ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

cibies

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2000, 08:30 PM
jon s
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

does anybody know whether ss use the sport or drive versions and are they any good.

thanks jon
Old 10 May 2000, 09:19 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

Haven't got a clue which lenses they use and I can't be arsed to walk outside and have a look but they are good now the bulbs are more reliable.
Old 10 May 2000, 09:25 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

They are driving light lenses, and are very good, i have had them fro nearly 2 years on 2 different cars and couldnt live without them.
Old 11 May 2000, 01:07 AM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Jon,

They are very good. As Ian says they are the driving light lense which gives a good lateral spread of light as well as approx 400m range. Enough to see your braking distance from illegal speeds on back roads.

DaveW
Old 11 May 2000, 01:16 PM
jon s
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the replies,but just like to clear a couple of things up.

ian do you mean the drive model as opposed to the sport one,. or the driving lights as opposed to the fogs,

dave, according to my ripspeed cat the drive version has a 260 m beam and the sport a 460 m,so question is do you have the sport version of the driving lights and is this what ss supply as a 260 metre beam doesn't seem that far to me.

thanks jon

Old 11 May 2000, 01:37 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

I thought they only did fog, SPOT and driving light lenses, the spots give a really long beam, but its very narrow, the drives give a wide spread of light thats not as long as the spots, but illuminates a lot of road, and the fogs are basically not worth the materials they are made out of
Old 12 May 2000, 01:14 PM
paul w
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

jon,
i am currently fabricating some brackets for a cibie conversion,if i am succesfull and they look professional i may sell some,will email you with a price they will be less than £140 though, this will include every thing and fitting if required.

paul
Old 12 May 2000, 01:24 PM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Had my CIBIE OSCAR SC's for 3 months now.Ive got the lamps the bulbs the electrics and the brackets .Only thing i haven't got is a clue how to fit them, the wiring instructions look as though they should be painted on a wall inside a pyramid.

Thus they are still in the boxes under the stairs (top £300 well spent).

....Ian
Old 12 May 2000, 01:37 PM
paul w
Scooby Regular

ian,
have you got the spots- narrow long range or the driving-shorter well spread out lights,are130w bulbs road legal?
Old 15 May 2000, 11:07 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Smile

The Scoobysport conversion uses the Cibie Driving light (i.e. Wide beam ) I have considered changing this to the Spot (Long Narrow beam) on mine but haven't so far because of the mounting. I have found in the past that true Spots neeed quite accurate adjustment to be really useful otherwise you end up with a perfect circle of tree being illuminated 10 ft of the road.... The Scoobysport conversion uses a solid bracket to mount to the bumper - any adjustment requires shimming the bracket with washers or the like between bracket and car. This is fine for the driving lights as fine adjustment is not so crucial, but for the spots getting the right adjustment would be quite fiddly.. The upside is that they do not suffer from Droop like pendant mounted lights e.g. PIAA

Ideally I would like Spots and driving on the car because for a lot of the lanes around me the driving light spread is perfect allowing you to see round corners, however on the longer straights they do die away quite significantly. Having had spots on a previous car I do miss the long range. Perhaps I should have four Cibies on a bull bar Hmmm Maybe not!

Regards

Old 15 May 2000, 12:24 PM
I Stancer
Scooby Regular

130 watt bulbs are not legal on the road , it has never stopped anybody using them though; just make damnd sure your wire ,relays and fuse is up to spec , never Scoch-blok of the standard wires without using a relay especialy with BIG bulbs there are only three results darkness , smoke ,or fire!!!!!
Ian
Old 15 May 2000, 10:44 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

The Scoobysport Cibié lamps are very good indeed. The first time you flick them on on a dark stretch of road will leave you wondering how you ever managed to see where you were going before! The increase in safety margin they provide is massive, allowing safe progress in the dark at significantly increased speed.

All of this of course is dependant on them working! I am one of the few (or many - depending on your point of view) who have suffered from bulb life problems. My first pair of 130w bulbs lasted just 6 days. Scoobysport do supply free replacement bulbs for the first 12 months of ownership though!

Changing the bulbs can be a very fiddly task though, pretty much requiring the units to be removed from the car and disassembled in order for it to be done properly. I spent two hours tonight doing just that, mainly because the screws holding the units together had rusted into place and then disintegrated as soon as I pointed a screwdriver at them ...

They were pretty easy to fit taking 1.5 hours - which included a trial run with the wiring, which I then ripped out and re-reouted. The instruction sheet is very good (maybe you got a different set of instructions Ian - might be worth checking?) taking you carefully through every step and pitfall.

Having said all that, I don't regret buying them. They've opened up a whole new world of night-time driving.

A.

Old 16 May 2000, 12:05 AM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Question

You say electrical fire if bulbs are too powerful and wiring isn't up to it.

Do the SS CIBIE's with the wiring loom provided have any chance of this fire / smoke thing happening with 130 watt bulbs???

Im trying to gage whether my scoobie mania kit with provided loom and 130 w bulbs is going to set my car on fire once installed.

...Ian