Sponsored by:

Time to move on...goodbye, Scoob.

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2000, 03:58 PM
Zip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Well folks, today was the day that I handed the keys to my WRX to someone else, and picked up the keys to my next trusty steed - a Saab 9000 Aero. Don't all laugh at once...

It does 35mpg on normal unleaded, and costs half as much to insure, and, heaven forbid, this is the main reason why I have down/upgraded (depending upon your opinion).

And it still has 230bhp. But, and a big but, the other main reason was I GOT BORED WITH MY SCOOB!!! And I have driven hard and fast for nearly two years. We haven't had a "the novelty's warn off" thread for quite a while, so I thought I'd start one. I'm not saying I will never own one again, but when the smiles-per-pound dipped below "break even", I knew it was time to move on, and besides, I have never owned a car for more than 2 years.

Another debate we have often had on this BBS is "what to own next". Well, my advice is own something COMPLETELY different (hence Saab Aero) that won't encourage you to make false comparisons with the Scoob.

I am not going to explain myself any further, so start the backlash now, and I will have my answers ready.

Who else out there has got bored??!!

Despite no longer being a Scoob owner, I shall stay in touch. (and if anyone has a STiV for sale at above £12k winter next year, drop me a line - it could happen.......)
Ta da for now,
Zip
Old 01 September 2000, 04:19 PM
PhilBennett
Scooby Regular

35mpg is a good point. Doing loads of miles in the 20mpg range and filling with Super can't be fun for very long.
Old 01 September 2000, 04:26 PM
Denz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

"Ill drive it on the beaches"
" ill drive it in the streets "
" the scooby will never surrender"

rule the scooby, the scooby rules the streeets, blah blah blah................
(to the tune of rule britania)

Your getting old!

Old 01 September 2000, 04:34 PM
Zip
Scooby Regular

Red face

Old! Thanks mate - I'm <30! I said I'm BORED with it - the novelty has worn off.

I.E. IN AN IDEAL WORLD WHERE MONEY WAS NO OBJECT, I WOULD WANT MORE SPEED!

The very first time I drove a Scoob (a fully decatted STi)I nearly shat myself. I took my dad out, and we couldn't stop laughing once we got out - it was mind blowing.

2 years later, and it is no longer mind blowing. I've driven a Diablo SV (a month ago), and that restored my faith in the fun factor again (plus that noise...), but frankly, the Scoob doesn't do it for me anymore.

Ta,
a young Zip
Old 01 September 2000, 04:52 PM
Colin Berry
Scooby Regular

I have never had a car for more than 6 months until now. I've now had the scoobie 2 years on the 11th Sept and the fun factor remains purely because I only drive it weekends.
I drove a Saab Viggen once last year and nearly lost it as it torque steered all over the road
Old 01 September 2000, 04:56 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

Just to provide some balance... I picked up my x-plater this morning.

The smile hasn't left my face yet

Old 01 September 2000, 05:08 PM
Zip
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Colin,
I wish I had the weekend-only luxury again(which I had about 18 months ago). Now, unfortunately, I spend most time on the M25, and in terms of cabin quality, I know which car I'd rather be in in a traffic jam.

I discovered the joys of torque steer some years ago, and the Aero is not fun on a wet roundabout (found that out this morning), and will wheelspin most gears (no TC).
Z
Old 01 September 2000, 07:01 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

Cool

Surely,you'll be back in a Scooby for a fix soon......it just takes a little time before you have to hear the beat of the opposed four pots followed by the whail and whosh of the turbo and waste gate....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Zip:
<B>Well folks, today was the day that I handed the keys to my WRX to someone else, and picked up the keys to my next trusty steed - a Saab 9000 Aero. Don't all laugh at once...

It does 35mpg on normal unleaded, and costs half as much to insure, and, heaven forbid, this is the main reason why I have down/upgraded (depending upon your opinion).

And it still has 230bhp. But, and a big but, the other main reason was I GOT BORED WITH MY SCOOB!!! And I have driven hard and fast for nearly two years. We haven't had a "the novelty's warn off" thread for quite a while, so I thought I'd start one. I'm not saying I will never own one again, but when the smiles-per-pound dipped below "break even", I knew it was time to move on, and besides, I have never owned a car for more than 2 years.

Another debate we have often had on this BBS is "what to own next". Well, my advice is own something COMPLETELY different (hence Saab Aero) that won't encourage you to make false comparisons with the Scoob.

I am not going to explain myself any further, so start the backlash now, and I will have my answers ready.

Who else out there has got bored??!!

