Sponsored by:

Expired NCB !

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2001, 05:25 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

i was told by my last car insurance company that my NCB is now expired coz i haven't had a car insurance for the last 2 years! NCB only last for 2 years once you stopped any car insurance.
Old 05 December 2001, 05:35 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Yes, partly correct

Depends if you've had any company cars, in that time. Some will take a company car stint into account - though not a lot.

I was aware of the 2 year rule and think it sucks!

Old 05 December 2001, 05:38 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

That's how they get-ya!

Sadly typical of the industry.

You may be lucky and find an insurer who will give you an introductory discount though.

Some do give discounts to ex-company car drivers which is almost the same thing IMO.

I saw something on here about how you really do have to shop around to find someone who would give you any discount on a second car which again I find staggering.

You can only drive one of them at a time and if you trade up from one £10k car to another £20k car you keep your NCD but if you buy a second £10k car (and you are the only named driver on both) You get sh@fted!

Hope you find a decent quote somewhere!

Old 05 December 2001, 06:25 PM
HamsterWheel
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hmmm... well I seem to have managed to convert 3 years of having no NCB (company car) into now insuring 2 cars (Elise & Focus) both with 12 years NCB. Dunno how i managed it but I ain't complaining !! Saved me a tidy sum !
Mind you, this insurance thing is a total racket - I shouldn't have to pay full whack for the second car because I can only crash one at a time !
Old 05 December 2001, 06:42 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Wink

Give us a call....lets discuss it and see what we can do...

Ask for either John, Dean or Tom
0113 250 0377

All the best

Tom
Old 06 December 2001, 07:54 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Oh dear, here we go again.......

This is nothing new and has been around since time immemorial. No claims bonus relates to you *driving a car* shock horror. If you cease to drive a car for any period of time, the statistics are no longer meaningful and the NCB should expire.

After all, if you cut up your credit cards you wouldn't expect to go back and apply for a new one two years later and not have a credit check done on you!

Stephen Read and Hamster Wheel - yes, you can only crash one of them at a time - but both of them can be stolen or catch fire at any time....
Old 06 December 2001, 09:21 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Dave T-S,

I agree with you that both could be stolen or catch fire but surely one £20k car stolen on burned out represents no more of an exposure to the insurance company than the two £10k ones!

The thing that gets me is that it is not *driving a car* that earns you a NCD it is *not claiming on insurance* that does it.

Take this hypothetical example. Someone decides that the want to go on a 2year bender and quite rightly decides that it would be wise not to drive during that period. They could buy a car for £50 and insure it for a similar amount on a limited mileage or classic policy and NOT DRIVE IT AT ALL FOR TWO YEARS. They could then legitimatley keep (and even build up!) their NCD during this period!

This woul dnot be the case if they drove 20,000 miles in borrowed or hired cars as they would not have had an insurance policy in their name!

PS. I am angry because I am currently out of the UK so I am not looking forward to the day when I deceide to come back and have to buy a Justy just to keep insurance down to a resonable level.

:-)
Old 06 December 2001, 11:27 AM
suba
Scooby Regular

i should have just get a cheapo car (dont even need to be running, therefore no need MOT or road tax) that is in group 1 insurance and not use it at all, and build up my NCB. surely this is legal? isn't it? (car will not be parked in public road)