Sponsored by:

P1 or MY01 - predicament

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2001, 02:38 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

All, I have a problem - no I don't need to see a doctor !

I have been seen 2 cars in a week, the P1 last week. Totally awesome motor, absolutely mental. Its 25k and been offered 10k for mine in exchange. Leaving me with a balance of 15k to pay.

I've just been to see a std MY01 old shape (last one of the old shape which is the shape I want). That 17k - not bad for a Mar2001 motor. This leaves me with only 7k to pay.

First and foremost I want to upgrade my 1995 McRae to a newer scooby. My delima is wether I go for a P1 or std motor - I haven't driven the std car yet, but from I've seen on this bbs I believe there's going to be a big difference in all areas from my car to the std turbo.

Any thoughts anyone ?

Cheers
Old 30 October 2001, 02:54 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

if you can afford and justify the extra 8k then do it.
The P1 will be a huge improvement over the standard turbo and is well worth an 8k difference.

Old 30 October 2001, 02:57 PM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

P1 if you can afford it - absolutely no question. My MYOO was like a tractor compared to it.

I`m not into all this `should I buy now or should I wait `til..` game. We lose money whatever, it`s better to enjoy while you can.

Cheers
Old 30 October 2001, 03:03 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

James

Its not a question of waiting - its a decision, I dont know what the turbo2000 is like, I've had my McRae for 3 years and I want to move to something a bit more recent.

Old 30 October 2001, 03:05 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

there is bugger all difference between the mcrae and an old shape turbo.

The P1 on the other hand is something else.

Drive it and you will have decided.
Old 30 October 2001, 03:05 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

This one is easy to sort out
Now a P1 is a great car and the new MY01 is good too but how about putting both together and getting yourself an STi7??
seen one for under 25k with 2k on the clock? (in wrc blue too!!) no doubt you can arrange a warranty with the company but it depends if you want to go grey or not???

Tony
Old 30 October 2001, 03:06 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Ash

Couldnt agree more with James.

I am trading my std MY00 for a P1. Great car the MY00 is when you get back into it after the P1 it feels stodgy and a bit pedestrian. The P1 is a big step up in just about every department.

If its cash your worried about then go for a grey STi.
Old 30 October 2001, 03:25 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Cash isn't a problem - get a company allowance - but I know that the P1 is top draw motor and still be worth some spondoolies in 4 years time

Okay - I'm reaching for the phone to see if they still have it (P1 that is). What the hell, I've drove the P1 last week and its just as well I had the bycycle clips on !!
Old 31 October 2001, 12:08 AM
ash1
Scooby Regular

all sorted now - just paid for the car on my credit card ! Well some of it anyway.

So I am now the proud owner of a P1 - not sure which number it is. Will be sad to see the McRae go - I've driven it good tonight in the wet and as ever it was totally superb. Nevermind, out with an old edition and uptodate with the new one. I managed to screw the dealer a bit more as well. Cheeky sod had the nerve to say that I had stolen the shirt of his back and that he would have to cancel going out tonight. Still made money on the P1 and will likely to make some money on the McRae too. Leeches.

Old 31 October 2001, 03:18 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
good man! u wont be upset at paying the extra, just awesome, get rid of the back box though
Old 31 October 2001, 05:08 AM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ash1

Spot on; that didn`t take too long then !

Worthwhile extras are the brake and back box upgrades.

I`m also planning some road driving instruction; will feedback when complete.

Cheers

Old 31 October 2001, 08:37 AM
Viper
Scooby Regular

Ash

Good lad you won't regret it at all. Except meeting my partner and having our daughter it is the best decision I have ever made!!!

Good luck

Phil
Old 31 October 2001, 09:34 AM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Cool

Guys - you say get rid of the back box and upgrade the brakes - any suggestions as to which type of back box and brakes. Also an indication of prices would be good to.

Although I've got the car, I will be on holiday from 10th Nov for 5 weeks abroad, so won't take delivery of the car until Dec 17th!!! My brother the leech has suggested that he takes it for the time while I am away - sponger.
Old 31 October 2001, 11:53 AM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

At last Well done Ash. You'll love it
Old 31 October 2001, 12:01 PM
None Prouder
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice one ash1. You won't regret it. The AP 6pots will be nicely bedded in by the weekend. I'll take the long way back to London from Anfield after seeing them stuff the mancs on Sunday and report back on whether they are worth the huge wedge (the brakes not the mancs).

None Prouder
Old 31 October 2001, 12:37 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Me too Reds fan - top result yesterday, watched it live on ITV Sport in the pub. Redmen are getting stronger and stronger now. I said to a mate that what happened to the manager could either bring the players together or they could lose their way. Fortunately its worked out well. A mate was supposed to get tickets last Tuesday, then with the draw in Portugal on Wed all tickets were sold and I was bit hacked off with him - but managed to play 5 a side before watching the match anyway.

