Sponsored by:

Name 5 things you love & 5 things you hate about your car

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2021, 06:10 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default Name 5 things you love & 5 things you hate about your car

sitting at home bored so thought i would ask this just for a laugh, doesnt have to be a subaru.

my current daily is a 2006 jeep grand cherokee 3.0crd with 147k on it

5 things i LOVE about my car -

1- i love how reliable it is, i would drive this thing around the world without opening the bonnet its that bloody reliable,
2- i love how cheap service parts are, 10 litres of low ash merc oil in a box is around £40 and a fiver for an oil filter
3- i love how american it is inside, big cup holders and chunky plastics but everything serves a purpose and everything works........excellent stuff
4- i love the torque from the merc engine, feels like i could tow an oil tanker
5- i love the visual parking sensors (1 on the dashboard and in the rear,roof mounted so can see it in the rear view mirror) means you dont have to turn the stereo down and listen for the beeps from the bumper sensors.

5 things i HATE about my car -

1- i hate how expensive the tax is, £600 per year for a car thats worth about 50p
2- i hate how thirsty it is,around town is awful
3- i hate the slow auto box,now this may be down to lack of fluid changes in its life but its very slow at changing sometimes
4- i hate the price of replacement parts, a new key is £450 and brake lines/pipes are sky high aswell
5- i hate the stupid ignition barrel, you have to push the key in to release it and it always feels like your going to break the key

best car ive owned without a doubt, paid £1500 for it 3 years ago and been everywhere in it and it has never let me down, be a sad day when it comes to the end of its life

The following users liked this post:
Old 17 July 2021, 10:36 AM
Gazza82
Scooby Newbie

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I’ve got a 58 plate Honda Civic Type R as my daily.

5 things I love:

1. The reliability. It has been one of the most reliable cars I’ve ever owned. It gets driven very hard and just comes back for more! 150k miles and still going strong.

2. Fuel consumption on a run. When I bought it, a lot of people told me how bad they were on fuel even on a motorway run. Just cruising when I’m collecting or dropping off my daughter (60 miles each way), I average about 38-40 mpg at 70 mph, I don’t think that’s bad at all!

3. Handling. The FN2 was slated for its handling when it was released due to it not having the independent rear suspension of the EP3. Honestly, I think it handles really well and I’ve managed to keep up with EP3’s no bother on the twisties. Ok I have Eibach Pro Kit springs on mine but I don’t feel it changed the handling at all.

4. The seats. I find them really comfy (I believe they’re Recaros) and hold you quite firmly in the twisties (helped by the fact I’m fat probably! ). I hurt my back a few years ago and it’s one of the few cars I don’t get back pain in after a while.

5. The space. For a small car, the amount of room in them is huge! I had a Volvo S60 a few years ago (needed an auto for a while as I broke my ankle - hated the thing!) which isn’t a small car and it was tiny inside! The Civic is like a limo inside compared to that!

The things I hate:

1. Build quality especially the interior. All interior plastics feel really flimsy, delicate and cheap. Seems to be not uncommon on Japanese cars in general though.

2. The digital displays on the dash. They’re crap. End of. They’re ok but only when they’re working which is the problem. Twice I’ve had to replace the main dash cluster as the displays have failed in 3 years and now the radio display is playing up.

3. The ride quality. When I first bought it, I was considering removing the shocks and springs and welding in some scaffold tubing instead just to soften it up! The suspension as standard is proper hard!! I fitted Eibach Pro Kit springs in the end and that really helped but it is still pretty firm but I can live with it now.

4. The paint. The lacquer peel is horrific. Japanese paint is bad anyway and everyone told me that red is the worst colour on the Hondas but it was a decent car for the money (only paid just over £2k for it 3 years which was cheap for an FN2). Most of the lacquer has now fallen off the front bumper and the wing mirror covers look like they’ve got a disease! To be fair to the car though, it has never had any bodywork at all so after 150k miles and 13 years, I’m not surprised it’s a little tired.

5. The brakes. These seem to suffer with sticking callipers and I’ve changed 3 out of the 4 of them now so it’s a case of when not if!!

All in all, it’s been a good car that has just lapped up the abuse it gets. I’d have another one
Old 17 July 2021, 12:11 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Gazza82
I’ve got a 58 plate Honda Civic Type R as my daily.

5 things I love:

1. The reliability. It has been one of the most reliable cars I’ve ever owned. It gets driven very hard and just comes back for more! 150k miles and still going strong.

2. Fuel consumption on a run. When I bought it, a lot of people told me how bad they were on fuel even on a motorway run. Just cruising when I’m collecting or dropping off my daughter (60 miles each way), I average about 38-40 mpg at 70 mph, I don’t think that’s bad at all!

3. Handling. The FN2 was slated for its handling when it was released due to it not having the independent rear suspension of the EP3. Honestly, I think it handles really well and I’ve managed to keep up with EP3’s no bother on the twisties. Ok I have Eibach Pro Kit springs on mine but I don’t feel it changed the handling at all.

4. The seats. I find them really comfy (I believe they’re Recaros) and hold you quite firmly in the twisties (helped by the fact I’m fat probably! ). I hurt my back a few years ago and it’s one of the few cars I don’t get back pain in after a while.

