Sponsored by:

Optimax

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2001, 09:41 AM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Just filled up last night at Shell Rye Street Bishop's Stortford - 73.9p / litre, only 4p more than regular unleaded

BUT I-Spy petrol site claims that my cheapest local source of Super is Esso at 79.9p. Look out - this site clearly isn't as accurate as it likes to think it is!!

Hugh

Old 03 November 2001, 02:58 PM
gadge
Scooby Regular

Cool

optimax is optimax not sul
Old 03 November 2001, 05:39 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Optimax is empirically worse in my scoob than Esso SUL. Det is much worse according to my knock meter. Also the car runs better on Esso.
Old 03 November 2001, 05:56 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I'm aware that Optimax is Optimax, but I-Spy previously - ie in the last week - quoted prices for my local Shell garages correctly, but now seems to have stopped doing so.

Hugh
Old 04 November 2001, 12:43 AM
JKJ2
Scooby Regular

I originally thought that Optimax felt better in my car, but after 3-4 tank fulls the response is definitly dulled, changed back to SUL and the performance has returned. Oh dear Shell, what are you serving us?
Old 04 November 2001, 08:51 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I have my Link'd car mapped for Optimax. Yesterday I could only get hold of BP SUL, so I fill up with about 35 litres.

I drove the car and initially I got a lot of noise of full throttle and it lit up all the amber LED's on my knocklink, which never happens on the road.

After that initial scare, it calmed down. But on full throttle it was lighting up the first green led, bearing in mind that normally it doesn't light up at all.

A cap full of NF cleared up the noise!

All I can say is that BP SUL caused more noise on my Knocklink than with Optimax, or SUL with NF!

Cheers
Andy
Old 04 November 2001, 07:34 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

Mmmmmm......starting to have the same thoughts as JKJ2. When I first went onto Optimax there was a clear improvement but now performance has dulled also. May try a tank of Esso to see what happens.

Otis.
Old 04 November 2001, 07:54 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

(originally posted by Otis) BUT I-Spy petrol site claims that my cheapest local source of Super is Esso at 79.9p. Look out - this site clearly isn't as accurate as it likes to think it is!!

Thought a similar thing a few weeks ago since I had filled with sul cheaper than their "cheapest station"....

So I e-mailed them and told them so.

Their reply was along the lines of "We get our info from companies/ individuals who pay for fuel by fuel-payment cards..... if a cheaper station is not used by these fuel-payment cards then we do not know about it." Or something like that, I did not keep the original mail, so may have misquoted, but the gist is right.
Old 04 November 2001, 07:57 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

On the optimax question....

Did not really notice an improvement in performence over sul......

But got REALLY CRAP fuel economy...... about a 20% reduction

So now use ESSO sul, still get great performence, but getting better economy again
Old 04 November 2001, 10:55 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

When I first got my car (MY00) I drove on NUL. After a few months tried SUL (Esso) thought the improvement was enough to run around for a few months on SUL. That included loads of motorway mileage.

Along came Optimax and I tried that. Thought is was a vaste improvement, so started using that.... Thought it great.

Had a ITG filter fitted along with a Scoobysports BB months ago.

Went on the rollers and got a disappointed 208 BHP. Car stated playing up, hesitating and all that.

Dealer looked over it for a week. IM sent a rep!!! Still running like a bag of ****e again. Tried NUL and am loving it loving it loving it.

I'd be interested in proof that there is a vaste difference in Petrols in Scoobies.

Cheers Phill.

PS Sideways got 240 BHP in a MY97 with 109k, ITG, Scoobysports fully system on NUL.