Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

How much will a turbo replacement cost me? 2010 Wrx?

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2023, 12:33 PM
djpauloakley
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How much will a turbo replacement cost me? 2010 Wrx?

Was driving home last night and started hearing strange noises from the turbo I.e long diesel style whistles and random now and again what sounded like induction suction although we still run the standard airbox, loss of power so I slowed right down and crawled home, on inspection under the bonnet today there is a rattle sound inside the turbo when the revs are coming down, so we are guessing there is a bent turbo blade catching the housing. How much around could I expect to pay to get this sorted?
Old 09 May 2023, 05:42 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 753 Likes on 624 Posts

Subaru Part number is 114411AA710 superceded by 114411AA7109L
MHI TD04L with suitable compresser houseing for the Hatch WRX flanged intercooler setup.

Having it rebuilt could cost in the region of £250-300 depending upon what needs replacing plus taking off and refitting to the car.
As an example
https://www.turborebuild.co.uk/reconditioned-turbo

Old 10 May 2023, 10:18 AM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Try central turbo at derby,craig and his dad did mine ok.
Old 10 May 2023, 10:40 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 198 Likes on 173 Posts

or fastline turbos Northampton
Old 10 May 2023, 01:25 PM
djpauloakley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Subaru Part number is 114411AA710 superceded by 114411AA7109L
MHI TD04L with suitable compresser houseing for the Hatch WRX flanged intercooler setup.

Having it rebuilt could cost in the region of £250-300 depending upon what needs replacing plus taking off and refitting to the car.
As an example
https://www.turborebuild.co.uk/reconditioned-turbo
Thanks, what is the difference between Td04 and Td04L and which 1 is standard on my car? Its a 2.5 wrx hatchback 2010
Old 10 May 2023, 01:26 PM
djpauloakley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johned
Try central turbo at derby,craig and his dad did mine ok.
Thanks, I'm based in black country so will be getting it done locally to avoid the tow
Old 10 May 2023, 01:27 PM
djpauloakley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006
or fastline turbos Northampton
thanks mate, looking to have it done more local to West midlands to avoid the tow
Old 10 May 2023, 04:02 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djpauloakley
Thanks, what is the difference between Td04 and Td04L and which 1 is standard on my car? Its a 2.5 wrx hatchback 2010
The turbo info supplied is relevant to your vehicle.

The difference between TD04 and TD04L is the difference in size of the "Exducer" of the compressor wheel and the trim.

Do not forget the WRX Hatch has a different inlet manifold layout to previous imprezas and has a flanged compressor outlet.

Blown up section of above turbo details

Old 10 May 2023, 04:21 PM
djpauloakley
Scooby Regular

The turbo info supplied is relevant to your vehicle.

The difference between TD04 and TD04L is the difference in size of the "Exducer" of the compressor wheel and the trim.

Do not forget the WRX Hatch has a different inlet manifold layout to previous imprezas and has a flanged compressor outlet.

Blown up section of above turbo details

thanks again for the information, but I'm confused, is it a td04L I need?
looked at both and there's 200 quid in the difference
Old 10 May 2023, 05:27 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

What's confusing???

For example
https://turbo-diesel.co.uk/product/t...k3s60-new-mhi/

Last edited by Don Clark; 10 May 2023 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10 May 2023, 07:34 PM
djpauloakley
Scooby Regular

sorry mate, guy at the garage that will be swapping it over has told me I need this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393573715...mis&media=COPY
Old 10 May 2023, 07:35 PM
djpauloakley
Scooby Regular

sorry mate, guy at the garage that will be swapping it over has told me I need this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393573715...mis&media=COPY
but I think maybe I need this for our car https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394601776...mis&media=COPY
Old 10 May 2023, 09:24 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

sorry mate, guy at the garage that will be swapping it over has told me I need this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393573715...mis&media=COPY, but I think maybe I need this for our car https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394601776...mis&media=COPY

If you READ the "Item Specification" section at the bottom of the web pages they are both listed as TD04DL 's for both items......

and

Each to their own but personally, I'd get the original OEM item repaired/refurbished rather than fitting cheap Chinese replacements.
Good luck with your purchase.

Last edited by Don Clark; 10 May 2023 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11 May 2023, 08:57 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 641 Likes on 467 Posts

Max pedo rods......disaster waiting to happen. I think you're confusing convienience, ie going local, with doing the job properly, ie using a oem turbo or a recognised rebuilder.
There are loads of these turbos sitting on shelves second hand. Buy one, get it rebuilt by Craig or Fastline, then swap it in.
Old 11 May 2023, 03:42 PM
djpauloakley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Max pedo rods......disaster waiting to happen. I think you're confusing convienience, ie going local, with doing the job properly, ie using a oem turbo or a recognised rebuilder.
There are loads of these turbos sitting on shelves second hand. Buy one, get it rebuilt by Craig or Fastline, then swap it in.
Thanks you're 100 percent correct and I'm having the existing 1 reconditioned
Old 11 May 2023, 03:43 PM
djpauloakley
Scooby Regular

