Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New purchase advice please. Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2019, 11:40 PM
Stratts77
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New purchase advice please. Help!!

Hi guys I am returning to this Forum after a long break from Subaru Ownership.

A little bit about my intentions. I have decided to give up the boring diesel sensible hat and consider buying another STI. That's the easy bit now the dilemma!!

I have only ever owned a Classic STI and Bug Eye STI with the 2.0 engine which I loved!!

I am looking for a pristine example only I can keep garaged and use for fun days and the odd show maybe.

I initially was going to buy a new 2016-2017 STI I went to a local dealer who had a grey one in the showroom and I loved it!! Really nice as a daily driver.

However, I am very worried about buying a 2.5 due to the weak piston rings and really don't want any big issues or worries.

Therefore, I thought I might look for an older model in mint condition. This is my options with 2.0 engines.

1 )UK spec Blobeye 2.0 2004 or 2005.

Things I like are the Subaru burble I really like!!

Things I am not sure of is how strong the UK 2.0 engines are compared to the 2.5 or JDM.

2) JDM spec Blobeye 2004 with only 24000 miles in Blue.

Things I like are the colour, super low miles and JDM reliability and strength.

Things I don't like is the lack of Subaru burble.

3) JDM spec Hawk Eye Spec C with only 45000 miles in silver.

Things I like is the shape of the Hawkeye and the reliability and strength on engine.

Things I am not sure of are the Spec C been worth it for my use. I don't like the fact the side skirts are removed and obviously the sound with lack of burble.

What is your guys opinions of the above three options. The JDM Blobeye and JDM Hawkeye Spec C listed above are actual cars I am considering. The UK Blobeye I would need to find a mint low mileage example.

Would you guys rather have the 2004 24k miles blue JDM Blobeye or the 2006 45k miles silver Hawkeye JDM Spec C.

Or would you look for a mint low mileage UK Blobeye with the typical Rumble sound.

I would love to hear some useful honest opinions please. How strong is the UK 2.0 compared to the JDM? Do they have similar internals other than headers and twin scroll turbo? Are they safe to mod compared to the JDM?

Just to put you in the picture I will not be tracking the car only using it for quick fun B road blasts and shows etc. I am looking at tuning up to 350-400bhp max really as it is enough for me on the road and I want it to be 100% reliable.

What's your thoughts.

Last edited by Stratts77; 31 December 2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01 January 2020, 12:07 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

If you like the burble and the Hawkeye shape I would look for one that's been rebuilt/forged.
Old 01 January 2020, 12:14 AM
Stratts77
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
If you like the burble and the Hawkeye shape I would look for one that's been rebuilt/forged.
I considered this but it really hard to find a pristine example.
The two JDM examples are mint literally!!

​​Even the underneath and engine bays. The only thing is the sound. I liked the burble rumble when I had all my STI' s in the past. But the JDM models do offer some added bonuses don't they.
Old 01 January 2020, 11:42 AM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by the shreksta

Or buy a looked after higher mileage uk hawk 2.5 sti and budget for a build if the head gaskets let go.

At least you would know that the build is good having done it during your ownership.

I have had rebuilds on 2.0 and 2.5 so IME they are about as reliable as each other out of the box, the internet will tell you the 2.5 is more prone to failure but the 2.0 is far from bulletproof.

Built properly they are both excellent engines but the 2.5 would be my choice personally.

I now have a forged MY15 sti and its a great car, I’m actually still running in the engine, the bug blob and hawk are just a bit old for me now and from experience your always ploughing time and money into a 10-15 year old car.

All in my experience and just my opinion.

Good luck.

Siv.
Old 01 January 2020, 11:49 AM
Stratts77
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sivo
Or buy a looked after higher mileage uk hawk 2.5 sti and budget for a build if the head gaskets let go.

At least you would know that the build is good having done it during your ownership.

I have had rebuilds on 2.0 and 2.5 so IME they are about as reliable as each other out of the box, the internet will tell you the 2.5 is more prone to failure but the 2.0 is far from bulletproof.

Built properly they are both excellent engines but the 2.5 would be my choice personally.

I now have a forged MY15 sti and its a great car, I’m actually still running in the engine, the bug blob and hawk are just a bit old for me now and from experience your always ploughing time and money into a 10-15 year old car.

All in my experience and just my opinion.

Good luck.

Siv.
I have never drives a 2.5.

I went yesterday to a local dealer who has a 66 plate grey STI in and must admit I loved it. I thought with it been modern I could actually daily drive it. However, if I bought an older one I would not.

The only issue is the 2.5 engine and failures.

Can I ask how much it set you back to forge your 25 plate lease and who carried out the work. Has it made any difference to the drive and does this mean the issues go away and you can modify safely?

