Considering getting an Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2010, 09:40 PM
FlauM
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering getting an Impreza

Hey people,

I currently drive a Ford fiesta zetec s and i've had it since I was 18.

It's done its job so far but as I'm 20 now, I'm looking at getting something more of a family car but with a fair bit of power for when I'm 21... E.G an Impreza

I'm mostly interested in a Turbo 2000 model and I've read quite a few positive reviews on the web about it. The only really negative things are apparently it drinks fuel (but what's expected if you drive a turbo like a mad head) and it's supposedly costly on servicing? If someone could clarify this it'd be a help.

Next, I'd like to know about the type of things I need to look out for when buying the car so I don't go and buy one that's been abused by a chav and is about to go bang on me.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum area.

Ty, Jon
Old 19 December 2010, 09:44 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

how old is your zetec s im in the market for one welcome to scoobynet btw
Old 19 December 2010, 09:44 PM
NEILB1
Scooby Regular

my only advise is hope you have deep pockets and have no problem filling up every week, with these fuel prices they are expensive to run
Old 19 December 2010, 09:48 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your talking about a car that is 10+ years old, it will cost a fair bit to maintain, 6 month oil changes and depending on what year model your buying, some differences in belt changes, either 36 or 48 months.
What sort of budget do you have in mind and you need to look around for insurance, its not going to be cheap

Tony
Old 19 December 2010, 09:49 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

hey mate, I had a mk5 zetec s before my 03 WRX iv got now - im still on zsoc/ukfn if your on any of them?

I dont think theyre as costly as people sometimes make them out to be (except fuel costs, be prepared), providing you dont buy a dog lol.
Servicing costs arent massively more than alot of other cars these days imo. Parts are quite pricey however, esp compared to old ford bits.

Fuel costs are high yes, i find im forever filling up whether im booting it or not, and i dont even do many miles lol.

Have you done some insurance quotes yet? Im 23 and its a fair whack

Last edited by djandyg; 19 December 2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 19 December 2010, 09:51 PM
FlauM
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by nick schofield
how old is your zetec s im in the market for one welcome to scoobynet btw
It's W plate but I wouldn't sell my Zetec S to anyone I'm afraid.

The previous owner must've treated it awful because a few months after I bought the car, it was burning oil badly so I dropped a 1.7 Puma lump in it.

It's got various problems with it so I'm gonna break it when I (hopefully) get an Impreza.

Thanks for the replies people.

Could you tell me what the average MPG is in realistic figures and not book figures lol
Old 19 December 2010, 09:53 PM
FlauM
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by djandyg
hey mate, I had a mk5 zetec s before my 03 WRX iv got now - im still on zsoc/ukfn if your on any of them?

I dont think theyre as costly as people sometimes make them out to be (except fuel costs, be prepared), providing you dont buy a dog lol.
Servicing costs arent massively more than alot of other cars these days imo. Parts are quite pricey however, esp compared to old ford bits.

Fuel costs are high yes, i find im forever filling up whether im booting it or not, and i dont even do many miles lol.

Have you done some insurance quotes yet? Im 23 and its a fair whack

£2300 is the cheapest I found But I pay £2000 for my zetec s at the moment anyway so it doesn't really affect me.

And yes buddy I'm still on ZSOC

And I also find I'm forever filling up my lil Fiesta even driving it like a Grandad

Trending Topics

Old 19 December 2010, 09:59 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlauM
£2300 is the cheapest I found But I pay £2000 for my zetec s at the moment anyway so it doesn't really affect me.

And yes buddy I'm still on ZSOC

And I also find I'm forever filling up my lil Fiesta even driving it like a Grandad
Ouch, £2300 is more than id ever be willing to pay on insurance ill be honest lol...

My advice to you would be to spend as much time as possible doing research on here before you buy.....its worth knowing a bit about these cars before you own one. I did around 7 months of homework on here before i actually bought mine, im so glad i did as well (and being an apprentice mechanic im not exactly dumb with cars either, yet still learnt a lot of important info in that time)

My ZS had a full decat milltek etc, i used to rag it everywhere - but it was still a darn sight better on fuel than an impreza lol, so like i say, be prepared! Also remember you will only be running on super unleaded or V-power, which is gettin on for around the 130p a litre mark now
Old 19 December 2010, 10:01 PM
DannyM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djandyg
V-power, which is gettin on for around the 130p a litre mark now

WHAT!? i'd kill to see it that low around here!
Old 19 December 2010, 10:03 PM
scoobysti2006
Scooby Newbie

try aviva for your insurance, i found them the cheapest at the moment, there also doing two months free for new online customers. bargin i say.

