Sponsored by:

Info before I buy

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2020, 01:38 PM
Hank_Scorpio
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info before I buy

I'm due to change my car in the very near future, I've always wanted to go with a WRX STI and given the clampdown on emissions I think this will be the last chance to enjoy one.

The bugeye has really grown on me over the last few years and is the most likely choice. I'd like to know how they'd do as a daily driver with them being around 20 years old. Travel to and from work is a little over 100 miles a week, mostly b roads. I understand if be in the low 20's in terms of fuel economy, a major hit in what I'm getting now (30+ mpg) I'm willing to take that hit.

My concern is reliability, again it is 20 years old, but parts are fairly easy to get, with the aftermarket support. What are the likely troubles I'd run in to? I'm aware of the rust from the inside out, but not sure how common it really is. There is a possibility of travel to the UK to pick up a decent one, buying private would probably be better from an enthusiast, hopefully they'd be a bit more honest about any issues, but it's still essentially buying blind. I'm in Ireland (south) and STI's are pretty rare on the market, usually tatty and overpriced. So a trip to UK might be better.

What would I need to look for, as in getting photos of chassis, what to ask about and what am I looking at in terms of using as an only car. Any info would be great.

If this is in the wrong forum or against rules delete if necessary.

Thank you.
Old 29 October 2020, 01:55 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Mate throw fuel economy out the window. When you're on the twistys you will be hammering it more than likely. Do not buy this car for fuel economy. I repeat, do not buy for fuel economy.

To put it into perspective I fill up about £70 of v power, I don't even think I get 70 miles in the city. Mine is heavily modified so not a direct comparison.

Rust is the biggest one, take the lining of the boot out and have a good look at the turrets, underneath the car and within the arches. Have a good feel in there, all the way up if you can.

Depending on budget have a look at importing one yourself.
Old 29 October 2020, 02:50 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Spot on what nossy said mate. This one looks ok from the outside but obviously check for rust like nossy said

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Im...cAAOSwOe5e2YWK
Old 29 October 2020, 03:01 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johno01
Spot on what nossy said mate. This one looks ok from the outside but obviously check for rust like nossy said

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Im...cAAOSwOe5e2YWK
Good spot there mate

If you're serious about going to look at it I would check the underside because the last few MOTs mentioned tyre wear on the outer edge and prior to that it failed on the front ARB mounting. To me that means it needs tracking or hasn't been properly changed. Although subsequent MOTS look clean. Lets be honest most of whats on there should be taken with pinch of salt lol. But it can be a good indication

The following users liked this post:
Old 29 October 2020, 05:00 PM
Hank_Scorpio
Scooby Newbie

I've seen a few of the horror stories, arches look alright from the outside, moving the carpet around the struts reveals the true horror. Same with sills but patience should pay off in finding a good one within budget. I'll have a look at the costs of importing, I've just been browsing a few sites and adding up maintenance and running costs. All seems to work out nicely in my head.

MPG I know will be rough, especially for the first few months. I'm lucky to have no town driving really, 5 minutes in traffic, if I'm unlucky, the rest back roads, or motorway on boring days. 70 miles per tank though, that would sting a little.

Rust and the engine are the biggest concerns, alignment, standard wear & tear and minor bodywork would be easily sorted and wouldn't be a financial disaster. At least that's what my head is telling me. What are they like in terms of reliability? Ignoring the 2.5 engine
Old 30 October 2020, 12:14 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hank_Scorpio
I've seen a few of the horror stories, arches look alright from the outside, moving the carpet around the struts reveals the true horror. Same with sills but patience should pay off in finding a good one within budget. I'll have a look at the costs of importing, I've just been browsing a few sites and adding up maintenance and running costs. All seems to work out nicely in my head.

MPG I know will be rough, especially for the first few months. I'm lucky to have no town driving really, 5 minutes in traffic, if I'm unlucky, the rest back roads, or motorway on boring days. 70 miles per tank though, that would sting a little.

Rust and the engine are the biggest concerns, alignment, standard wear & tear and minor bodywork would be easily sorted and wouldn't be a financial disaster. At least that's what my head is telling me. What are they like in terms of reliability? Ignoring the 2.5 engine

I hardly used to do any mileage, walk to work etc so even though it was my only car I didn't drive it loads. But when my mileage went up I wanted something a bit more daily if you know what I mean.

The cars that you are looking at mate should be reliable if looked after.
Old 30 October 2020, 05:03 AM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I imagine finding a bug without rusty arches/turrets would be like looking for a needle in a haystack these days and the price of a genuinely non-rusty example would very much put it in the 'garage queen investment' category rather than a car that you could use daily and enjoy and put miles on without seriously losing money on it.
Old 30 October 2020, 03:36 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Hi, I've just copied and pasted an answer from a similar question:

nicam49 , 16 September 2020 06:15 AM
Scooby Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoad
Rust is the big thing to check for. Especially check on the inside of the rear wheel arches for rot as they can rot from the inside out. Just because it looks ok on the outside does not guarantee how it is underneath.
As above, 'cept they also rot from the inside in. The inner wing is a double-skin, and there is no protective liner, the rot is really very high up inside the wing and not detectable without either putting it on a lift or taking the rear wheels off so you can get a camera phone way up inside to take pics. (I think it's called the rear turrets) Often by the time it's detected, it's an mot fail. Plenty of them being broken up for that reason. Also around 100k the head gaskets start to fail...
Have a read of this thread...
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...d-through.html
Old 30 October 2020, 08:46 PM
Akram124
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know you have said you are looking for a bugeye but the blobeyes are ulez compliant even though they are euro 3 as nox emissions are under the threshold.
Old 31 October 2020, 09:44 AM
Hank_Scorpio
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the helpful information, especially with the blobeye, I'll take a look at them. Insurance is proving difficult, despite in my 30's with full no claims. For some reason Irish insurers don't like cars over 10 years old.
Old 31 October 2020, 02:04 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hank_Scorpio
Thanks for the helpful information, especially with the blobeye, I'll take a look at them. Insurance is proving difficult, despite in my 30's with full no claims. For some reason Irish insurers don't like cars over 10 years old.

Theres a guy on TikTok, Irish car journalist he was saying about your 10 year insurance thing. Do you guys have a classic car broker equivalent, We have a few here in Britain. Keith Michaels etc