If you READ the "Item Specification" section at the bottom of the web pages they are both listed as TD04DL 's for both items......

and

Each to their own but personally, I'd get the original OEM item repaired/refurbished rather than fitting cheap Chinese replacements.
You're right mate and yes I'm going to have the existing 1 repaired
Old 13 May 2023, 08:53 AM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

ive got a vf43 turbo on my hatch wrx which uses the vf52 housing because of the inlet manifold layout being different to the sti. mine produces nearly 350, but i am fully forged, because the headgasket went on mine. if you are gonna upgrade the turbo id switch the radiator aswell because the standard rad is awful. mine was built by craig belworthy. have it done properly otherwise it could lead to some real problems.

Last edited by Matty81; 13 May 2023 at 09:03 AM.
Old 13 May 2023, 12:31 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Sorry to pop up. Usually I'd totally agree with this, recently I've had a right headache with refurbished "OEM" Turbos. Admittedly on VAG PD diesels with Garret GT17 VNTs, which can be fussy, but being so common you'd think professional UK based rebuilders would get them right!

Nope. Original unit, seized/sticky VNT due to bonnet/scuttle seal allowing rain to fall on top of turbo - bad luck sh*t happens.

Replacement Turbo (2): recon exchange supplied by GSF motor factors branded as "Recoturbo" which are supposed to be a good UK based supplier. Genuine Garret casting, looks ok visually identical to factory turbo. However, laggy; VNT badly setup, blew turbine oil seal and dump 2 litres of oil into the exhaust on a 1 mile road test; The half mile it took to realise the smoke out the back was more than just machine oil burning off and turn around (engine oil was changed during turbo swap, so knew how much it lost).

Turbo number 3. Another recon exchange. Again genuine Garret casting etc. Bit less laggy off the mark, but then spooled and surged like the clappers. But just below the max boost threshold so no limp mode/overboost code etc. So again wrong VNT calibration. Turbo audibly over-speeding, which on extended road test (to see if zi could get ECU to adapt to new VNT) progressively got louder as core probably didn't like the overspeed and probably nicked a blade on the housing. Lots of black smoke on spool up. MOT emissions fail on smoke tester as ECU was getting confused by airflow/boost readings caused by the bad VNT creating too much back pressure (high boost, low airflow etc).

Turbo 4: F*ck it. Getting desperate as was driving it to Spain the following week. Fitted a Chinesium totally brand new unit. Branded as 'Turbofit' that came from Alliance Automotive (Alledged to be via BTN in Bristol - same contact details on box) so they may use these cores in recon turbos). Clearly copied castings, so not OEM. However so far so good. VNT calibration spot on, quiet, no lag, no surge, no smoke. Bit boring as it doesn't kick like a mule like the last turbo, but it's not supposed to kick LOL. Cheaper too!

Ok, it'll probably blow up next week, but it managed better than the others so far. On the bright side I can probably do a turbo swap on a 16v PD in less than 30mins whilst blindfolded. 😂

So for me I'd be avoiding motor factor supplied (or pretty much any) reconditioned unit. As I suspect they are just cleaning up the housing, throwing in random quality cores, brief test and then sending it in hope it'll be OK. Exception is BTN (which I know are good but couldn't get delivered in time).

But sometimes the Chinesium comes up trumps if it's from a reputable supplier (i.e not via eBay drop-shippers and bedroom traders etc). With the amount of iffy CHRAs floating about with rebuilders pushing quantity/cost over quality. Outright totally new (so long as it's not counterfeit) or well reputed supplier is the way to go.

Last edited by ALi-B; 13 May 2023 at 01:15 PM.
Old 18 May 2023, 09:31 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Are td04l’s newage on or did any classics have them? Reason being have been offered a td04l that has been refurbished but not fitted to the car as it’s been sold. Car was a classic uk2000 so not sure if it fits a newage.
The chap is a mechanic and his neighbour is a turbo refurbishing company, has had several turbos from him that all performed as they should.

edit: regarding Chinese quality, the only experience I’ve had so far is with a set of billet aluminium adjustable brake and clutch levers that cost me £17 for my motorcycle. Only problem was the anodising on them turned from black to gold but as my forks are gold it didn’t bother me. The other option was paying £80 for a set from a known brand in this country for basically the same thing. One of these sets had issues, as a few owners that had fitted them were thrown over the handlebars when the brake lever somehow managed to slam the front brakes on and it wasn’t the cheap Chinese set!

Last edited by WRXrowdy; 18 May 2023 at 09:43 PM.
Old 26 May 2023, 09:32 PM
djpauloakley
Scooby Regular

Had a update on the repair, the main bolt inside the turbo had came off, can't be found anywhere so hoping it passed through the exhaust system
Old 27 May 2023, 04:36 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Sorry to pop up. Usually I'd totally agree with this, recently I've had a right headache with refurbished "OEM" Turbos. Admittedly on VAG PD diesels with Garret GT17 VNTs, which can be fussy, but being so common you'd think professional UK based rebuilders would get them right!

