Sponsored by:

MY01 the end of an era?

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2000, 03:56 PM
mutley
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I thought long and hard when ordering my new scooby. ( I previously sold an MY98 which I was delighted with).
Should I order a MY00, or an MY01. Yhe MY00 is the last of the old shape/design, an acknowledged classic of it's era, it has cult status.
The new MY01 is a new shape, maybe more power, but will it be the same. Can MY00 be improved upon? Will it become just a rather quick japanese sports car?

I am reminded of two examples, the quattro/S2 change and the old to new shape 3 series. The quattro is still a legend. The hairs on my neck rise when I see one even now. The S2 was billed as better faster the succesor to the quattro. In reality it could not be replaced.
The old 3 series was a great car, but when the new one came out, it blasted the old one away. It was the new classic.

Which will the MY01 be? I believe that we are at the end of an era. Gentlemen (and ladies) you are driving a classic then will go out of production in a handful of weeks, and will be mourned for ever. It cannot be replaced. The MY01 will be good, but never that good......

I ordered a MY00, and I will keep it for ever!
Old 11 May 2000, 04:40 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

The current car is a cult classic without doubt.

However this will live on in the MYO1, unlike the Quattro and Intergrale the imprezza name is set to live on.

280bhp so I've heard, the largest stoppers Brembo have ever put on a road car!!!, the legend can only get stronger, don't be sentimental be one of the new order.
Old 11 May 2000, 04:47 PM
NickF
Scooby Regular

Irrespective of whether or not the MY00 is the last of a great line, will the MY01 make the 22B, P1 etc (to say nothing of the WRX, Type R etc) redundant. If it really has 280 fully warranted, use-95-octane-fuel, reliable horesepower, I reckon the whole grey importing game could well and truly be over.

Not to be conused with parallel importing from Europe, which will continue for as long as the Europe:UK price differential remains.

Nick
Old 11 May 2000, 05:07 PM
mutley
Scooby Newbie

this sounds like the PR for the S2 before it arrived....(showing my age!). Tecnically it was better in all departments, in reality it just didn't have it. The sum of the parts added up to less.
Old 11 May 2000, 05:28 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Truth is, nobody knows yet. It might be pants (unlikely) or it might make you think that the current model really is a farmers car.

Personally, I like progress, and think that classic cars are just old cars, superseded by better machinery. The current Impreza Turbo may keep cult status, because it was the first Impreza that really made an impact. The next one will not probably attain the same status, which is a shame, because it will probably be better.
Old 11 May 2000, 05:41 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

I am also reminded of Toyota when they replaced the MK1 MR2 with the Mk2. They turned a good, nimble and chuckable car into a lardy failed GT tourer. I remember a headline from whatcar 'How Toyota ruined the new MR2'

My gut feeling is that Subaru will do the same with the MY01. It will become a 'grown up' Impreza instead of the rowdy teenager it is today. Purists will hate it, new punters who never knew what went before will love it.
It's not out over here till next year anyway but as soon as it is i'll ask for a test drive, just to be proved right you understand
Old 11 May 2000, 09:54 PM
paul w
Scooby Regular

i agree with you neil as we've seen this happen to other cars,my old 200sx turned from a sports car into mr directors motor,geat car but a bit too sensible

i'll be keeping my 00 as this will be the last of the cult impreza as every bloke and his dog seems to be after them now,i just hope they dont go the same way as the xr3(i never owned one,uno turbo's instead)they were great at the start but look towards the end -a right tossers mota.

Old 11 May 2000, 10:10 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmm
Suppose its very much like Star Wars vs Return of The Jedi, Star Wars is the cult film that kick started a whole phenomenon, however ROTJ in many ways is superior.

