Transfering private Reg to new Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2006, 10:33 AM
ScoobyTal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfering private Reg to new Vehicle

Spot of advice required please chaps

Changing my car shortly and currently have a private reg which I would like on the new one as quick as posible.

The new car is due March / April but it will be pre registered (so I dont get the log book for a while)

Whats the best way to proceed (cheapest!!) I guess I need to put the reg on retention and get the old number back on the Scoob (current car)

Cheers

Tal
Old 19 January 2006, 11:27 AM
WJB
Scooby Regular

Look here

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/cher...on%20Facility?
Old 19 January 2006, 01:28 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

DEFINITELY get your cherished reg on retention BEFORE you buy the new car ! Its just too messy otherwise.

If the new car is pre-registered then you will not be able to transfer your cherished reg onto it until you have the V5 showing in your name. This is usually declared as taking 4-8 weeks but in truth it's usually 2. Once you have the V5 you can wander in to your local DVLA and get it changed then and there, providing they offer this service.

Best of Luck

Rich
Old 19 January 2006, 01:36 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you always get the 'old' number back, so that you can just pop the old plates back on.

Pete
Old 19 January 2006, 01:40 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

Pete,

if the old number is still available then yes it should be reallocated, so it's always worth keeping those old plates.
Rich
Old 19 January 2006, 02:36 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

just done this, sold my old car it to a friend so i was able to do a direct transfer, after the sale but was still quite tricky.

that costs £80

for £105 you can put it on retention, and then transfer off it for free (so it only cost £25 more)

in future i will transfer the plates onto retention in advance before i start looking for a new car. soo much easier, and you don't have to rely on finding a friend to sell your car to (sold my last two cars to friends for the benefit of the number plate)- you get much less than private sale i reckon
Old 19 January 2006, 08:48 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ScoobyTal
Spot of advice required please chaps

Changing my car shortly and currently have a private reg which I would like on the new one as quick as posible.

The new car is due March / April but it will be pre registered (so I dont get the log book for a while)

Whats the best way to proceed (cheapest!!) I guess I need to put the reg on retention and get the old number back on the Scoob (current car)

Cheers

Tal
If you're buying from a daler leave it to them. I've always managed to get it into the price of the trade up
Old 19 January 2006, 09:43 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
If you're buying from a daler leave it to them. I've always managed to get it into the price of the trade up
Yep, me too. I ordered a MY06 on Sunday and the £80 transfer fee is included. Just got to go to the dealer with the V5 etc for the car the plate is coming off a week or two before i pick it up and they will sort the rest .

Tony.
Old 20 August 2006, 05:49 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

Sorry to drag this old thread up again (at least I did a search ), but can anyone tell me what the process is now to transfer a private plate to a new (unregistered) car ?
I'm trading in my car (which currently has the plate) and the dealer is doing the transfer, but he tells me it will take 14 working days to transfer my plate
Old 20 August 2006, 06:11 PM
EmEm
Scooby Regular

Hi,

If its any help, I have just put my plate on retention as selling and getting a new car (ummmmm, wonder what I'll get...! )
Anyway. If you can get to the local DVLA in Chelmsford, it speeds up the process massively - from 6-8 weeks by post to 7-10 days in person!!

You pay £105 and that will retain it for one year, and also includes the transfer to new car (within that first year, as once its run out its another £25 per year)

They accept cheques, cash or debit card not credit card...as I found out!!!

Well worth the travel, and it is a bit of a pig to get to... if you come from A12/A130, go over the over pass (if allowed) and at next round about, go back on yourself, and a small slip road (if you can call it that) liturally jumps out at you. Take this road, turn right, pass the DVLA offices, car park in the back.

Hope this helps!!!
Old 21 August 2006, 05:15 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi EmEm
Thanks for the info - I guess if it's going to take a similar length of time, I may as well let the dealer get on with the transfer.

Not sure I'd fancy spending 7-10 days at the Chelmsford DVLA though - not my idea of a holiday

Cheers
Nick
Old 21 August 2006, 06:37 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

The DVLA have recently just changed some of their proceedures, and they have stopped the over the counter service that made swapping a private plate onto a new car so easy. Shame they forgot to let the car dealers know this!

I was due to get my new car last Tuesday and the dealer popped into the local office on the Monday to put my private plate on my old car on retention and get a new reg mark for my old car. It seems that until the garage has a stamped form they cannot accept your vehicle in part X.
The counter staff told him that EVERYTHING is done by post now (even stamping a damn form) and must go via DVLA Swansea.

Thus the forms were sent to Swansea to be stamped and were returned by last Friday, which is'nt too long I guess. I assume the local DVLA will be closed completely in time.

In the past i have transfered my plate to new cars 3 times by visiting the local office with no hassles. NOW, it is alot easier and quicker to put the plate on retention before buying a new car. If you don't mind waiting a few weeks before picking your new car up then it won't be a problem........ I'm not that patient!!!
Old 21 August 2006, 07:34 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

I'm not patient, but guess I'll just have to wait a few weeks.
Agreed - it used to be quite good - I transferred a plate over the counter - ah well that will be progress for you Useless !
Cheers
Nick
Old 21 August 2006, 07:39 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I did mine last friday at dvla nottingham, it was done there and then and took 5 mins. (had to queue for 30 mins though)

james
Old 21 August 2006, 08:33 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
I did mine last friday at dvla nottingham, it was done there and then and took 5 mins. (had to queue for 30 mins though)

james
Thats what I always used to do (usually queing for 2 hours or so tho) at my local Office in Peterborough.

Peterborough office refuses to do this anymore though and says everything must be posted.

Is it just Peterborough that has closed its counter or are they pulling a fast one??

Starting to make me wonder now!!
Old 21 August 2006, 09:31 PM
jimbob6242
Scooby Regular

I sell for a dealership - things will be changing in the near future.

The ~DVLA are in the process of inspecting large dealer groups to ensure they comply to all legislation, if by the end of the year they are satisfied that they can be trusted, they will pass the job direct to the dealer's and the wait will be minimal.

i would always say put them on retention - One final point though what ever the name on the current log book this is what the the retention cert will come back in. WATCH this as if your old car is in you wife's name and your new is going to be in yours you won't be able to assign it to the vehicle. If this is the case you would have to pay another £19.00 to add a nomine and wait for it come back from the DVLA (basically another week)

I hate private plates as they cause chaos and also stop us selling part ex's, (we can't trade them withgout full logbooks) - still have one on mine though!!!

Jim
Old 21 August 2006, 10:55 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys
Looks like we're stuck with it being a pain for now.
Maybe when I come to change my car again in another 3 years if I'm lucky.
Old 22 August 2006, 10:28 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Do you always get the 'old' number back, so that you can just pop the old plates back on.

Pete
I queried this last month and was told by the DVLA that 99% of cases the original plate returns to the car.... BUT my Missus's old car came back with a different plate, and so did my scoob altho the original plate was NON-transferable for some reason... 1% chance..
my dads S-type jag WAS returned tho,