Sponsored by:

who is going to buy the new Impreza?

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2000, 03:08 PM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I know its not the most beautiful car in the world, but its growing on me plus I saw the British car in an official Subaru flyer (sent to Subaru Israel) and it looks better with the 17 inch wheels, and I like the interior as well.
It will arrive at the Israeli market 2 months after it hits the U.K shores so I'll know how it drives as well.
For now I think I'm gonna buy it.
How many ofn you are planning on buying it despite the new shape?
Old 06 September 2000, 03:12 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

Are null responses required?

I'm not buying one. I haven't had this one 12 months yet. Unless a stonking part ex value was put my way, I couldn't get excited.
Old 06 September 2000, 03:41 PM
Orville
Scooby Regular

I think what was said in this weeks Auto Express is correct. They implied that the current models looks have only recently become fashionable and that it was an ugly duckling when first launched. They also say the new model will grow on people and will become a cult car also. There are some parts of the car I like - the Skyline like square wheel arches that will fit wider tyres and even the rear spoiler. The interior will obviosely be an improvement whatever changes are made. I'll probably buy one when they make the 276bhp version available.
Old 06 September 2000, 03:51 PM
JayDee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I bought my current DBM MY00 instead of a BMW because of its performance. I have also to confess that I like the image that comes with it, and I like the service that my dealer provides, although many would argue I paid a lot money for that.

I will be making up my mind about a successor in Jan 02 when the finance on my current car runs out.

At the moment, I don't much like the looks of the new car, and I hear it will be heavier, mostly at the front end, but with the same power. And if it is going to be more expensive!!!

I think the current car is a classic which cannot be replaced, and so I will probably be keeping my current car, buying a second hand P1, STI, or a Boxter, or an M3, or a Prodrive Forester, or an RS4, etc

JD
Old 06 September 2000, 03:58 PM
ShadowNinja
Scooby Newbie

I reckon it looks like a cross between a Corolla (roundish lights at the front) and a Hyundaewoohatsu Coupe (the spoiler/rear end).

As for the current style. It still is ugly, even though it's now more accepted, but I like it's aggressive, rally-bred looks.

-Darren
Old 06 September 2000, 07:35 PM
Carolyn T-S
Scooby Regular

Well I'm not buying one, what have they done to the front of it !! I'll stick with my MY00. The husband did mention yesterday that the new model was growing on him - I suggested there was no way our driveway is having one parked in it and he either keeps his MY00 or moves out !

Bit drastic I know, but it is horrid
Old 06 September 2000, 09:34 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I'm kind of in Evil Chuck mode at the moment, so please forgive me but....
I think we are being a bit arrogant with our cries of yuck and 'I won't buy it' here in blighty, thinking that it may change something. Quite frankly I don't believe Subaru will give a damn! The car is aimed squarely at the US market, which dwarfs ours(the uk's). The extra weight up front was generated by the strengthening done up there to pass US tests, not ours.
The new buyer is going to be a first time Scoob turbo owner, and there are going to be tonnes sold - the cost and performance will guarantee it.
Regards
Chuck
Old 06 September 2000, 10:16 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
still a fugly looking thing though, the USA guys agree too.

The number of people i have spoken to on this and have said its so butt ugly they will not be buying an impreza now (they were going to) is quite scary, IM must be twitching.

Dont FHI have styling customer testing to get an opinion on the way they are going with the design, if they have then they spoke to the wrong people.
Old 07 September 2000, 12:00 AM
Maxwell Straker
Scooby Regular

I am finding this thread quite amusing now. There appears to be a idle threat to buy an EVO rather than the supposed ugly next generation. I find this quite bizarre.

You might describe the current Impreza and EVO as being purposeful looking but neither can be described as being elegant or pleasing to the eye, for this we talk mega bucks - Ferrari and the like. As Clarkson (I think) said the EVO looks like it has crashed into Halfords and all the plastic bits stuck to it.

The purpose behind these cars is performance not looks, their looks are a consequence of its perfomance design not it major selling feature. If the new models performance is not up to scratch then fine ditch it for an EVO but don't buy an EVO because the Impreza is ugly!!!!!!
Old 07 September 2000, 12:21 AM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Maxwell,

Don't completely agree with you.

You don't buy an Impreza just for performance, you could have bought far better (handling / fun etc) car's than the Impreza for that. (Think of Westie Seight / Lotus elise etc). I bought an Impreza for the whole package including practicality / price and looks.

If the new car was stonking then you're right, I'd buy it whatever. But it ain't. It's no different than the current one, exc more expensive. So of it's no better and also (IMO) looks ****, then whats it offering over the competition ?