Nope. Original unit, seized/sticky VNT due to bonnet/scuttle seal allowing rain to fall on top of turbo - bad luck sh*t happens.

Replacement Turbo (2): recon exchange supplied by GSF motor factors branded as "Recoturbo" which are supposed to be a good UK based supplier. Genuine Garret casting, looks ok visually identical to factory turbo. However, laggy; VNT badly setup, blew turbine oil seal and dump 2 litres of oil into the exhaust on a 1 mile road test; The half mile it took to realise the smoke out the back was more than just machine oil burning off and turn around (engine oil was changed during turbo swap, so knew how much it lost).

Turbo number 3. Another recon exchange. Again genuine Garret casting etc. Bit less laggy off the mark, but then spooled and surged like the clappers. But just below the max boost threshold so no limp mode/overboost code etc. So again wrong VNT calibration. Turbo audibly over-speeding, which on extended road test (to see if zi could get ECU to adapt to new VNT) progressively got louder as core probably didn't like the overspeed and probably nicked a blade on the housing. Lots of black smoke on spool up. MOT emissions fail on smoke tester as ECU was getting confused by airflow/boost readings caused by the bad VNT creating too much back pressure (high boost, low airflow etc).

Turbo 4: F*ck it. Getting desperate as was driving it to Spain the following week. Fitted a Chinesium totally brand new unit. Branded as 'Turbofit' that came from Alliance Automotive (Alledged to be via BTN in Bristol - same contact details on box) so they may use these cores in recon turbos). Clearly copied castings, so not OEM. However so far so good. VNT calibration spot on, quiet, no lag, no surge, no smoke. Bit boring as it doesn't kick like a mule like the last turbo, but it's not supposed to kick LOL. Cheaper too!

Ok, it'll probably blow up next week, but it managed better than the others so far. On the bright side I can probably do a turbo swap on a 16v PD in less than 30mins whilst blindfolded. 😂

So for me I'd be avoiding motor factor supplied (or pretty much any) reconditioned unit. As I suspect they are just cleaning up the housing, throwing in random quality cores, brief test and then sending it in hope it'll be OK. Exception is BTN (which I know are good but couldn't get delivered in time).

But sometimes the Chinesium comes up trumps if it's from a reputable supplier (i.e not via eBay drop-shippers and bedroom traders etc). With the amount of iffy CHRAs floating about with rebuilders pushing quantity/cost over quality. Outright totally new (so long as it's not counterfeit) or well reputed supplier is the way to go.
Blimey Ali B, that's an interesting write up. What PD was this on? I have a Passat B5.5 1.9 AWX 130 and a Golf Mk4 1.9 AJM 115
About 6 months ago I had the limp mode on the AJM so did the Mr Muscle trick....to be fair...so far it's been fine after that. I worked the actuator by hand while the oven cleaner was in there.....not ideal to do this trick, but the car now gets regular harder use, so I'm hoping the vanes stay pretty free...

The Golf had only done 42k miles, and has belonged to my mum since new - we flew to Hamburg and drove it out the showroom back in 2000 when importing a UK bound car saved about £5k off the on the road price compared the to UK.
Trouble is, it was 42k of short journeys, never driven hard etc....literally one careful lady owner 6 speed manual, bought it from my dad for £800...sports seats, sunroof, climatronic etc...nice little tidy car.

EGR valve only had a very thin layer of soot so I cleaned that for what it was worth, and inlet the manifold was clear.
Old 27 May 2023, 09:54 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Had a update on the repair, the main bolt inside the turbo had came off, can't be found anywhere so hoping it passed through the exhaust system
??? there are no "bolts" inside the turbo.
The only moving parts are the "turbine wheel and shaft", the "compressor wheel" and it's retaining nut.

If the nut had come loose (unlikely as it's LH thread) it would be in the air intake side not the exhaust.

Old 27 May 2023, 11:50 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 279 Likes on 249 Posts

Do not start it ask about the condition of the compressor wheel and check is it in the intercooler. If not then check the intake hose and hope its in one or the other. Meticulously clean the intercooler and hope for the best.
Old 30 May 2023, 03:03 PM
djpauloakley
Scooby Regular

??? there are no "bolts" inside the turbo.
The only moving parts are the "turbine wheel and shaft", the "compressor wheel" and it's retaining nut.

If the nut had come loose (unlikely as it's LH thread) it would be in the air intake side not the exhaust.
that's the the 1 mate the retaining nut, it was found inside the intake as you say. Collected the car today, drove 20 minutes before going back into limp mode, engine warning light on, power loss, increase in noise
Old 04 June 2023, 07:03 PM
djpauloakley
Scooby Regular

Started to run normally again, taken back to garage and it cam up something about electronic throttle body fault, code cleared and been fine nearly a week now and over 300 miles