Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2022, 06:19 PM
Jinshim
Scooby Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Engine noise question!

Hi all!

New to the forum - not to scoobys tho!
I'm currently looking at purchasing a JDM STI Hatch, been to see the car and its a beauty, been in the UK 1 year, done 100 miles in the last year, loads of history which is always nice!

Downside:
Car has a really rythmic ticking noise at idle, asked the dealer and previous owner and they have both said its where the car has sat for a long time and the oil has degraded, possibly causing the lifters to stick slightly.
Was wondering is this a common thing to happen to scoobys after theyve sat for too long?
I'm currently driving a 340r sti saloon and it has a similiar tick but no where near the same volume!?!

Ill attach the video I took of it below!

Thanks in advance
Nick

Old 15 May 2022, 06:33 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Someone can correct me on this, but pretty sure all Imprezas after 1996 have solid lifters with bucket shims. Not hydraulic. Therefore not self adjusting and nothing to "stick". Engine out to adjust by way of swapping shims, although better too loose than too tight.

Thin oil can make them sound louder. If so it'll be quiet when cold, noisy when hot.

Also a exhaust manifold leaking can make a similar ticking noise.

And the valves not seating correctly so it makes a ticking sound as a valve closes against the seat. But that's another can of worms....

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 May 2022 at 06:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 15 May 2022, 06:50 PM
Jinshim
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Someone can correct me on this, but pretty sure all Imprezas after 1996 have solid lifters with bucket shims. Not hydraulic. Therefore not self adjusting and nothing to "stick". Engine out to adjust by way of swapping shims, although better too loose than too tight.

Thin oil can make them sound louder. If so it'll be quiet when cold, noisy when hot.

Also a exhaust manifold leaking can make a similar ticking noise.

And the valves not seating correctly so it makes a ticking sound as a valve closes against the seat. But that's another can of worms....

Thanks for the reply mate!
I'm guessing the first two are pretty easy fixes?
Either swap out to a thicker oil or replace the manifold gaskets?

Where would you go from here? - I've asked for a full service on the car to get some fresh oil into the motor and go from there!

Really torn would love a jdm scooby but also dont want a lemon!
Old 15 May 2022, 08:46 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

My jdm hatch has only sounded like that when a spark plug worked loose. Jdm hatch injectors can tick a bit, but that would bother me. My question would be why it hasn't been fully serviced prior to selling. , and I would have a compression and leak down test
Old 15 May 2022, 08:50 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

I think the owner and dealers explanation is questionable. They should have a record of its oil type, but I totally agree that a manifold/ downpipe leak can be a possibility. It would be good to hear it rev a bit on the audio. Definitely not right.

Last edited by hedgecutter; 15 May 2022 at 08:52 PM.
Old 15 May 2022, 08:58 PM
Jinshim
Scooby Newbie

Rightio! Dealer did show me the service history, brains gone blank, it was last serviced July 2021, has done 100 miles since then.
Service was oil + filter change, NGK plugs and cam belt done.

When I go for another viewing, I'll take some more videos with a rev included!

Could be possible that when they changed the plugs they didn't tighten properly?

Thanks for the advice
Old 16 May 2022, 07:25 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Tricky one, but if it was me, I'd be walking away from that one...thinking what I've never had I'll never miss etc.

The 100 miles in the last year could be other potential buyers test drives and deciding not to risk it.....
Can you ask the dealer for a copy of the export / import report?

"the dealer and previous owner and they have both said its where the car has sat for a long time and the oil has degraded, possibly causing the lifters to stick slightly.".....cool story bro(s)
Old 16 May 2022, 09:07 PM
Jinshim
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
Tricky one, but if it was me, I'd be walking away from that one...thinking what I've never had I'll never miss etc.

The 100 miles in the last year could be other potential buyers test drives and deciding not to risk it.....

"the dealer and previous owner and they have both said its where the car has sat for a long time and the oil has degraded, possibly causing the lifters to stick slightly.".....cool story bro(s)
I think you may be right with the first sentence there, Ill do one final check on the car tomorrow but as of now its looking like a miss...

Bit of a shame but better safe than sorry eh
Old 16 May 2022, 09:18 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D

I could be jumping to worst conclusions; But a recent cambelt...I wonder if it was done by someone who never read the warning about turning the right hand cam pulleys the wrong way and kissed the valves against each other (The inlet valves can touch the exhaust valves). If the tick is from the near side (passenger side) I'd definitely suspect a valve seating issues caused by a whoopsy when aligning the right hand cam pulleys (as they always spring off when removing the belt).

I would be really curious as why a car is stood unused for so long...why?
Old 16 May 2022, 09:20 PM
Jinshim
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I could be jumping to worst conclusions; But a recent cambelt...I wonder if it was done by someone who never read the warning about turning the right hand cam pulleys the wrong way and kissed the valves against each other (The inlet valves can touch the exhaust valves). If the tick is from the near side (passenger side) I'd definitely suspect a valve seating issues caused by a whoopsy when aligning the right hand cam pulleys (as they always spring off when removing the belt).

I would be really curious as why a car is stood unused for so long...why?
Video was taken from drivers side -

Update:
Just had a fresh MOT and has failed on emissions, this one is going to be a miss I think a lot of red flags starting to pop up.

I really appreciate the input guys