Thumbs up

Airmiles
I'm there on 18 too. What you driving?

Alec
Old 09 November 2000, 05:53 PM
davespencer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could any body send me details of the mira event. time dates cost etc Many thanks Spence.
Old 09 November 2000, 06:31 PM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

Spence - details on the way

Alec - MY00 DBM 5-door - What's yours?

See you there!

Cheers

Miles
Old 09 November 2000, 07:33 PM
philgr
Scooby Regular

Cool

Going to wetter the better on the 11th. i am going with 2 mates and their cars a 250bhp Westfield and a golf gti and my MY00 4 door scooby so any advice, stories, information on what to expect etc will be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Phil
Old 09 November 2000, 08:48 PM
DIGGY
Scooby Regular

Talking

Bl**dy amazing, Best "performance" upgrade i have spent so far, you'll get a fright on the demo laps but by the end of the day you'll be doing almostish the same, The performance of our cars is amazing (well I thought so) when driven in the correct manner, nearly had to change my underware following the recovery of my car from more than 90 degrees to the direction of travel, the cheer on my return from the track was most apreciated........also you don't know who may drop in thanks again simon............
Old 10 November 2000, 04:41 AM
dholmes
Scooby Regular

Hi,

It was me who booked the 18th with Don. I was taking a load of work colleagues, but when push comes to shove, most backed out, so only 2 of us are coming. Never going to try that again!

Look forward to seeing you both ( Alec and Airmiles ), i'm in a silver MY97. Is it the first time for u both?

Darren
Old 10 November 2000, 08:05 AM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

Could someone send me details of this - I can't go to the Nov 18th do but would like to go at some point.

ChrisW.
Old 10 November 2000, 08:32 AM
TonyC-Evo Lurker
Scooby Regular

I hope the fella in the westie is taking a wetsuit. Otherwise he'll have to rename his car a wetfield

The sprinklers are on 100% of the time.

TonyC
Old 10 November 2000, 08:40 AM
Alec
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

dholmes
I'm a wetter the better virgin (oh err)!

Airmiles
I'm going in my tiny little Diahatsu and my mates taking a company Mondeo, Tee Hee!

Alec
Old 10 November 2000, 09:51 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Just do a search in the general forum for "wetter", "don palmer" or "mira". There are loads of tributes already written.
Old 10 November 2000, 11:18 AM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yep, it's going to be fun. Having done a few sessions of advanced 2-wheel stuff before I can vouch for (good)training being worth any number of pink STi springs (or whatever). This'll be my first time on 4 wheels, though

Although in my case it'll be a result if it just gets my confidence back to where it was before the shunt....only preferably with skills to match, this time!!

Darren, Alec, looking forward to meeting up :-)

[This message has been edited by Airmiles (edited 10 November 2000).]
Old 17 November 2000, 11:44 AM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

Any truth in the rumour about helmets being required at MIRA?
Old 17 November 2000, 01:56 PM
howardb
Scooby Regular

Don provides a helmet for the track driving - its one of those with an 2-way intercom. That was the only session we needed the helmet for.
Old 17 November 2000, 02:00 PM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

Thanks!
Old 17 November 2000, 02:54 PM
Alec
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Smile

See you all tommorow!!
Old 17 November 2000, 04:26 PM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

Wink

Should be good - & a Little Thief breakfast to look forward too, as well
Old 20 November 2000, 07:37 PM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well, what a day that was!

2 scoobys, 2 Elises, 1 Porker 968, a Barchetta, Alec's wierd 4WD Daihatsu Noddy car (sorry Alec)....and a Mondeo.

There had been a few prangs among the group - one guy said he felt left out for not having any photos of write-offs to show!

MIRA is amazing - the gradient of the banking on the speed oval is unbelievable. We "didn't see" several cars that "weren't X-types" - quite good looking, actually.

We started with a demo lap of the circles and wet handling track with Don - in my scoob (eek!) - 20 seconds in and he's recovering it from 100 degrees sideways (!) followed by a pant-filling (but oh-so-smooth) hare around the circuit - 60 plus round the 200 degree curve.

And then.. and then there was Sideways. Or Mr de Banke, to you and I. And sideways he was - everywhere, for 5 laps. It's very strange feeling a car let go deliberately - e.g. dabbing the brakes at the exit to the 20 curve to get the tail out & start the straight sooner..impressive doesn't do him justice. Cheers Simon!

Most of the day was spent on the circles and arcs, experimenting wiht feeling understeer and oversteer. I soon got the hang of a gentle powerslide on the arcs (not as soon as I got blase about spinning, though), and it's all much less threatening once you realise it WILL all come back in line. Top tip, mind, is to have it straight BEFORE you hit the ordinary tarmac again....

I got to the point where I could powerslide about 1/4 of the circle, but invariably spun whenever I went above 45 degrees. Probably overcooking the speed - Don & Colin could get it sideways at 15mph, I couldn't.

The circuit was also informative - mostly at just how smooth I wasn't being with the steering , how different car and bike lines are, and just what a scoob will do, if you don't make any sudden movements.

But one of the main things was amazement at just how good scoobs are - the number of times I booted it and it failed to unstick, and just shot round faster than seemed possible (considering the surface was equivalent to snow).

Driving home felt so different - feels like you've become aware of 10 times the steering feedback, and are using 1/2 the steering inputs - which is how it should be. An thankfully a lot more confident than when I started.

So a great day, but for me at least felt like I was just scratching the surface of what there is to learn(unlike the Elise owner doing lap after lap with the tail out - but thankfully unlike the other Elise owner & his spin-dryer impressions). Maybe you'd benefit more with a bit of "conventional" performance instruction /trackday experience under your belt. but then again I never saw myself as able to powerslide, so I must have improved a lot!

Funnily enough, I couldn't replicate my acident despite many attempts - but at least I know a bit of throttle would have prevented it or, failng that, a declutch and crake woudl have stopped the spin. Isn't hindsight great?

All in all a great and unique day, and I'll defenitely return in future. Thoroughly recommended!