Sponsored by:

STI slayer launched by Subaru UK in May

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2001, 07:18 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

This thread isnt because I posted the initial thread, but just more curiosity.

I posted yesterday about the new Limited Edition MY01 (no Subaru are not saying what the thread Subject says). A whole thread of 7 replies. Most about things other than the new car.
Yet a post about bad driving get 60 in less time.

Is this because its a MY01 and most owners on here are obviously old shape and dont like MY01 talk ?

Is it because its an IM limited edition and not an STI or Import ?

Do people just class the MY01 as not a REAL Impreza so forget it ?

Is talk about cars especially the Impreza in the General forum not the right thing to do ?

Do we need to sensationalise threads now just to get a discussion going.

No Ive not ordered the MY01 Limited Edition yet, but have got a MY01 on the drive to see if I like it more now.

Jonathan
Old 23 January 2001, 07:34 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

Talking

well, i've driven a MY01 and -after reading all the comments- it was a nice surprise. i am gonna buy one and with a few mods it's gonna make me smile all the way. so your message about a Special Edition has made me very, very curious.. Have asked a Dutch dealer about it but he didnt know anything about it. Is it an UK-only edition?
Old 23 January 2001, 10:17 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Personally I read it and thought yes okay another MY01 story could be good but wasnt too excited. I guess the lack of replies is due to the car being scruntinised (sp?) in every cag mag for at least 5 issues for each mag . There have been thousands of posts on every BBS I have looked at. It seemed to fill scoobynet for about 6 months solid, with pre released spy pictures, actual release pictures, made up pictures, artists impressions . Then the official release and disbelief posts and it all started again. Then the motorshow, then the first test drives and people spotting them on the roads, in dealerships. Then the old newbie "has anyone seen the new impreza - what do you think"

Dont get me wrong some of it was good stuff but I guess you can only talk about something for so long .

Having said all that by all accounts its still a good car and its seems they have taken some of the rawness out of it but thats what made the old impreza great IMHO.

Perosnally I had the choice of a brand new MY00 import and an MY01 and I went for the import. Okay I may lose more money on it but so what even 22B's depreciate .

I am still interested just a little less since buying the import .

cheers

chrisp

[This message has been edited by chrisp (edited 23 January 2001).]
Old 23 January 2001, 10:34 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Maybe it's because the prospect of a pig ugly, overweight 240hp car doesn't appeal to a lot of people??

Might just about stay with a std old shape UK car now then........
Old 24 January 2001, 12:38 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Give it time.

A few more complimentary comments from Pete at scoobysport (along with some cosmetic and performance add-ons) along with the sight of them giving the standard STi's a run for their money on track will change the general feeling towards the MY01 on the BBS.
Old 24 January 2001, 07:54 AM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by CraigH:
Maybe it's because the prospect of a pig ugly, overweight 240hp car doesn't appeal to a lot of people??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL
Sounds about right!

Niall
Old 24 January 2001, 08:00 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Hunk:
<B>(i don't like to be called blind & stupid for buying one )[/quote]

(Edited because the driver (me) is a muppet!!

You've gotta realise that *most* people, particularly us guys that have an old shape Scooby bought one 'cos we love the rawness and usually the looks also. We are all saddened that the MY01 *In our opinion* looks absolutely pants and the driving experience has been dulled. We all wanted the new car to be more of the same, better looking and better performing but what has happened is a car which most of us have no interest in buying. That leaves us scratching our heads about what we want next!!! (As we don't want the new car!).

Matt.

[This message has been edited by mutant_matt (edited 24 January 2001).]

Trending Topics

Old 24 January 2001, 08:07 AM
Neil Vickers
Scooby Newbie

Simple fact is Subaru have messed with a popular car and due to trying to please all of the people (refinement, driver appeal, performance, price etc) have ended up with a slighly compromised car.

What can else can you get for the money, nothing. But as I understand most dealers can provide a MY01 car in 6 weeks rather than 6 months someones made a mistake.

