its only a little 40ltr tank, you can watch the needle go down. I used 3/4 of a tank at 50mph yesterday in the Evo (30 quid) and on the way home in the Subaru I used 1/4 of a tank an 90mph.

Suspension is harsh too. Very expensive to fix. AYC f@cks up on nearly all Evo's at some point and especially in the hotter weather and its the guts of a grand to fix it yourself with 2nd hand parts.
I had a 320bhp classic before the Evo and it would have sh@t all over it apart from the brakes.
Get an STi mate.
Old 10 November 2008, 10:09 PM
290 AND READY
Scooby Regular

I had an evo v and loved it, great car in my opinion
Although the AYC did go!!
Old 10 November 2008, 10:17 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

Fair play if you liked it mate, but have I lied about any of the above points I made? Just seems to break more, cost more etc and for what??
Old 10 November 2008, 10:20 PM
290 AND READY
Scooby Regular

No you have not lied.....thats your opinion mate and fair play to that.
Your right about the fuel as well being a nightmare.
I just liked the fact that the evo was a lot more raw feeling.
Although they were more common to problems.
View my scooby to see the evo I had
Old 10 November 2008, 10:25 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

Dont get me wrong, it was a stunning car to look at. Maybe I didnt like it because it was my everyday car. Too harsh to live with all the time.
Old 10 November 2008, 10:28 PM
290 AND READY
Scooby Regular

Welcome back anyways mate!
Old 10 November 2008, 10:29 PM
sti69
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The gearing is awful, very high revving. Front suspension is prone to exessive wear.
MPG is horrendous compared to an Impreza. I could destroy a tenner in 10 miles and given the fact its only a little 40ltr tank, you can watch the needle go down. I used 3/4 of a tank at 50mph yesterday in the Evo (30 quid) and on the way home in the Subaru I used 1/4 of a tank an 90mph.

Suspension is harsh too. Very expensive to fix. AYC f@cks up on nearly all Evo's at some point and especially in the hotter weather and its the guts of a grand to fix it yourself with 2nd hand parts.
I had a 320bhp classic before the Evo and it would have sh@t all over it apart from the brakes.
Get an STi mate.
Some good and some bad evo's out there, just as with scoobies - i think you owned a buggered one
Old 10 November 2008, 10:35 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

I must just be a Subaru guy. I hated the Evo from day 1. Just one of those cars you have to own.

As soon as I drove the Impreza again yesterday, a smile came across my face. It was a great run home.
Old 11 November 2008, 12:01 AM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Wink

I must just be a Subaru guy. I hated the Evo from day 1. Just one of those cars you have to own.

As soon as I drove the Impreza again yesterday, a smile came across my face. It was a great run home.
the subaru boxer engine has bags of character, wheres the evo is just another straight four
i was after an Evo6 before my P1 .............. until i saw the light
Old 11 November 2008, 09:55 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Finally got shot of the EVO then.

Having never driven one I can't pass a comment but even so I would like the chance to spend some time with a 5 before making the decision to go back to another classic.
Old 11 November 2008, 04:44 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Get an STi mate.
Toatally agree with everything you say there, but you forgot that there a nightmare to launch as they seem to bog down, could never get a perfect launch in the Evo, and I really hated my 6 GSR with a passion. I now have a Version 6 STi, which I should have bought in the first place.

Sold my Evo 6 GSR 2 months ago which was rolling roaded at 322bhp, and to be honest it felt pretty slow to some of the cars I have owned with less-er power, One of the reasons I did sell it, was my brothers standard V4 STi wagon would pull 2 car lengths ahead from a 30mph rolling start .

I only used it as a 2nd car as the mpg was horrendous, took it to work for 1 week as my second car was off the road and ended up puttin nearly 80 quid where as the Scooby has about 35 quid for the week.

This was my 3rd Evo I had owned(Evo 7 GSR, Evo 6 GSR, and Evo 6 RSX) and to be honest I should have learned my lesson the first time, But the only Evo I did really enjoy was my old Evo 6 RSX, but that was more of a track weapon and a bit to extreme for everyday use.