Old 11 May 2000, 10:12 PM
I Stancer
Scooby Regular

Cool

The current model is a "farmers car Mr.Geezer I am living testament to that as is Juha Kankunen ( and Tommi Makinnen for that matter , they both advertise Valmet Tractors !!!!) other farmers cars have included Primera eGT , 8v Integrale , CRX etc

Ian
Old 11 May 2000, 10:14 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Actually I'm hoping the MY01 is gonna be a bit of a dog - keep the residual value of my MY00 good!! (but I'll have to keep it till it rusts!)
Old 11 May 2000, 11:04 PM
paul w
Scooby Regular

ian,

a farmers car ,my boss drives a sad volvo and me being a poorly paid worker can only afford a new impreza,times are tough eh
you must be a farmers son.

paul
Old 12 May 2000, 12:13 AM
JohnS

Lightbulb

If anyone is worried that the new Impreza may not be better, then there is a dealer north of Inverness which has two brand new unregistered MY00 cars sitting in the forecourt waiting for someone to buy them.

I think one is a 5 door.

No idea on colour or spec.
Old 12 May 2000, 08:35 AM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Too change or not too change that is the ? Having experianced in the past buying a car 2 months before new model comes out with all the pre release roadtesters slagging the new car off, for having Kack handleing and dull interiour, gutless engines etc.
I thought I was safe in my purchase but as soon as the general public got hold of the new cars, the value of my car fell into freefall and never recovered. I made the decision then, never to be a sucker again and fall for the hype of being told that the new car isn't as good as the original one (Would manufactours do this to shift old shape on, example make a Ltd edition of say 500 no make that a thousand of a shape that is about to be replaced and milk the market for everything and then sell them the new shape 6 months later but with the same engine spec etc of the old shape but as the new shape base model? )
This is partly why I sold my STI IV in Feb of this year as I thought that even if the new shape is Kack there would be a lot of the old shape taken as part ex's so it would be a buyers market and I could upgrade to a STI V or VI for what I sold my car or go for a new shape but without losing big time on my cars price. It has been very hard going without a Scooby but I was not going to be ripped off again. So back to the original ? End of an ERA ? yep it sure will be, but past masters never die they just go down in folklaw as the undisputed king of KINGS.......!!!

[This message has been edited by ian/555 (edited 12-05-2000).]
Old 12 May 2000, 09:49 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Scott J Davies:
<B>Hmmmmm
Suppose its very much like Star Wars vs Return of The Jedi, Star Wars is the cult film that kick started a whole phenomenon, however ROTJ in many ways is superior.

[/quote]

Scott,
Surely you mean The Empire Strikes back, as ROTJ is widely accepted to be the weakest of the trilogy. It is also despised by the purists for introducing the Ewoks, who let's admit, were the most annoying little tw@ts to ever grace the silver screen.

Geezer

Old 12 May 2000, 10:08 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
WHAT!!!!!!!!

Even more than... I can hardly bring myself to say it......

JarJar Binks....??????
Old 12 May 2000, 10:10 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ian/555

Totally agree with you, was going to buy a V5 type R, but I think I'll keep my money in the bank and see what happens in a couple of months, people upgrading to P1's will also cause a downward trend in the market.

D.
Old 12 May 2000, 10:12 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Hmmmm MY01.....

We know its much heavier, wider, longer, deperately ugly/bizzare looking, has got loads more emissions tat bolted on the engine, especially induction side, and you guys reckon its going to be better......

Me I'm not convinced...... I heard a rumour that reckoned when the MY01 came out, old shape Impreza residuals would rocket!!!!

IMHO of course.
Old 12 May 2000, 10:20 AM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Geezer

Jar Jar as DrHu said has to be the biggest mistake George Lucas ever made.

Personaly I feel the ROTJ was a much stronger film than ESB. ESB was lacking in continutiy and flow, the awful distractions that the film seemed to fill itself out with were cak ie Luke being captured by the Hoth monster (not sure whether this is the right name)
Old 12 May 2000, 10:38 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Talking

An interesting point Scott. But those sodding Ewoks still do it for me! Speaking of doing it for me, I seem to remember Princess Leia making me have stirrings in ROTJ. I was only 15 though!

Question is, will Natalie Portman get them oot for t' lads in Espisode 2?