Ignoring the fact that most magazines are disapointed (some I respect and some I don't) you ave to admit it aint the prettiest car on the forecourt :-)

Shame really because this is what happened with the M3 everyone still talks in awe of the original. But that said BMW have managed to stay on just the right side of the compromise.
Old 24 January 2001, 08:10 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

I agree with most comments

its VERY ugly, it needs a couple of years to have the rough edges sorted (e.g. lights), and the more powerful engine broight over

for now tho, I would not even have it on my list if I was spending that sort of cash on a car. I would look at a year or two old models including the "old" sti and uk spec impreza.

Driven last night had the first shots of the EVO 7. They are like chalk and cheese, Subaru have gone mass market, and that looses car fanatics. Mitsu have stayed extreme, and IMHO will steal a lot of potential subaru purchasers.

robski
Old 24 January 2001, 08:23 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

...if it weren't for the fact that the Mitsubishi is a mere 10,000 more expensive

Given the options, the New WRX still looks tempting in the marketplace, though with a V6 Alfa 156 cheaper it's "no longer the default choice" (at least in the estate market, according to Evo)
Old 24 January 2001, 08:59 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

6 months from now most people will start to love it, we've seen this before in many models by other manufacturers. Already I see peopel saying ooohhh its not as bad as I thought. Just give it time and it'll become fashionable.
Old 24 January 2001, 09:10 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>
You've gotta realise that *most* people, particularly us guys that have an old shape Scooby bought one 'cos we love the rawness and usually the looks also. We are all saddened that the MY01 *In our opinion* looks absolutely pants and the driving experience has been dulled. We all wanted the new car to be more of the same, better looking and better performing but what has happened is a car which most of us have no interest in buying. That leaves us scratching our heads about what we want next!!! (As we don't want the new car!).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The new car is supposedly faster A to B than the old one, so when you say the driving experience has been dulled, exactly what do you mean? I presume you bought the Impreza because it a fast car (also a good price and looks half decent in Turbo form), so if the new one is faster, it should be as exciting for different reasons.

If you want to feel as if you are grappling with a "raw" machine, buy a 1.0l Fiesta and rag the **** off it everywhere. The late, great James Hunt used to drive a crappy little Austin everywhere because he was "always on the limit", which is the thrill we all crave, after all.

This BBS is in danger of becoming like the RS Owners club, stuck in a time warp, unable to move on and apppreciate newer, better technology. The owners of the next great icon of fast motoring will come and scoff at us, the same way in which you lot scoff at the RS boys. (But yes, they do deserve it )

IMO (disclaimer)

Geezer

[This message has been edited by Geezer (edited 24 January 2001).]
Old 24 January 2001, 10:06 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

I think the biggest problem is that we were expecting the MY01 to be same as the MY00 but better (quicker, cheaper, prittier(?)). But we have something that took us by supprise, so to speak, and we are just getting used to it.

Really, it's a completly different car. Maybe we should not think of it as an extenion of the old Impreza, but a new start for a new car. Although I've not driven one, the things I read seem to indicate that it has improved in some areas (handling, interior), the points that let it down (power to weight, noise) can be worked on. For my t'pence worth, if I was in the market now I would buy one IF it didn't look like it does now (yes, I'm shallow )

I'm just glad that I'm not looking to buy a new car for a few years yet. By then either a) I will have gotten used to it's looks and sucumbed, b) Subaru will given it a face lift (good chance of this. It only took them two years to change the looks of the old, old one), c) I'll buy a second hand P1 or MY00 STI import instead.

I'm sure that given a few months we will not be as harsh on it, once we have gotten used to the sight of it on our roads.

Geezer,

I don't think it's a case of getting stuck in a time warp for the old model. Just that the new madel hasn't impressed people enough yet. I'm sure that will change in the coming months, then we will see more threads and owners on the BBS. I think people would change if they though the car was better. If they don't, they'll stick with the old one. Simple as that.
Old 24 January 2001, 10:11 AM
Silver Surfer
Scooby Regular

Well I'd like to know more about the MY01 Ltd Edition.

If they can sort out the cars headlights properly and rear spoiler it might be OK.
240bhp as standard is a good starting point.

I sure that SS and others can help replace soem of the rawness!

Old 24 January 2001, 10:18 AM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Ive just handed back the keys to the MY01. After my post last night I went for a drive on nice quiet roads and in wet conditions. Driving my favourite road, one up in a well run in MY01.