5. The space. For a small car, the amount of room in them is huge! I had a Volvo S60 a few years ago (needed an auto for a while as I broke my ankle - hated the thing!) which isn’t a small car and it was tiny inside! The Civic is like a limo inside compared to that!

The things I hate:

1. Build quality especially the interior. All interior plastics feel really flimsy, delicate and cheap. Seems to be not uncommon on Japanese cars in general though.

2. The digital displays on the dash. They’re crap. End of. They’re ok but only when they’re working which is the problem. Twice I’ve had to replace the main dash cluster as the displays have failed in 3 years and now the radio display is playing up.

3. The ride quality. When I first bought it, I was considering removing the shocks and springs and welding in some scaffold tubing instead just to soften it up! The suspension as standard is proper hard!! I fitted Eibach Pro Kit springs in the end and that really helped but it is still pretty firm but I can live with it now.

4. The paint. The lacquer peel is horrific. Japanese paint is bad anyway and everyone told me that red is the worst colour on the Hondas but it was a decent car for the money (only paid just over £2k for it 3 years which was cheap for an FN2). Most of the lacquer has now fallen off the front bumper and the wing mirror covers look like they’ve got a disease! To be fair to the car though, it has never had any bodywork at all so after 150k miles and 13 years, I’m not surprised it’s a little tired.

5. The brakes. These seem to suffer with sticking callipers and I’ve changed 3 out of the 4 of them now so it’s a case of when not if!!

All in all, it’s been a good car that has just lapped up the abuse it gets. I’d have another one
i agree on most points HOWEVER your point about the room inside in my opinion is rubbish lol, im 6ft 8 and rather big with it and i really struggled with leg room around the steering wheel because of the size of the dashboard,head room wasnt so much a problem though. my ep3 type r was fine for both head and leg room.
your correct about the calipers sticking, we bought an 09 plate with 40k on it from honda with a 2 year warranty on it and the N/S front caliper stuck on whilst my wife and her mum were on the motorway leaving them stranded on the side of the m69. we had only had the car 6 weeks and they tried telling us that the warranty wouldnt cover it as breaks are a wear and tear item.the only thing they would pay for is a piston seal for the caliper, a strong worded email stating that we would return the car for a full refund as it was not fit for purpose soon had us with a new caliper,front discs and pads and a fluid change along with a courtesy car

i too couldnt believe how hard the std suspension was, i honestly thought someone had put coilovers on it and set them to rock hard setting,it was funny watching my wifes shirt tatties bouncing all over the place though

Old 17 July 2021, 08:44 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

2003 Sti

Things I love-

1-The rear wing
2-The unequal header noise!
3-The way the boost comes in - old school delivery!
4-The wheels
5-The fuel economy - It makes me laugh how bad it is!

Things I hate!

1- The dash cup holder! WTF!
2- The standard speakers - they are in the bin now!
3- The way the rear shocks start knocking after a few years (if you are lucky to get that long!!)
4- The pathetic horn - sounds like a toy car!
5- The way it seems to shed its rubber seal under the rear wing every few years and starts to rub the paint away!
Old 17 July 2021, 11:26 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

2007 STi Spec D fully forged 342 hp / 410 lb ft

Love :
1) Keeping up with M135i / Golf R drivers - they hate it
2) The 6 speed gearbox - it laughs at me and says "Is that all you've got?"
3) A full on STi in pretty much WRX clothing (and widetrack going un-noticed to the untrained eye)
4) I don't get much burble, but it barks through the lower gears
5) Very rare car, 1 of 300 - about 100 on the road now

Hate :
1) The fear of doing a HG (again)
2) The fear of doing a block (again)
3) The fear of the wooden Brembo brakes
4) Rear suspension
5) £600 a year road tax

Old 20 July 2021, 05:32 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

2003 WRX

1: the way it goes for a cheap family saloon
2: the way it holds the road, piece of p!ss to drive
3: the sound it makes
4: how utterly reliable it has been for the last 13 and a half years we’ve owned it
5: how surprisingly good it felt after handing back a £200,000 super car I’d had use of for four days (and 2 tanks of petrol!)

1: the alarm going off at 3:30am and not being able to disable it
2: the completely pointless dim switch
3: lack of folding rear bench seat
4: annoying squeaky seatbelts
5: the fact it’s quicker and easier to change a set of brake pads than it is to replace headlight bulbs (and especially sidelight bulbs)
Old 21 July 2021, 11:54 AM
RetroPug
Scooby Regular

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
2003 WRX
5: the fact it’s quicker and easier to change a set of brake pads than it is to replace headlight bulbs (and especially sidelight bulbs)
Pop the grille out
Undo the bolts that hold the headlight in
Pull the headlight out

Once this has been done once and bolts have been lubricated with anti-seize this takes a few minutes per side.
Old 21 July 2021, 12:11 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

MY05 Spec C type RA

2. Subtle looks compared to a standard STi
3. Sounds great on boost without being intrusive
4. the whine the box/dif make
5. It stands out from the million BMW, Audi, VW, etc...

Dislike:
1. Short ratio gearbox on a long motorway drive
2. White paint never sparkles like a colour does
3. People saying "it doesn't sound like a scooby"
4. Every BMW and Audi driver tailgating and looking for a tear-up
5. The sound of every spec of dirt hitting the underside due to no sound deadening