Yours extremely sadly

Geezer
Old 12 May 2000, 11:21 AM
Don Key
Scooby Regular

Wink

You lot seem to be minted, but I have bagged one of the last MY00's because I was worried I wouldn't be able to afford the MY01 if the rumors of spec. are true. A sort of now or never moment presented itself.

Don

[This message has been edited by Don Key (edited 12-05-2000).]
Old 12 May 2000, 11:37 AM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Geezer

Of course how could I have forgot the defining moment in ROTJ, the Gold Bikini Grrrrrrrrarr, ESB had none of that. This was when Princess Leia stopped being a Princess.
Geez, may the force be with you.

Don

I am sure that with all the controversy over UK car prices recently that the MY01 will not be priced much higher if at all over the current car.

Old 12 May 2000, 02:03 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Talking

How can a film mix two such different things as these?

as opposed to

I know which one gets my vote.

Perhaps these two will come to represent the MY00 and the MY01. One is really annoying and best forgotten, the other gets yer blood pumping when you take it for a ride! (no, not the Ewok blubs). It will be interesting to see which is which. WHo on this BBS has a MY01 on order for definite?
Old 12 May 2000, 02:06 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Geezer

LOL

Speaking to Pete Croney yesterday, he's due to get one of the first in the UK.

Old 12 May 2000, 03:42 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

Now that IS a fluffy chee !!
(drool.........I'm not even going to go there)

blubs
Old 12 May 2000, 07:11 PM
CB1
Scooby Regular

I'm gonna agree with the majority here and say 'Empire Stikes Back' was the weaker film. ROTJ was and still is the business.

And its no good having a pop at the Ewoks. Don't forget that it was these fury little fellows that helped shut down the 'Field Generator.... for crying out loud.

Obi-Won has tought you well.

Back to adulthood. On the subject of new Impreza versus old. It reminds me of a saying.

"When 300 years old you are, not look this good. Me thinks not"......sorry, Yoda (ROTJ).
But, despite the current shape being a classic. Prices will tumble. Mines going soon (sadly, but I did see one on the A3 with WRX across the whole of the back in gold letters. RS/GT boys are coming. You know its time to sell)

Never get me going on Star Wars. Please

CB
Old 12 May 2000, 07:20 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Cool

Scott J D and Geezer, I have sat in the Millenium Falcon in the pilots seat,I broke some of the buttons off on the control panel but lucky for me chewbacker didn't see me and it was not as quick as a scoob in fact it just sort of sat there with me making engine noises!
Old 12 May 2000, 08:04 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Talking

Ian,
That is very sad, but I am strangely envious!!
Old 12 May 2000, 10:51 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

The lack of continuity as you put it in ESB with the Luke/Hoth monster episode was to justify the scars which Luke had managed to attain in a RTA before the filming of ESB so was there out of necessity. I wouldn't say that the majority think ESB to be the weaker film but ROTJ. I don't think either of them match up to the original SW.

As for the new MY01, how do we know it's heavier? I've heard that it's wider and longer wheelbase but not heavier! "Judge me by my size do you??? And as well you should not...for the force is my ally........."It's a shame if Subaru are making it more grown up as I thought that is what the Legacy is supposed to be all about!

UTD
Nito

Old 13 May 2000, 09:32 PM
Mikey Ace
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

'Upgrade to a P1?????'

Nah, larger 'cat, softer front springs, ugly spots, if you ask me, they've taken a reckles and rowdy STi version V tamed into a puppy in order to establish a market differentiator over the grey import stuff.

Get an STi- it does make a difference down some twisty lanes.

Also, the new WRX in Japan is supposed to get a 6-speed 'box, as one of the nice toys they get over there, any idea if we get that in the MY01 ??
Old 15 May 2000, 02:05 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Rumor has it that the UK ver is to have a 6 speeder, we'll soon find out.

Ian

Millenium Falcon eh!!!

Nice

The weakest of all SW films so far has to be the Phantom Anus, sorry I mean the Phantom Menance.

Quick Reply: MY01 the end of an era?