My lasting impresion is of a car that is not much slower if at all than my old MY00. The handling though is a improvement over my old P1. Where that would understeer this wont. The ride was more comfortable than my Audi S4. There were some bad points. The car didnt feel that stable in crosswind - maybe because it feels like its on stilts. I would still like a better quality interior, the looks need altering and wheels need changing.

However the Limited Edition does seem to go in the right direction.

LOOKS

Big Rear Wing and Revised Front Spoiler
New Headlight design

POWER

240bhp with the PPP.

Now add Prodrive or Leda Suspension and Alcon or Brembo brakes and this wont be a bad car. Also add some 18" wheels

If it looks a bit like the link below and drives like the std MY01 with more power I think its got the beating of most old shape.
Old 24 January 2001, 10:26 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

When you look at the new model does it make you say "OOooohhh I want one of those". When you look at the performance figures for it do think "Can't wait to give it a try"? Personally the answer to both questions is a resounding NO which leaves me more than a little bit Pi55ed off.

I bought a 2nd hand RB5 with the view to buy a new one in 3 to 4 years, this is not going to happen now unless something radically changes with the car. I'm now thinking of a Skyline but is that going to go the same bland way as the Scooby MY01 and Evo VII.

I want a car that I can afford that is better than the car I currently have and at the moment there is nothing NEW that fills both criteria.

Mike
Old 24 January 2001, 12:09 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

Smile

About the magzz,

Subaru's thriumph is that the Impreza has lost none of its enthusiasm for the task of going fast.
Whatever Subaru might have done to the exterior styling, the driving experience seems to have been ratcheted up.
Steering vagueness is gone. Ultimately it's a better set-up. Gearshift smoothed with an easier action. Throttle response slightly better.
The turbocharged versions remain, dynamically at least, winners.
CAR december

This is just one example. The statement "I guess the lack of replies is due to the car being scruntinised (sp?) in every cag mag" is over the top. The WRX01 has got flaws, as noticed by all the mags, but the negative attitude towards it comes mainly from overenthusiast 'old'model owners. Overall its absurd to treat the WRX as an unwanted monster, compared to other cars (except the old model) it beats 'm all on price/performance. I to am disappointed by the slight power-downfall but lets not exaggerate.
(i don't like to be called blind & stupid for buying one )
Old 24 January 2001, 01:00 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Gents,

I agree with Jonathan on this one.. If Subaru can change the car to look like the one in the link Jonathan posted...I'd be buying one. also, let's wait and see what goodies become available before we right it off.

Karlos
Old 24 January 2001, 01:57 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Jonathon.

Yes the car in the link does look better; "old" WRC rear wing, "old" P1 wheels (in traditional 'STi gold').
Yes I think they're starting to go in the right direction......

In all honesty I thought that the MY01 WRC car looked nearer the mark as it is so much more "full on" and the black background headlights improved that horrible squint eyed look.

The last consideration is that a review of the MY01 STi against an Evo VI found that the EVO beat it in most conditions; definately a step back from the old STi.

A UK MY01 version that is to be a serious contender to a late STi would really have to be something special; they tried that once before and never managed it.

I'll get me coat.

Neil.
Old 24 January 2001, 03:16 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well Jonathan, I missed your thread, probably because it was hard to find amongst the generally confusing titled threads that permeate this BBS.

I would have been interested in the ltd edition had Subaru bothered to even suggest it when I was looking at the MY01 last year.

The problem with the Impreza is that it has only two speeds: Slow and f***ing fast. There's nothing in between. OK the car is capable of being driven well in fast mode, but not every driver can do so, and certainly not me!

The MY01's remap does not solve the problem. The PPP only goes so far as well. I had to test drive the MY01 twice in order to realise that I'd be mad to buy one: I could have killed myself in my MY00. The MY01 handled so much better that there's no doubt that it would also encourage me to exceed my capabilities as a driver.

But I couldn't buy an MY01 anyway. After seeing it again on my second test drive I though that it was even uglier than I thought the first time. No modifications, apart from a complete replacement of the front end, are going to make the car look anything other than a joke.

Aside from this, as I have written before, the MY01 is a very good car, especially for the money. I loved my MY00 and I think of it whenever I see another one on the road. I will probably do so even more when I start seeing MY01s.

