Notices

Savin $$ on Cibie lights

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 1998, 11:34 PM
Jon
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone looked at buyin cibie (or other) drivin lights not in kit form. The kits being sold in Australia are over $400, but lights better than those used in the kit are available from other retailers for only $100 each. And there sure as heck is not 200 bucks of value in a relay and some bits of wire.

The only prob. I've thought of is how to mount the new lights without having to build new mounting brackets. Surely there must be a really good cibie or PIAA lense and reflector that will fit into the original holders.

If you know of an inexpensive solution to this problem it could be of use to others like me, who have excellent taste in cars but not an excessive amount of dosh.
Old 07 December 1998, 01:28 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Any standard 185mm driving light, as bought in a motor accessories shop, will not fit the fog lamp void in your Impreza without extensive modification. Once you have bought the lamps, bulbs, wiring, connectors, relay and welded up some brackets, you can then start reeming out the first holes you drilled, to get the fit/alignment right (large dollops of mastic will hide your first attempts). The job can easily be done in a weekend and will save you about £35.

Alternatively, you may consider this to be the cheapest hourly rate you will have ever worked for, since leaving school and decide to buy a professionally made kit ;-)
Old 08 December 1998, 07:36 AM
Jon
Scooby Newbie

Yeah point taken about modifications. But you must conceed that $400 for the local kits, or $500 + postage for your kit, is a lot of money considering good lights such as the cibie super oscar are way less than half the cost of the kit. Oh yeah plus 20 bucks for relays and wire!!!

I am not trying to detract from your product as I know it would be the simplest way to go. I just wanted to point out the huge difference in price between lights sold in a kit an the lights bought alone. And obviously no-one else has grappled with this problem but me

So fear not Peter your patent product is safe for now! BTW thanks for responding to my mail, something always happens when you talk to the boss!!

Jon

PS: I havn't given up and I will let you know when I find an easy work around!!
Old 08 December 1998, 08:19 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

Ive got a set of ScoobySport lights on my car and they are the best investment that I have made. I myself have also looked at building new spot lights, but have to admit that for the price and hassle free point of view I decided to go to Uncle Pete

ScoobySport arent out to make mega bucks of us Impreza owners, but they do have to make a living. Their kit is some of the best around, and the number of Cibies on Scoobies is testimony to this.
Old 08 December 1998, 05:25 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys
Old 08 December 1998, 06:52 PM
abetts
Scooby Regular

This may be a dumb question but would I be right in assuming that driving lights have to be dipped in the face of on-coming traffic? Are they wired in to the high beam? The reason I ask is because where I live the traffic density is such that there is almost always on-coming traffic. I can barely remember the last time I got to use high beam for more than about five seconds. If driving lights would have to be dipped they would be somewhat pointless in my case. What I need is more effective dip beam illumination.
Old 08 December 1998, 09:57 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you got Xenon bulbs in ?
Old 08 December 1998, 11:28 PM
abetts
Scooby Regular

No Xenon bulbs as yet. Most of the messages I have seen on the BBS have been fairly luke warm about the improvement they offer. At only around £20 the pair I guess I should give them a try.
Old 09 December 1998, 05:55 AM
Jon
Scooby Newbie

I have found for oncomin traffic just the standard 50w fog lights provide good light immediately in front of the car and to the side of the road away from oncoming traffic. They may need slight adjustment - mine did.

jon
Old 09 December 1998, 07:51 AM
nigel
Scooby Regular

Using fog lamps when the visibility is not extremely bad is illegal, and one of my pet hates. Dont become a "Renault 5 turbo owner etc" and turn those fog lamps off!!
Old 09 December 1998, 09:03 AM
rupertu
Scooby Regular

Yes, I would concur that having the fogs on does improve vision immediately in front of the car - however, the boys in blue take a very dim (sorry!)view of it. I have been stopped before now by them too for this. Anyway far be it too that Nigel should think we are R5 GT Turbo drivers !!

[This message has been edited by rupertu (edited 09 December 1998).]
Old 10 December 1998, 06:37 AM
Jon
Scooby Newbie

Sorry I forgot I am probably the only one in this discussion from Australia. I think it is illegal here too but I have never been hassled for having them on.

From a safety point of view - if they are adjusted right - what is the problem with using them?? It gives the driver better visibility without glaring other drivers so ... ?? Especially if you are using a yellow lense - they have a minimal effect on night vision.

The fact that my state has unlimited speed zones helps when it comes to being stopped at night. Can you imagine a ford or holden being able to stop turn around and then catch me when cruising at 180km/hr (110mph)plus?? hehehe!! Unfortunately the boys in blue over here have become sick of watching tail disappear into the distance an are now starting to use WRX's. (Sorry that was a bit off the topic)

Jon
Old 10 December 1998, 10:50 PM
steve
Scooby Newbie

I was going to get the Scoobysport kit (may still do) but as above spend little time on full beam. have just fitted tonight PIAA Plasma Blue H4s which produce 130/115w but draw 80w.Cost c£70!First impressions a very different light, very blue, but picks up white lines, cats eyes, road signs 10 times better than the standard. Once you get used to the different characteristics it is a far better light. For comparison in terms of brightness I would say they make the fogs seem as 'bright' as the sidelights if that makes sense
Old 17 December 1998, 10:35 PM
steve
Scooby Newbie

Despite what I said above I have now had a rethink.
Having bought the PIAA Plasma blues 80/80w I decided I couldn't live with them.Fine for illuminating road signs 'miles' away but not much use for illuminating dark objects(e.g hedges) blue on black = not a good idea. These were exchanged for PIAA Super Whites (Ref BC2) 80/80w producing 135/115w. What a contrast! I can still illuminate signs etc 'miles' away on full beam but on dip get an extremely bright white light that is just 'brilliant' no pun intended. An excellant light on dip is what I was looking for as I am rarely on full beam (A2/M25/M20+Central London most of the time)If my nocturnal driving habits change then I will adding the Cibies as well.
The only drawback was the cost £47.91 +VAT EACH still it is Christmas and our bonuses are paid tomorrow.
Old 17 December 1998, 11:39 PM
abetts
Scooby Regular

Er, what's a bonus?
Old 30 December 1998, 06:19 PM
mikep
Scooby Newbie

Regarding the PIAA lights that Steve mentions, are these a replacement for the standard headlights or a replacement for the fog lights?

Also, where do you get them from???

Mike...
Old 31 December 1998, 09:39 PM
steve
Scooby Newbie

These are replacement headlamp bulbs (H4). I got them from Graham Goode racing but a little birdy tells me that ScoobySport may be getting some soon.
having now done 2k miles since getting them I am very pleased with them.