Last edited by scoobysti2006; 19 December 2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 19 December 2010, 10:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

You can run a UK car on 95 ron with no issues (with the exception of the P1 and 22B in classic shape which require 97+ ron standard), but they respond better with 97+ and give better performance and fuel economy, so it works out similar pence per litre/per mile.
Also you need to know that a standard Impreza turbo isnt exactly the fastest car on the road, you will be shocked what will pass you, or atleast give you more than a run for your money (renault clio 172's etc).

Tony
Old 19 December 2010, 10:42 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mate you should look into just getting a 2.0 sport as the insurance will cost more than the car for you on a turbo The non turbo's are still Awd and are a decent car to drive

Last edited by L.J.F; 19 December 2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 19 December 2010, 10:54 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I've a bugeye sport wagon, I've had a few wrx's and sti's in the past and you don't lose much apart from raw power. I'm getting mid 30 mpg and a turbo will be around 15 to 20 mpg. Good advice from the chap above of say.
Old 20 December 2010, 12:35 PM
lazadude
Scooby Regular

Or save up a but more and get a newage.... I'm 22 and I've got a hawk.... 2 grand to insure fully comp, but that's got a full 3" decat and remap on it... Great fun. I'm going to the other end if the spectrum, if you've got the money to make it legal... Go for it, think smiles per milenot miles per gallon....
Old 20 December 2010, 12:52 PM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

haha thats 2 i recognise from zsoc now!

and filling it every week? i wish, every 3-4 days for mine, worth every penny though!
Old 20 December 2010, 01:20 PM
scott64
Scooby Regular

the cost of running an impreza can cost you an arm and a leg mate, what with insurance and fuel etc etc , mine does about 23-25mpg and thats driving it like a fu*king nun ... it drops down to about 15mpg when im on a club run
if you are sure you want an impreza try to get the best you can and as standard as possible, with more service history the better if you get a modded car then you could be looking at the mpg dropping but if you do decide to get a scoob they are fantastic motors mate and i would recomend one to anybody
Old 20 December 2010, 01:34 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Check your insurance quotes first. Then you can decide if you can cope with 20mpg. Yes, you might get a little more than that, but not a lot. I've had a uk turbo 2000 and two sti's and I rarely saw more than 25mpg with mixed driving. I did however see 37mpg from the uk turbo on a scorching hot day and I drove at 50 for all of that in 5th (following father-inlaw! ).

Servicing and maintenance is not too bad unless you need to replace the clutch (£500 minimum at a garage) or even worse, an engine rebuild (minimum £2k at a garage).

If I ever bought one again, I would only do so if you had £2000 tucked away for a rainy day, otherwise you are going to struggle if thing go wrong.

They are expensive cars to run, don't kid yourself they are not.
Old 20 December 2010, 01:57 PM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

hi being 21 the insurance will kill you at least 2k and that will be with limited miliage.

i don,t go for top end speed i like my scooby for the quickness of the lights,had rs turbo`s and a sierra cosworth all are expensive to fix properly,scoobys are no differant

mines only 240bhp and the clio 172 i raced couldn,t keep up but then i knew the roads so i knew what speed to go.

yes they drink fuel and trust me you will need a second car like a tdi

but then these car`s are classed as a hobby.

what other people spend on drink,****,remote control cars,helicopters,xbox,ps3,quad bikes,banger racing.my brother does scooba diving

they are all expensive hobbys trust me i done most of them evan scaletric which cost me a packet.

all i can say is invest in tools and try as much as you can like i do i did my scooby clutch took me 2+ days on my own and £25 on clutch alainment tool and the whole thing only cost me £256 with gearbox oil and other parts

plus i can say to others i did that would think twice about doing it on my own again ,

and try buying the best scooby you can evan if it looks standard ,remember ask for service history,don,t be afraid to ask questions take a torch and check and check my car cost me £1950 and all i done in 12 mths is 2 services ,new cutch but they can go anytime luck of the draw and this week the battery is dead ,droped a cell though the cold weather
Old 20 December 2010, 04:15 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Wink

