Sponsored by:

Wetter Water Wetter

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2000, 04:14 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Anyone used or know anything about the Wetter Water stuff ??

Looking at the v. expensive bottle it recons it will cool temprature of the water in your engine.

Does it ??
Does it do any damage ??
Do I need to flush the entire system ??
What happens in Winter ??

Cheers

Old 26 June 2000, 05:16 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Barge,

I've had some in my car's water system for six months now with no problems.

It does reduce the indicated water temperature slightly but I wouldn't agree with the faster warm-up.

I did not flush the system (it had been done three months beforehand) - just added the WW to the existing coolant mixture.

Thanks

Gavin

[This message has been edited by GavinP (edited 26-06-2000).]
Old 26 June 2000, 06:19 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

Used it in my Golf GTi 16V for years when I had it.

It ran hot, but the WW didn't seem to do much.

It had no bad effects though.

Was a pretty pink colour
Old 26 June 2000, 06:51 PM
Greg Small
Scooby Regular

Spoke to a rally mate of mine and it was reckoned that for best results the system should be drained and filled with plain water plus the wetter. Anti freeze apparently reduces the ability of the water to cool things down.
He did mention that clean water was OK in the rally cars cos the engine was being rebuilt frequently but advises the anti freeze for a road car.

Cheers Greg.
Old 26 June 2000, 07:25 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Water has a higher thermal capacity than anti-freeze. ie it takes more energy to heat 1 litre of water by 10 degrees than it does to heat 1 litre of anti freeze.
My mate who is a mechanic recommends increasing the proportion of anti-freeze to ensure interior heater to warm up quicker in the winter. - not recommended in 'performance cars'!
Conversely on the cooling front the hotter the water running through your radiator, the bigger the difference between the temp of the radiator and the ambient air, the more energy is removed from the coolant by the radiator when running hot. If the coolant loses temp too fast the outlet end of the radiator will be cooler and have less of a cooling effect on the liquid due to the decrease in temperature differential to the ambient air.
More water also gives a greater capacity heat sink and therefore greater stability to the coolant temperature.

Ummm.... I hope that helps somebody

Mick
Old 26 June 2000, 08:42 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Thing that is not well recognised is that water is not a very good wetting agent at all.
If you dont belive me try a new cloth with a bit of water then with a bit of alcohol on a different bit. Mind you thats just GCSE Chemistry talking, I've never actually bothered with WW in a car.

p.s. according to a thread on the US board our temperature guages aren't guages at all, they have a huge flat spot on the needle deflection/temperature graph, so the WW may be having a beneficial effect but you can't see it as both readings (with and without) are inside "normal operating temperatures"