Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Servicing ?

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2008, 02:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Servicing ?

What do they actually do, I personally never get my car serviced at a garage as generally by the time they I sell them they get bought on condition rather than an official history, I am not bothered if it devalues it as I save a fortune on dealer servicing during my time with the car and if you px you get pennies anyway, FSH or not. I only get official services for the newer cars and thats only for warranty reasons. With the current situation with car prices, is it worth bothering ?

So, I have never had a car conk out through neglect or me missing something and I dont do an official service, I record what I do and then repeat as neccessary. On my Saab Aero over the last ten months, I have,

Changed the oil and filter (Mobil 1)
Changed the Air Filter
Changed the Fuel Filter
Changed the Spark Plugs
Changed the Cabin Filter
Checked the pads and disks for wear
Check PAS fluid level, top up as appropriate
Checked the tyres for damage/wear
Checked underbonnet for leaks
Lubricated the door hinges
Lubricated the bonnet release
Lubricated the gear change mechanism
Inspected suspension for play/leakage/cracks
Inspected Exhaust system for leaks
Check all the bulbs

So far I havent, but will when I feel it needs it,

Changed the Brake Fluid
Changed the Coolant
Checked the cam chain
Change the Gearbox oil

I have spent less than £100 on servicing it, I do it as I go rather than run it for several thousand miles and then do it all in a day whether it needs it or not.

I can see how arsing about with engine oil isnt for everyone but I work with computers so enjoy it, but am interested to see if I am missing anything ?

I get the feeling that sometimes you put a car in to the nice shiny showroom and it then stands there for a day, the trainee has a quick look, goes for the chips at lunch in it, maybe changes the oil and then gives it back and the nice lady hands you a bill for £200 plus quid, invariably forgetting to stamp the book. I just get the feeling, sometimes stuff doesnt get done or done wrong, like when Halfrauds argued the toss after filling my Volvo T5 with Magnatec (Semi Synth) when told to use full synthetic , also like when I dropped my Manta GTE off and waited for a lift and two oily oiks got in it and bollocked it senseless whilst I watched in horror.

I am not keen on 20k intervals, is this due to advances in engine and oil technology or more to impress fleet managers who just need to run the car for 3 years ? are these cars surviving high milages when on their second or third owner.

Any thoughts ?
Old 30 August 2008, 07:56 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just serviced my own car on my drive, I own an MG ZT and plan to run it for a fair few years yet so the service history won't matter by the time i get rid.

I agree as to doing my own servicing, the workers in main stream dealerships are invariably trainee's and i don't trust them for anything, never have done.
I have a reliable independant garage for any major works, otherwise i do everything myself
Old 30 August 2008, 08:44 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

If you keep your receipts, then any perspective purchaser can be reassured the car has been looked after. My wife's car gets serviced by a amte and has bi annual oil change at National Tyres for £21 a time. Inside the oil filler has no deposits whatsoever, the camshaft is as clean as the day it left the factory. I attribute this to 6 month oil changes. I doubt that car with 20k intervals would have that appearance. After all, the bi products of combustion have to go somewhere. The 4 litres or so in your sump are all that there is to carry the debris.
Old 31 August 2008, 01:54 AM
bigvern
Scooby Regular

Paid £100 for three years servicing with a main dealer for the wife's Ford. Its still under warrantee so it has to be serviced by a 'professional'. Anything outside of that I'd do myself - brakes etc.
Old 31 August 2008, 07:51 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

only have a car serivced at the dealers if it is under waranty. wifes primera is now 3 years old and will not have another garage service. resale price is so low that the benefit of fsh isn't worth the cost imo.
Old 31 August 2008, 06:21 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I've just bought a cambelt and oil for my 5 year service from Alyn. No way am I paying 500 quid for a main dealer to change the oil and the cambelt for a car that's only worth about 6-7k at a push.

Also, last time the servicing manager told me that the car didn't feel much faster than an rb320, so it's not going back there
Old 31 August 2008, 07:34 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Can't really fault you J4CKO

Personally, I'd change the brake fluid every two years or so...as you probably know, it's hydroscopic...it absorbs water. people will tell you that this makes the fluid boil at a lower temperature and you'll lose your brakes! I think that's largely bollox, however. Pistons do seize up, as do bleed nipples causing much aggro. For the cost and effort involved, I'd do it.
Old 31 August 2008, 08:47 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

So, can nobody think of anything I am missing, I was thinking perhaps reading fault codes as the only thing I could come up with.

Changing the oil/filter is the key, I reckon if you do nothing else thats the one thing you cant skimp on, mine is doing very litle mileage and uses very little oil, I think its done about 3,000 miles this year due to hving a short commute and I am now cycling a fair proportion of the time, plus we have another car, one thing I am not sure on is whether to change it after 12 months, 3,000 miles on 50 quids worth of Mobil One seems extravagent and I bet there is plenty of life left in it, I dont think it degrades with time the same as a mineral oil so should I change it or give it longer, I think I could, at that milage leaveit in four years, I wont but I doubt it would make much difference. Would I be better using cheaper stuff (Still Synth, i.e. Halfords) more often ?

Last edited by J4CKO; 31 August 2008 at 08:52 PM.