Jon,
to answer the questions:
mpg 15-30 depending on how you drive (mad or sensible on m/way respectively)
Servicing varies on what you have done, but a minor (oil and checkup) about £145
middle one with some more fluids (brake, coolant) about £250 and a biggie at about £650 (thats with a cambelt change).
Dont be frightened off by the talk of big costs etc, so long as you look after them they are very reliable (had mine 9 years now - NO major issues) and the most reliable car I've ever had.
Tax on mine is £210 (Classic shape) can be £400+ I think for the newer ones?
Also don't be put off by the "not the fastest blah blah", I'd put my 10 year old motor up against a 172 or CTR anyday, and bet I wouldn't need clean pants after going round some fast tight corners !! (3 wheels?? what's that all about ?). For sure there are many quicker cars out there, but few put a smile on the face like a scooby does..
Old 20 December 2010, 05:58 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by birchy2010
haha thats 2 i recognise from zsoc now!

and filling it every week? i wish, every 3-4 days for mine, worth every penny though!
Only difference being the ZS's tank is 38L, and the scooby being a 60L tank....with more expensive fuel.

I do maybe 6-7000 miles a year though so im not too worried.
If you get one then try and go for a standard one if you can find one.

My blobeye had 52k on the clock, totally standard, FSH, 1 owner from new and was owned by a guy just about to turn 50.
Which was perfect for what i was looking for, but took a bit of searching for one like that to crop up!
Old 20 December 2010, 08:17 PM
FlauM
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies people and I understand it's more pricey than my zetec s but at the end of the day I hardly drink, don't smoke and barely play ps3. I just seem to work work work so I'd love to have a decent motor to enjoy on my days off. Just need to find one that ain't been abused
Old 20 December 2010, 08:53 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Plenty of decent low mileage examples available (with fsh)

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2205284.htm
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2213999.htm
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2339989.htm

They are out there, you will have to travel for a good one though.

Tony
Old 20 December 2010, 09:09 PM
FlauM
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for looking Tony they look mint
Old 20 December 2010, 09:21 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but at the end of the day I hardly drink, don't smoke and barely play ps3. I just seem to work work work so I'd love to have a decent motor to enjoy on my days off. Just need to find one that ain't been abused

Sounds like you need two weeks in Thailand with the lady-boys not a scooby
Old 20 December 2010, 09:27 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You wont go wrong with a well kept UK spec classic.
Old 20 December 2010, 09:33 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

To give you an idea on daily running costs:

Fuel depending on how you drive can range from 18 - 30mpg (fast road driving with plenty of boot - but not track day driving to the painfully early change ups with the touch of a feather duster). That will see you making anywhere from 200 to 330 miles (330 the most ive ever got) depending on your driving style and route.

(4.55l to gallon so 50l / 4.55 = 10.99. 50l before the tank light comes on = 10.99 gallons. 200 / 10.99 = 18.2mpg, 330 / 10.99 = 30.03mpg)

Im currently on an eco run - change up before 2.5k and not exceeding 2.5k in 5th, and should be good for just over 300 miles before the petrol light comes on.

The last fill up cost me just over £70 on Tescos finest Momentum.

Servicing isnt extortionate - £180 - £200 for the basics, just under £400 for the full works at my local.

Insurance is £2200 with Admiral, but thats due to the previous Impreza meeting up with the central reservation safety barrier courtesey of diesel and oil on a roundabout exit. Before that it was £1500 on 2 years NCB.

Just my experience of owning an Impreza - hope it helps.
Old 21 December 2010, 09:06 AM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Plenty of decent low mileage examples available (with fsh)

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2205284.htm
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2213999.htm
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2339989.htm

They are out there, you will have to travel for a good one though.

Tony
They are indeed.. the top one is mine.

Sad sad day, but needs must.

Ian
Old 21 December 2010, 05:19 PM
FlauM
Scooby Newbie

I'm confused.

I was interested in the Turbo 2000 because it had fairly decent performance figures but when I look at the 2.0 WRX (I'm assuming it's a non turbo) it has almost similar if not better performance figures.

So would it be better (fuel wise) to get a 2.0 WRX?

Or is the 2.0 WRX a turbo :S?

Last edited by FlauM; 21 December 2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 21 December 2010, 05:26 PM
millsy3
Scooby Regular

wrx and sti are turbos mate
Old 21 December 2010, 05:37 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

I'm confused.

I was interested in the Turbo 2000 because it had fairly decent performance figures but when I look at the 2.0 WRX (I'm assuming it's a non turbo) it has almost similar if not better performance figures.

So would it be better (fuel wise) to get a 2.0 WRX?

Or is the 2.0 WRX a turbo :S?
As said mate, all WRX and WRX STI models are 2.0 Turbo (2006 onwards 2.5L)

Non-Turbo models are sports or GX sport models

Quick Reply: Considering getting an Impreza