Poss buying a 330s

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2015, 10:42 PM
Seano1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poss buying a 330s

Iv been away from the sti scene for a few years now 6 years I think 😱
but I'm looking for a new car and iv been wanting to buy an Audi s3 2010 sportback auto
But a silver sti 330s has cought my eye on autotrader 45k fssh just had an rebuild in July last year under warranty Pistons I believe (I'm assuming the head gaskets were changed too) there's a few other tastey bits on it
But the question is what are these car like to live with day to day now? My last sti was a spec c and was just a toy so I can't compare it to that and before that was a hawkeye sti so it's too far back to remember
I'm not wanting big loud exhaust any more but something that looks good and has a bit of go as well when the foot goes down
But I'm not wanting a tin box either
Any help or adv would be great if anyone had one
Old 15 March 2015, 12:08 AM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have a forged hatch, running 345/400 with a full 3" milltek decat system, its fine as a daily driver, and quiet on the Mway at 80+ and compared to my classic which I had for ten years and the build quality is way way better, paint finish is also better.
As for buying one - if you've had one before then you will know the importance of history - if the 330 has been rebuilt, find out WHY? and EXACTLY what work has been carried out - don't second guess it. or you could get bitten.

Importantly - test drive it, loads of people have opinions but the only one you should listen to is your own

Personally - I Love my hatch, so does my son, who sold his 350z and just bought a JDM STI hatch.
Old 15 March 2015, 11:58 PM
Seano1
Scooby Regular

Thanks audiman for the reply. Its been a good few years since iv even been in a Subaru so I'm not sure what to expect plus there's no chance of a road test as its down south so I'd just hopping I still like them I will give him a phone during the week and try and find a bit more about the rebuild and stuff like that
Old 16 March 2015, 02:44 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The newer ones are way better now, streets ahead of the old classics, and even the blobs, performance on mine is explosive ! (I know I'm running a bit more that standard), but it really flies !, plus it's a good car to live with as well, fuel consumption is better than the older ones too - not that that should affect your decision as they have never been great !, maybe see if you can drive one locally?,

Ian
Old 16 March 2015, 05:55 PM
Ryanj1993
Scooby Regular

As AudiMan (my dad) has said, check the rebuild history. You say its been re-built but with what? if its not been built with forged pistons then its just a likely to go bang as it was before...

Good luck with your search, they're one hell of a car, just make sure you buy the right one.
Old 16 March 2015, 07:33 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Have had loads of subarus now and my 330s is by far the best to live with day to day and the extras the 330 comes with are a very nice touch the make the inside a very pleasant place to be and makes even the longest of drives very easy
Old 16 March 2015, 10:07 PM
Seano1
Scooby Regular

Great guys thanks for the help
I spoke to the guy on Friday but he doesn't give much away on the car I need to ask all the questions as he's not very forthcoming with answers and stuff
If I'm selling a car i don't shut up on the phone with all the good things about the car
This guy might think I'm a time waster but I'm a genuine buyer took me three days to just get the guy to answer his phone!
As far as the rebuild it was done under warranty so prob just be standered parts
Old 17 March 2015, 12:00 AM
scoobysteve1983
Scooby Regular

i use my 09 sti as a daily driver but i don't do a lot of miles as i live quite close to work. its got the ppp and the prodrive springs, so apart from the extras the 330s is more or less the same to drive. i love it, its a comfortable ride. a bit too soft for my liking (and soon to be sorted) but thats just my opinion. reasonably quiet depending on tyre choice. with a few tweaks they are a very capable drivers car. yes you will take a gamble with the engine internals being renowned for failures but if the price is right and you are in a position to afford a possible rebuild should it go wrong then i would go for it.