Despite no longer being a Scoob owner, I shall stay in touch. (and if anyone has a STiV for sale at above £12k winter next year, drop me a line - it could happen.......)
Ta da for now,
Zip[/quote]

Old 01 September 2000, 09:54 PM
Chunky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Zip,
I can understand what you are saying, I have been thinking along the same lines recently. I am on my second scooby and am starting too feel like a change.I had this feeling after about 12 months of owning my first scooby and went for a big old Landcruiser.I reckoned that without the temptation, I would drive more sedately and not drive like a hoon. After 18 months with the LandBruiser,I missed the scoob really badly and went for another. But the time is coming again to think of a change. The Saab aero is a cracking motor,talk about a luxury missile. Nobody take the p*** but I am thinking of going the turbo diesel route. I reckon losing some oompth but returning mpg figures of 40 to 60 mpg can only be good. I do a fair mileage and everytime I go out in the scoob I seem to be filling her up. The Audi and beemer diesels are pretty lively, so are some of the vee dubs.
I'll probably come to my senses and stick with the scooby, but I know exactly what you are saying.

Chunky
Old 01 September 2000, 10:11 PM
MatthewR
Scooby Regular

Cool

Those who get bored with their Scoobs,

Are you running stock as a rock standard cars, or have you modded them?

Sometimes I find myself wondering if I'd be having more fun in something else, but tend to mod the Scoob at that time and find myself having more fun again. Cheaper than changing cars too!

Matthew

Old 01 September 2000, 11:10 PM
Andy E
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

Over five years ago I owned a UK Turbo. Then, 12 months later, when thought I was starting to get restless, I came over all grown up and sensible. I found myself trading the scoob in for a highly respected turbo-diesel Rover 220SDi. I tried to convince myself it was the perfect balance of practicality, fairly advanced engineering, and decent performance.

It wasn't long before the enormity of what I had done started to sink in.

Another 12 months later, as if to vanquish a terrible wrong, I was driving an M3 saloon.

Two years later, but not before a couple more restless diversions (Volvo V70R and Integra R), I am back in a Scoob (P1)..

...at 32 years old and with 4 kids. Its the best car, by far, I have ever owned.

The moral is: don't grow up and never let your head interfere with the sound reasoning of your heart.

Andy

[This message has been edited by Andy E (edited 01 September 2000).]
Old 02 September 2000, 12:14 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Thumbs up for Scoobs!

If you drive your Scoob hard ~ 20 mpg 10,000 miles costs approx £1900

If you drive your boring car moderately :sad: 10,000 miles costs approx £1100

£800 for a year of FUN

Mick - Having Fun!
Old 02 September 2000, 12:32 AM
bigmalc
Scooby Regular

Talking

Zip - I can sympathise with you!
I got tired with the 'boyracer' tag and decided that luxuries like cruise and climate control were worth upgrading for. Now the owner of a blue 3000GT
(Catalunya now appreciating on the drive!)
Not sure I'd go the whole hog and get a Saab though!
Cheers
Malcolm
Old 02 September 2000, 08:05 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cool

No way will I be discarding my WRX - unless external forces so dictate.
To rekindle your love of this car just upgrade - down pipes , inlet pipes , ECU's,
bigger turbos , bigger brakes ,suspension mods , there really is an infinite number of combinations.
And as for using MPG as reason for discarding the legend - who's worried?
Chunky are you serious about a diesel ?
c'mon guys pull yourself together!!!!!!!
Old 02 September 2000, 09:11 AM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

Cool

2 years down the line in my un-modded (made up word?) MY98 and I'm still happy, it can still bring a smile to my face. For how long though, I don't know.

I did move onto the Scoob when my Corrado VR6 had lost my interest.

Guess I'll need to be looking round town for your new motor then Zip, not that I know if I ever saw you in the Scoob anyways.

PFF
Old 02 September 2000, 09:26 AM
Paul.G
Scooby Regular

Things must be bad.. selling the Scoob.
I know the petrol drinking problem can get exspensive. So I bought a cheep economical car just for going to work and as a workhorse(a Nova SR, dont laugh to hard please). This keeps the miles of my WRX, saves petrol and boy do you look forward to the weekends when you just have to go for a spin.
Good luck with the SAAB, (How long will it be before you are scouring the adds again for another Scoob... Bets anyone)

Paul.G
Old 04 September 2000, 12:41 AM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well after 1.5 months, and 3500 miles, I have to admit driving it around London is a pain, and I don't smile every mile. So, should I sell the scoob? No way matey, I'd rather move - I ain't ever goin' back, I choose to cruise, gonna live my life sharp as a knife, I've found my groove and I just can't lose (sorry )
Old 04 September 2000, 12:56 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Zip, I disagree with your, 'if they see you in their mirror, they get out of the way' saab comment.

I found that driving a saab made you invisible in a way that a scoob never could. Nobody ever gave my 900SE turbo a second glance, even when pristinely shiny on the day I bought it. Even the police sat on the side of the road eyeing up the passing cars used to miss me out.

