Sponsored by:

Storing my car?

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2003, 11:19 PM
wrxjoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys,
I am off to the middle east probably in the next day or two, for possibly six months :-(.

Hoping some of you might have a few suggestions as to what I should do to the car before I leave (lots of people have been ever so kind and suggested I leave it with them - I think maybe not). Obviously hope I get enough notice for me to give the salt a thorough wash off. Not sure if I should disconnect the battery or not, what with the alarm problems that, that might cause, then again will the alarm flatten the battery anyhow?
I am also due an oil change but thought I'd leave that till I get back. This made me wonder if this next idea is a good one; I'm thinking that as the oil will have drained down into the sump, I could remove the drain plug straight away without running and thus warming it up, avoiding sending any debris in the oil back round the engine?
Jacking the car up and putting it on blocks leaving the wheels off the ground, is not an easy thing to do, due to lack of space in the garage. hopefully the tyres will be ok?
So if anybody has any other ideas I really would appreciate it.
Old 12 February 2003, 01:20 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
leaving a car stood for 6 months is one of the worst things you can do. You really need to prepare the car for that length of storage or have a friend run the engine up once a week. One of the things you should do if it is going to be stored is oil the bores to stop the piston rings seizing.

I would seriously consider either storing it in a dedicated storage site or having someone take care of it and keep things moving.

Also, insurance, you can buy storage insurance very cheeply so if some ****** breaks in you will be covered. It's about £100 for £12k worth of cover for 12 months i think.
Old 12 February 2003, 09:50 AM
max speed
Scooby Regular

Smile

we can store your car here in our workshops and change the oil and run it once a week. we are fully coverd for this.
you can take a photo of your milage if you like but we also sugest the car has a run once a month for a couple of miles hand brake and gearboxs doo stick too! but thats up to you? you are welcome to come and have a look round it will fit in with all the other scoobys here. ring or email me 07074484555
Old 02 December 2003, 02:52 AM
stormangel25
Scooby Newbie

Cool

if leaving your car to stand for along time, as storm is at moment! remember to put it into 1st gear and leave the handbrake off, or it be all seized up when you return! another suggestion is rent a garage from someone/where and keep the keys and you know its safe!! or ask your dealership if they would mind looking after it and make a note of your milage!!! take a photo of it if need be!
if you can do the oil change before you go as leaving old oil in can damage the engine too.. and clean oil means a healthy car when you return!

[Edited by stormangel25 - 2/12/2003 2:55:16 AM]