Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Merc or Vectra?

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2013, 07:36 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Merc or Vectra?

I'm just about to give up my company car due to the amount of tax I'm paying on it and my company trying to push us out of company cars.

So, I'm looking at supplying my own car. I do around 20k business miles a year and have other cars for fun. I'm able to source an E220 for £320 a month on a personal lease but I keep thinking that I can buy an Vectra Cdti 150 for around £4500. I need a car less than 6 years old and no 4x4's or sports cars, ie it must have 4/5 doors. Any suggestions?
Old 17 January 2013, 09:05 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The way i'd look at it is by my rough calculations they even out cost wise at 14 months and 23,000 miles and after that the vauxhall is £320pm in your pocket, but only if nothing goes wrong.

If you keep it for 3yrs and 60,000 that equates to £11,500 or a £7680 saving over the cost of the merc.

Question is do you want to drive a merc or have ish £8k in your pocket.

So as long as the vauxhall doesn't cost more than £4k in bills per year, which i doubt it would your going to be quids in.

I'd take the vauxhall as it's only for work, i have a mate that uses a petrol vectra sri and get's ish 40mpg and has had no problems for 2 yrs, i was at his place last month and he told me he'd not serviced it for 18months. i said it's probably about time he changed the oil.

Quick edit to say, he's not changing the oil, he's trading it in for a new shape civic type r, and he does that every couple of years with a bit more mileage than you, but he doesn't like diesels because they cost more in the end and he's been doing it a good few years now, nott's to milton keynes every day so all motorway at 70/80mph, bit of food for thought.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 17 January 2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 17 January 2013, 11:06 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
The way i'd look at it is by my rough calculations they even out cost wise at 14 months and 23,000 miles and after that the vauxhall is £320pm in your pocket, but only if nothing goes wrong.

If you keep it for 3yrs and 60,000 that equates to £11,500 or a £7680 saving over the cost of the merc.

Question is do you want to drive a merc or have ish £8k in your pocket.

So as long as the vauxhall doesn't cost more than £4k in bills per year, which i doubt it would your going to be quids in.

I'd take the vauxhall as it's only for work, i have a mate that uses a petrol vectra sri and get's ish 40mpg and has had no problems for 2 yrs, i was at his place last month and he told me he'd not serviced it for 18months. i said it's probably about time he changed the oil.

Quick edit to say, he's not changing the oil, he's trading it in for a new shape civic type r, and he does that every couple of years with a bit more mileage than you, but he doesn't like diesels because they cost more in the end and he's been doing it a good few years now, nott's to milton keynes every day so all motorway at 70/80mph, bit of food for thought.

lol, I know where you're coming from! I'm no badge snob and the Vectra is fine by me, I guess I'd rather have the £££££ in my pocket.

Yes, the car will be the work horse.

It's just that the Merc is such a good deal - the C class is more expensive as this E class is the run out model before the face lift in a few months time. I have the cash in my pocket so maybe I'll buy the Vectra...... Or maybe not......
Old 17 January 2013, 06:07 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Until I read you post in full Graham, I was going to point you in the direction of an old classic Merc. But 18-20mpg probably isn't adequate
Old 17 January 2013, 06:45 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Until I read you post in full Graham, I was going to point you in the direction of an old classic Merc. But 18-20mpg probably isn't adequate
No mate, not really, nor with it being over 6 years old lol
Old 17 January 2013, 10:00 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's a workhorse then even as a bit of a Merc fan I would just buy the Vectra and keep the extra cash.

The money you save you can use to buy a weeknd/fun luxury car if you so wish, loads of cheap Jags, Mercs, BMWs around nowadays.
Old 17 January 2013, 10:19 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
If it's a workhorse then even as a bit of a Merc fan I would just buy the Vectra and keep the extra cash.

The money you save you can use to buy a weeknd/fun luxury car if you so wish, loads of cheap Jags, Mercs, BMWs around nowadays.
Yes, you're right. The money could be better spent elsewhere.