Lesson learned, Never buy a Evo GSR!!!!!!
Old 11 November 2008, 05:24 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

I used to own a 51 plate blue scoob that i put the UK300 lights and spoiler on, never had 18" though and never tried to pass it off as one, was the Reg near NV51 X**

Was my first car that i got from new and my first Subaru, loved that car, although i now have spent a fortune on subaru's since,lol

Welcome back bud

Mac

Last edited by bluenosewrx; 11 November 2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11 November 2008, 08:20 PM
pitcha44
Scooby Regular

you either love the evo or you dont. for me i loved my evo 6 i would have 1 again in a shot. dont get me wrong i love my scoob its cheaper to run and insure and they sound good. but when funds allow again im jumping ship and going back to the dark side in a nice white 7 rs oh yeah roll on
Old 11 November 2008, 10:37 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Toatally agree with everything you say there, but you forgot that there a nightmare to launch as they seem to bog down, could never get a perfect launch in the Evo, and I really hated my 6 GSR with a passion. I now have a Version 6 STi, which I should have bought in the first place.

Sold my Evo 6 GSR 2 months ago which was rolling roaded at 322bhp, and to be honest it felt pretty slow to some of the cars I have owned with less-er power, One of the reasons I did sell it, was my brothers standard V4 STi wagon would pull 2 car lengths ahead from a 30mph rolling start .

I only used it as a 2nd car as the mpg was horrendous, took it to work for 1 week as my second car was off the road and ended up puttin nearly 80 quid where as the Scooby has about 35 quid for the week.

This was my 3rd Evo I had owned(Evo 7 GSR, Evo 6 GSR, and Evo 6 RSX) and to be honest I should have learned my lesson the first time, But the only Evo I did really enjoy was my old Evo 6 RSX, but that was more of a track weapon and a bit to extreme for everyday use.

EXACTLY how I feel/felt.

I could never get the rear out in the Evo. Even with 350bhp and the AYC turned off, it would just bog down and grip.

With the standard Subaru, turn in, dip the clutch, give it a rev and flick...... Everyone should have one!!!
Old 11 November 2008, 10:38 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx
I used to own a 51 plate blue scoob that i put the UK300 lights and spoiler on, never had 18" though and never tried to pass it off as one, was the Reg near NV51 X**

Was my first car that i got from new and my first Subaru, loved that car, although i now have spent a fortune on subaru's since,lol

Welcome back bud

Mac
My reg is FA51 @@@ mate
Old 11 November 2008, 10:49 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1

you missed a bit

'the sti 6 would waste the evo 6'

Old 11 November 2008, 10:53 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

I love EVO 6's i would of swapped ya!

Best Evo IMHO!

Anyways welcome back buddy!
Old 12 November 2008, 02:29 AM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome back to scoobynet!!! tough choice between and evo and scooby, but i'll always stick with the scoobys

wiley
Old 12 November 2008, 12:59 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Get an STi mate.
Strange, My EVO V used less fuel than my 53 plate STi that I had from new, was much faster and capable and the ride was much better (no bouncing). My STi went through 6 struts in 20k miles, the EVO had no wear after 40K.

But, agree with the AYC, mine cost 1K to fix, servicing was expensive and parts were occasionally insane, £300 for a new starter motor!.

Oh and no burble, got to love a flat 4 boxer (or even better, a flat 6 air cooled boxer )

Last edited by Gary C; 12 November 2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12 November 2008, 08:55 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

I'm comparing my Evo to the classic Impreza I had. I think the STi has 550cc injectors compared to the 99 classics 440's?

Well, I've had it a couple of days now and still love it. I cant believe its still got the standard downpipe and heat sheilds on it!!

Its done 98k tho so I'm a bit wary of turning the boost up.

My plans are, get the timing belt done and give it a full service
including NGK 7's and a green panel filter.
A full stainless 3" system from turbo back (snakehead downpipe)
Stainless up pipe
Walbro
Injectors (440's or 550's)
Fuel lab FPR
And a turbo. But not sure which one yet.

Not sure whether to go for the cheaper VF28 option or the AndyF 18g?

Are there any stock Subaru turbo's that can give 350bhp with a remap?
Old 12 November 2008, 09:15 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

welcome bk mate. i was thinking of getting en evo (5 or6) a few month bk, my mate had evo 8 fq320, with remap an stainless exhaust, he reckoned my scooby was alot quicker? he bitch slapped me and i am more than happy with the scoob.

next car....... newage me thinks