Unless you pay a visit to abbott racing, they're pants handling cars too.
Old 04 September 2000, 09:59 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Zip - Have just got rid of my scoob as well. I don't think I was bored with it. But I was peeved at the amount of money it was costing me - 30,000 miles in the last year alone at around 22mpg ! It's now been replaced with an Astra CDX.

But, and I've said this before, now that its gone I hanker after my old 205 GTi more than the scoob. I've also seen a 205 T16 for sale for around £20,000 - now that is what I call a weekend car

James
Old 04 September 2000, 10:23 AM
Colin Berry
Scooby Regular

Zip, good luck with your Saab. I think there is no contest with regards to build quality. If the new Scoob addresses the quality issue then just perhaps, its looks might be forgiven.
My next car will be a Boxster but not for a couple of years. By that time my Scoob will have done an almighty 30,000 miles
Old 04 September 2000, 10:33 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

I went from a P reg SAAB 900 turbo to my current scoob.

I might get bored with the scoob, but the next car won't be a saab.
Old 04 September 2000, 11:22 AM
g4vln
Scooby Regular

Cool

Can you buy a 7 seater with 280bhp, if not, the wife keeps people carrier for the family and I'm smiling in my scoobie. How ever if someone knows of a car that handles as well, accelarates as quick, put a smile on any occupants face, which a low milage, excellent condition example can be picked up for under £20000, LET ME KNOW? YOU JUST CAN'T BEAT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04 September 2000, 11:57 AM
Zip
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

PFF,
it's black - I'll be around. Are you green with gold wheels....?

Nice to see my post got some reaction.

I know a guy who has run a prodrived '94 for 4 years (the last of only 12 conversions done that year) who is planning on selling. He needs a change too - for a variety of reasons including just "fancying a change". Not least, his commute equates to £100+ a week on petrol. A car would have to put a seriously indelibly enormous smile on my face for £450 a month of my hard earned wonga. And the Scoob did, but doesn't anymore. We are all different. Maybe I just have an exceptionally low boredom threshold. I did 150miles in the Saab yesterday, and I am very chuffed with it indeed - especially with all the pretty coloured lights on the dash(!) And just as in the Scoob, if they see you in their mirror, they get out of the way. I love it already. Give it a couple of years, and I'll move on again, no doubt.

Z
Old 04 September 2000, 01:22 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Red face

I borrowed a P reg Saab 900 for a few months earlier this year and as far as I am concerned Saab = wafty old barge. Admitedly it wasn't a turbo so they might be brilliant but I somehow doubt it. Also when I took the Saab for it's service (at a certain Saab/Lotus/Subaru dealer hence how I "accidentally" bought the scooby) all the people in the Saab showroom were over 40 which can only mean it's an old mans car.

Triggaar - I'm style from head to toe, Cool cat flash gonna let you know, I'm a soul boy - I'm a dole boy - Take pleasure in leisure, I believe in joy!
Old 04 September 2000, 01:34 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Oh dear, I posted between 2 very bad rappers.

Do the fronts of your scoobs jump up and down at the flick of a button?
Old 04 September 2000, 05:58 PM
Zip
Scooby Regular

Talking

Christ - what was all that about???

I said in my first post that the problem with these sort of posts is that nobody compares like with like. Do you really think I bought a 1500kg Saab 9000 for its handling prowess!!!!?????? It actually handles extremely well (and even better once I have fitted the Abbott bushes) FOR A 1500kg FRONT WHEEL DRIVE CAR THAT IT IS.

And that's my point. It's different, and that's what it's about - something fresh to enjoy, 'til I get bored once more.

As I suggested, each to his own.
Z
Old 05 September 2000, 09:07 AM
jmckenna
Scooby Newbie

I also left the Scooby experience behind me recently and bought a '97 Boxster. My reasons? I drive a short distance every day through busy traffic and the chances to let the Scoob rip were few and far between. And since I spent a lot of time in traffic, the cabin is more important - the Scooby interior (even the MY99 upgraded one of my Scoob) is, to be frank, sub Corolla in ambience. Also, the Boxster is just as nice to drive as the (standard) Scoob on the odd occasion where a lively drive is possible and doesn't even feel as if it is much less powerful than the standard Scoob. This may be illusory, but that's the impression made on me. I really enjoyed the Scooby, but it just began to annoy me a bit. I had lusted after it for years, but when I bought it, after a few months, I just couldn't remember why. I may go back (and if I could persuade my wife to get one as the family car, that would be ideal), but I rather like driving a convertible and the luxury interior of the Boxster, so not just yet. I believe Subaru are to build a coupe on the new Impreza floorpan and drivetrain - if they subcontract out the styling to Pininfarina, count me in!
Old 05 September 2000, 09:34 AM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Wink

JMcKenna,

Isn't what you require called a Delphino???

Jamie