The Impreza when they cost 17K was a bargain, an ugly impreza at 24K - forget it, it's simply not that good a car (IMO)
Old 07 September 2000, 12:29 AM
brooks
Scooby Regular

I would never buy a completely new car. Let it sell for a couple of years and others find the bugs. When those are ironed out then consider buying one
Old 07 September 2000, 12:30 AM
Colin Berry
Scooby Regular

My answer!
Old 07 September 2000, 12:55 AM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Colin,
keep in mind they tested a pre production car, and it was the Japanese version which wears 16 inch tyres and probably 205,
while the European version is coming wearing 225/45 R17 tyres and wheels, this can make a difference to the grip and steering.
Autocar also didn't like the new engine (and fooloishly compared it to the Evo, the STI due in several months and so told by "Drive" will have more than 280hp is Evo's real rival) but the European car is going to have the current engine with more tourqe.
All I say is wait for the Euro version.
Old 07 September 2000, 04:12 AM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

I think everyone is getting a little too heated about the very pedestrian, if indeed 'ugly', look of this new car.
The Impreza never was a good looking car, at best it was half euro and half japanese bland. Half Vectra and half Corrola.
So now these visually impaired engineers have made it 100% japanese econobox bland, is it really that much worse?
I'll give you the point about the headlights, but I'm sure a crafy UK outfit could create an entirely new front end for this car which could completely replace the bug eyes. For --- sake a UK firm has created an entirely new body for the Impreza already, no doubt a front-end can be done.
I say lets get to work on the visual and technical modifications this potentialy (more rigid and safer w/ same handling) great car needs, so when it comes, sketches will be ready and parts soon to come. Lets get to work!
Old 07 September 2000, 09:33 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

It's really grown on me, but then I do own a wagon, so odd looks are not unusual to me

Would I buy one? Well, if they do an STi Wagon with the Tiptronic box then it would be a big, big YES! well, if I had the cash that is

I would *love* to be one of the first people in the UK to have a new shape Sti, but it aint gonna happen, lack of the folding I'm afraid, unless anyone fancies treating me as a charity and chucking 30 grand my way (hey, it'd have to have some modifications done!)

Old 07 September 2000, 11:20 AM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I don't think the current model is 'ugly' I quite like it in a sort of boring jap box with bits stuck on kinda way.

I can't stand the new model, in fact I can't stand any of the current crop of cars with 'bug eyes' Neons / Corrollas / Mercedes etc etc. I do hope it's a passing fad.

My next car upgrade is more likely to be to an Evo than that butt ugly thing.
Old 07 September 2000, 11:28 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Question

So what news of the homologation (or whatever its called) type approval for the bi-turbo Legacy?

Can we expect it in UK dealers next year? Will it be a viable alternative?
Old 07 September 2000, 06:05 PM
bumcrack
Scooby Regular

Question

Every body keeps banging on about comparing the Impreza and Evo,but the new model Impreza will cost about 8k less than the Evo.
8K is a lot of cash and puts the Evo in a different class and right out of my list of possible cars,its hardly right to compare the two.
You wouldn't compare the new BMW M3(38k ish) with the Evo6(31k) would you?
The only similarity is they are both fast 4WD jap boxes and have rally histroy.
I will still be ordering mine if the few problems mentioned in autocar are sorted out,
which by the way seemed to biased to me.I bet the writer(Koji Fujita) is a Evo fan.
Old 08 September 2000, 12:37 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

I have always liked the look of it, and am sure most of you will when you start to see them around.
As has been said a million times before, it's how the car drives that counts, nothing else. Looks are only important if you bought your Scoob purely for looks. I didn't, so I don't really care how it looks. I never drooled over the looks of the current car and bought it solely as a 'drivers car', although it has obviously grown on me over the years.
Anyone who buys a Scoob because it 'looks nice' is a muppet.

Stef.
Old 08 September 2000, 09:19 AM
nipple
Scooby Newbie

Red face

Had to laugh at the "bigger turbo fitted to improve drivability" comment.

Seems Autocar's technical content is now officially ****.
Old 08 September 2000, 01:08 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

nipple - great name! (LOL)

muppet
Old 08 September 2000, 01:20 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm going to wait until I see it in the 'flesh'. Only then can I really pass a judgement on it, because as it is, thanks but no thanks.

I think I bought my Impreza 70% for ability and 30% looks.

blubs

ps Stef, does this mean I'm just a bit of a muppet ?

Old 08 September 2000, 01:22 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

I love the current Imprezas puposeful look. YOU can't tell ME that I don't find it good looking. - granted I would prefer a DB7 !

Muppet2
Old 08 September 2000, 01:26 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Wink

blubs,
Isn't that how your wife chose you?

Geezer