I miss not giving other Scooby drivers a wave - that mutual respect seems to be a rather exclusive thing.

[This message has been edited by Dippy (edited 24 January 2001).]
Old 24 January 2001, 05:06 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Having at last test drove the MY01 my impression was that it did not pull as hard and was not as easy to feel out on the limit. It did feel very stable. Any discussion about the current car is however wasted on me as I would rather drive a more economical slow ugly car such as a new Octavia, than a uneconomical slow ugly car such as the new Impreza
Old 24 January 2001, 05:35 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Isn't it about time everyone stopped whinging about the new car. I bet most of the people who moan about it haven't even driven one yet. Those that have seem to think it's OK.

If you think back a couple of years to when the Impreza turbo was launched and compare that car to a MY2000 the old car is a nowhere near as good as the newer car,
with its little wheels and Allegro interior.

Just give the new car time and I'm sure it will turn into an icon like the Impreza's of the last couple of years.At least Subaru have got a lot of things they can improve over the next few years.

Cheers

Chip.

P.S. I agree the new car is ugly.
Old 24 January 2001, 05:39 PM
James Douglas
Scooby Regular

Absolutely mate! Ive got a WRX and i think its the dogs.

Stop slagging it off everyone and get a test drive. Its still a great car!!

James
Old 24 January 2001, 05:59 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Doofus:
<B>

I still wouldn't put the new Scooby in the same market place as the Alfa.

[/quote]

Having owned a 156 V6 and now driven a MY01, beleive it, they are direct competitors. Similar power, similar performance, similar price, similar sporty but comfortable more compliant ride. Looks are a pole apart, but in the Alfas favour

Still prefer my MY99 tho

PS where is the original link?? I can't find it anywhere???

Old 24 January 2001, 06:20 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Wink

I remember going through precisely these thoughts when I ordered my Impreza back in '97. How on earth could I justify buying such an ugly car (particularly with the 15" wheels available at the time).
When I first discovered Scoobynet in '98 there was much discussion about the ugliness of the car. All that has happened since then is the addition of bigger wings and wheels that have made the car look either cooler or more ridiculous depending on your point of view. Lets face it ALL IMPREZAS ARE FUGLY!
A test drive was all that it took to convince me to buy the car (a MY98).

When the car was less well known people just saw an ugly Japanese saloon car. These days everybody knows what the car is capable of and no longer sees the ugly Jap saloon underneath. It is a cool car to have because of the widespread knowledge of it's abilities.

In my opinion the MY01 (with the exception of the front lights) looks better than the outgoing model. Subaru have (partially) addressed my main criticisms of the car - the flaky interior and the awful understeer. No doubt Mr Croney will make it even better.

So, the thought of a more powerful version of the new car has to be the best Impreza yet.

Simon

Old 24 January 2001, 06:20 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Doofus:
<B>

I still wouldn't put the new Scooby in the same market place as the Alfa.

[/quote]

Having owned a 156 V6 and now driven a MY01, beleive it, they are direct competitors. Similar power, similar performance, similar price, similar sporty but comfortable more compliant ride. Looks are a pole apart, but in the Alfas favour

Still prefer my MY99 tho

PS where is the original link?? I can't find it anywhere???

Old 24 January 2001, 07:01 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Smile

For what it's worth, I've been looking at scoobies longingly for about 3 years now and last month found myself in the position of having to choose MY00 or MY01.

I tested both and went for the MY00 simply cos it "floated my boat" in the looks department and when i returned to the dealership I got out of it and thought "Jesus what a car".

That just didn't happen with the MY01
Old 24 January 2001, 08:39 PM
BladeRnnr
Scooby Regular

Cool

Having gone through these My00 Vs My01 threads like a dose of salts after 10 pints of Guiness and a curry washed down with syrup of figs........AN OLD CLICHE COMES TO MIND..

IF IT AINT BROKE DON'T FIX IT.........

FHI could have saved mega bucks and only done minor plastic surgery...... and slight chasis tweeks .....

One thing i would say though the wr Blue mica is an absolutely bloody spot on...colour.

Now where can i get my My00 resprayed.....

m.