Can't wait for the car, won't be in it for a wee while yet. How much were the brakes ?

Thanks Paul for the message - I know I took my time, but the car is worth half my house, so I think I was right to take a breather. Plus I think it worked well in brokering the deal with Subaru Beechdale (Nottingham) -I managed to get the price down even more and got them to transfer me stereo and speakers. I haven't finished with them yet, I intend to screw them a bit more - only fair I think. They're still making on it - its what they do best, hopefully I have eaten well into their margin, hee,hee.

Is it worth getting the car inspected ? I haven't bothered as its a Scooby dealership and they're not going to chance any probs with the car. I got my McRae from a RN Goldens in Huddersfield and car has been sweet.
Old 31 October 2001, 05:11 PM
None Prouder
Scooby Regular

Smile

Nice to meet another Red. We get everywhere. V good performance by the boys last night. If we can only get a fit squad of players we might really challenge this year.

The brakes were expensive, not much change out of 2 grand fitted. But they look the dogs and I'm expecting the performance to be excellent when bedded in.

None Prouder
Old 31 October 2001, 05:54 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Not sure if I can splash the cash yet - no worries, we can sort that out after. How about tinting the back windows - or is that too pimpish ? What about the backbox - which one and how much ?

Redmen in Europe - I remember 1977, 1978 and the 80s Euro champs and they were awesome. That 3-1 against Gladbach (Tommy Smith bullet header) and 1-0 against Brugge (Dalglish deft chip over the keeper). Last years UEFA cup run can only help us and the guys are looking stronger with each game. And look at the squad? Stevie Wright - what a talent. Captain Carragher is a fab player, no nonsene and marked a bloke twice the size of him. Hamman I thought was excellent and is getting better each time he plays. We just need to keep the team spirit thing going and turn over Scum Utd on Sunday. That and our other game in hand would mean us top for the 1st time in 3 years. Cmon the Reds.
Old 31 October 2001, 07:47 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Ash, get the scoobysport or P1wr exhaust from the dealer
Old 01 November 2001, 12:03 AM
None Prouder
Scooby Regular

Cool

Oh yes. We will turn over scum again on sunday. It's a good against evil deal, dark side against the light. It's very simple. And for god's sake don't tint the windows. It's sad and ugly. And please will someone tell me how I put smilies in a post.

None Prouder
Old 01 November 2001, 08:37 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Wink

ash1, don't screw the dealer over too much....they're my local one and I will end up paying for your motor

Seriously though, very good dealer, have had no problems with them at all and they are always happy to listen and try and find any problems.

Enjoy your P1 and don't let your brother in it
Old 01 November 2001, 11:40 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mr Hanslow, let me tell you that I am not screwing them too much, I am merely trying to reduce the margin by which they are screwing me! I know that they are still making on it,plus they said they have some 850k's worth of car sitting around, which can't be good business in terms of turnover. Let me assure you that they're still well up on the deal - after all its a bit like the bookies isn't it - they always win !

Anyway, I'm happy, if you don't push then you get nowt. I tend to push a little more as I'm a Yorkshireman. (contradiction there - Yorkshireman spending 25k on a car ! Oops). We love a good deal and its in our makeup I guess.

Roll on December when I'm back from India (5 weeks chillin), looking browner than I am, hopefully lost a few pounds (cos I need to - not much, but too many good nights out has hit the waistline) and blasting around in the P1. Wow. That hole in the O Zone layer with my name on it has just got bigger.

Nice to hear that they're a good dealership too. Seemed like genuine bods.

Ash
Old 04 November 2001, 05:13 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Cool

None prouder - did you go to the game ? I watched it on Sky and it was great - totally outplayed them and Riise goal was pure magic. Love that John Arne tune as well - kind of grows on you.
Old 04 November 2001, 07:08 PM
None Prouder
Scooby Regular

Talking

I certainly did. I thought we completely d1cked them. We were pretty much in control throughout. I was surprised how their heads dropped after our 3rd and that Beckham's so cr4p they subbed him These early morning kick-offs are great. You can have a lot of fun on the roads at 6:30 on a Sunday morning.

The brakes are nicely bedded in and so much better than the standards. Very firm. I'll have to see how they perform on track. At the moment it's a full recommendation from me.

I haven't seen or heard any interviews after the match. Was fergie gutted?

None Prouder
Old 04 November 2001, 10:54 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Actually Rednose was very respectul considering his team took a good stuffing. Old rednose has got problems, especially with that dodgy defence. Amazing how we once had a dodgy defence and now its them.

I said to a few of my mates (one Geordie, one Scum fan, one Leeds mate and me a red) last year on a night out that football success tends to move in circles and my vision to them is that the Scum dominance would soon be in decline and that other teams such as the Mighty Red machine will come to the fore once again. That was my vision this time last year well before we embarked on the cup successes. Okay, Leeds are up there, but I think they will have to manage without some of their aussies soon and their squad is not as big as ours.