Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

A question about insurance (if you arent already bored, this will do it)

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2001, 12:56 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's the situation.
I had/have a policy with Direct Line Insurance, and I took it out on a pay-over-10-months basis.
Just before I bought my Integra, I spoke to Direct Line, but because I had only 3 months left to run on my policy, I would need to find the entire extra amount for insuring the R in a single payment.
The Honda dealership came up with a finance deal that included the car repayments and insurance as monthly payments, which I was happy with.
I phoned Direct Line, and told them I would be leaving them, and I was told I only had (at that point) 2 months to go to get one years no claims (I have 0 NCB).
I told them I realised that, but would like to cancel the policy anyway, and they told me to send back the Certificate of Insurance.
I did this, though perhaps to the wrong department, as I recived a letter the other day, telling me they knew of my attempt to cancel my cover with them, but as they had not recieved the certificate, I was still insured with them, unless they hear different.
Now, the Direct Line policy ends in Feb, and then Ill have 1 years NCB with them, my other Honda provided ASA Insurance started in December, and I had to pay them a cash sum to make up for having 0 NCB (I initially thought had one year, so I had to change it with ASA, and pay them the extra).
Now, my DLine policy isnt costing me anything (10 monthly payments, finnished paying in DEc), so should I just leave it, and collect 1 years NCB, and if I do, can I then phone ASA and tell them I actually have 1 years NCB, and recieve compensation?
or, should I get hold of DLine, and cancel the policy, it finnishes end of Feb anyway though, so what do I do?
Its not illegal to have two policies running is it?
Old 01 February 2001, 01:56 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Two polices on the same car is illegal!
I think you'll be skating on thin ice with this one...

RUM* - care to comment sir?
Old 01 February 2001, 02:02 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Wink

Give me a ring and I'll run through it with you....I'm in the office until circa 6pm this eve...then off skiing until 12th Feb...

0113 250 0377

Tom
Old 01 February 2001, 02:12 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Rum*:
<B>Give me a ring and I'll run through it with you....I'm in the office until circa 6pm this eve...then off skiing until 12th Feb...

0113 250 0377

Tom[/quote]

Rum
Skiing? - whereyagoin??

Old 01 February 2001, 02:26 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Well your never going to get any money back from direct line, and you did sent them the cert back, its a shame that they arent capable of getting their part right.

I would ring ASA now, but the chances are you wont get anything knocked off as they usually take NCD from inception of policy.

Maybe you could leave it a month, cancel your ASA, and then use your 1 year NCD to get a better deal?

Be careful tho, most monthly payment pols are not true monthly pols, they are just a normal pol with split payments. As a rough guide you will normally get back 2 months less than the remaining number of months on the policy when cancelling a 1 year policy.
So if youve paid say Dec and Jans payments, I rekon ball park if you cancel now, they will be looking for a couple of months extra payments.

Scary bit is if you have a claim, most policys state that you are immediately liable for any unpaid monies.

robski
Old 01 February 2001, 09:12 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

There is a "short rate" cancellation scale. It's not just made up as they go along. ALL policies are designed (and priced re the admin) to work on an annual basis.

If your premium is priced at (say) £1,000, you have a total loss which the insurer pays in full, your part of the bargain is that you have to pay the full premium as agreed at the time of taking out the policy. If you've only paid part by instalments, you have to pay the rest. What's wrong with that??

So if everyone in the country had a total loss after only paying the first instalment of premium, the whole motor industry would go bust - hmmm, useful, as motor insurance is a compulsory class....
Old 01 February 2001, 09:19 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

IntegraR
Re return of certs, even if you have cancelled the insurance, possession of the cert by you is evidence of coverage that the insurer is liable for. If you then have a crash, with their legal liability to third parties under the Road Traffic Acts, or there is fraud involved.....you can work out the rest.

No cancellation until the cert is returned is used as leverage to get the certs back. Why not? Why should motor insurers be liable even when the coverage is cancelled just because the policyholder has retained the cert.

Motor ins is a far more complex class of ins than most people realise...
Old 02 February 2001, 08:36 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Dave TS I do work in insurance

the scales are not the same for all cos that I have dealt with. Are similar yes, I was trying to give an approximate guide.

I dont see anything wrong with the all premium is due bit either, its just a lot of people dont realise that thats the situation.
Its not widely publicised, and most people just assume they walk away if they have a big loss.

robski
Old 02 February 2001, 01:16 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Robski
Sorry - my post was in response to IntegraR's but tacked on the end of yours M8, not in response/criticism of yours
Old 02 February 2001, 01:31 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dave,

sorry, bit touchy today

regards
robski
Old 02 February 2001, 01:32 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Question

Who's wound ya up M8??
Old 02 February 2001, 02:03 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Well thats just confused me more, because I wasnt complaining about having to pay Direct Line a large extra amount at the end of the policy if I stayed with them and changed cars, I can understand why.
I just want to know if I should just let it go until the end of Feb, I havent been in touch, and the policy will run itself out in a couple weeks, and then Ill have one years no claims.
But how will the 1 NCB work, should I phone Direct Line and tell them Id like to change the policy details, and get insured on my G/f's 106?
That would be a good one, and surely legal, to leave ASA alone, it covers my R, and then change the Direct Line details so Im covered by them on my girlfriends pug until end of Feb.
Whoa, that idea just came to me!!! after 28 years of life in the slow lane, I think I just had a great idea.......and it hurts!!
That what I described is perfectly legal right? I can have two policies to cover me on two seperate cars right? and then, when I get my 1 NCB end of this month, then phone ASA and have them adjust the policy details, and get a smaller refund, because Im 3 months into the policy before I got 1 NCB.
Does that all work, or am I out at sea without a paddle?
That solution sounds ideal, right?
Old 02 February 2001, 02:07 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Kerrching!!!

-as long as you are the primary driver on the 106 policy. It won't work with you as a named driver.....
Old 02 February 2001, 02:11 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

So Dave, my girlfriend has her own policy on the car, and the car is in her name, but could I get insured on it as well through Direct Line as the main driver?
Thanks for all the help.
Old 02 February 2001, 02:16 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

.....but then she would have to become the named driver on your (then) Direct Line policy with you as the policyholder, and would have to lapse/cancel her own policy on the 106.......this is getting complicated
Old 02 February 2001, 02:21 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Damn, I knew it was too good to be true.
Now honestly, should I just keep quiet until the end of Feb, its probably not even the end, a little before, and its been there since December 5th, when I picked up my R, so Im inclined to just let it sail, and then after Feb, would that 1 NCB be transferable to ASA?
Old 02 February 2001, 03:27 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

I would just forget about it mate

Im sure youve got lots of other things that are playing on your mind, so it just slipped your mind.

Dave,

a stuiped bint at work, but Im going home soon, so Im happy again!

robski