How does the 2.5 drive compared to the 2.0.
Old 01 January 2020, 12:26 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stratts77
I have never drives a 2.5.

I went yesterday to a local dealer who has a 66 plate grey STI in and must admit I loved it. I thought with it been modern I could actually daily drive it. However, if I bought an older one I would not.

The only issue is the 2.5 engine and failures.

Can I ask how much it set you back to forge your 25 plate lease and who carried out the work. Has it made any difference to the drive and does this mean the issues go away and you can modify safely?

How does the 2.5 drive compared to the 2.0.
There are many variables regarding cost dependant on how much power you want to aim for.

Anywhere from 3.5k for a refresh and new pistons.

Mine was built by Darren at Central subaru in the West Midlands, CDB conversion by AS performance.

Mine is built for a safe 450, if you want to go above that power on a 2.5 then buy a 2.2 block and start again with the strongest block subaru ever built.

As I always say, it’s all just my opinion and what I have learned over the years.

Go and drive a 2.0 and 2.5 back to back and see what suits you.

Just to add, 400 bhp on a 2.5 impreza is a seriously fast road car that is beyond the limits of skill to a high percentage of drivers, learn to use it to its full potential and you will never need to go above that power level.

Siv.
Old 01 January 2020, 12:42 PM
Stratts77
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sivo
There are many variables regarding cost dependant on how much power you want to aim for.

Anywhere from 3.5k for a refresh and new pistons.

Mine was built by Darren at Central subaru in the West Midlands, CDB conversion by AS performance.

Mine is built for a safe 450, if you want to go above that power on a 2.5 then buy a 2.2 block and start again with the strongest block subaru ever built.

As I always say, it’s all just my opinion and what I have learned over the years.

Go and drive a 2.0 and 2.5 back to back and see what suits you.

Just to add, 400 bhp on a 2.5 impreza is a seriously fast road car that is beyond the limits of skill to a high percentage of drivers, learn to use it to its full potential and you will never need to go above that power level.

Siv.
Thank for info.

I would want max 400bhp but ultra reliable and safe.

So if I see a nice clean 2.5 it would cost approx 3.5 k to forge it to safely run 400 bhp. That's good info👍

At least I have the options now and budgets to compare.

Thanks for your help. 👍

Trending Topics

Old 01 January 2020, 12:45 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Thank for info.

I would want max 400bhp but ultra reliable and safe.

So if I see a nice clean 2.5 it would cost approx 3.5 k to forge it to safely run 400 bhp. That's good info👍

At least I have the options now and budgets to compare.

Thanks for your help. 👍
No problem, welcome back and happy new year.

Good luck with your search.

Siv.
Old 01 January 2020, 12:57 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

The 2 litre can be very laggy a twin scroll jdm sti 2 litre less laggy , a 2 litre sti jdm wagon with 340 bhp v a 2.5 forester sti with only 300 bhp , the forester was much quicker off the line , when the 2 litre got more on boost it was more even but the forester was still quicker, the 2 litres are more reliable the 2.5 less , the extra torque in a 2.5 makes a lot of difference , power wise v economy reliability etc , i would look at around 350 or so bhp , yes a forged 2.5 is a very good route to go , if it’s not forged there is a possibility of a failure at some point so just consider a budget to cover it , if it does fail always do a full rebuild as if top end goes then within a year the bottom end will normally fail ,
Old 01 January 2020, 05:00 PM
SimonCZ
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lot's of good advice above.
I recently went through similar process, bought a mint 2005 blob widetrack UK sti with the intention of keeping it forever. Intended use was similar to you, weekends etc. While the car was mechanicaly sound and buletproof, there is no getting away from the fact that these are 15+ year old cars now and they will need attention. I loved the car and it was a proper "rally car" experience and an event to drive but I found I was constantly worried about corrosion (which is a huge issue on these), weak paint etc etc and found that the car still tends to attract idiots on the road. After 18 months and despite spending £££ on making the car perfect and sorting out all the little niggles, I sold it at a loss and replaced it with a 2.5 hatchback sti. Still is an amazing car when you want it (and is faster and handles better than the blob) but is a much more enjoyable package as a whole car and flies nicely under the radar. Having owned both, I prefer the 2.5 engine for a road car although the ringland failure is a worry...
Old 01 January 2020, 07:10 PM
Stratts77
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SimonCZ
Lot's of good advice above.
I recently went through similar process, bought a mint 2005 blob widetrack UK sti with the intention of keeping it forever. Intended use was similar to you, weekends etc. While the car was mechanicaly sound and buletproof, there is no getting away from the fact that these are 15+ year old cars now and they will need attention. I loved the car and it was a proper "rally car" experience and an event to drive but I found I was constantly worried about corrosion (which is a huge issue on these), weak paint etc etc and found that the car still tends to attract idiots on the road. After 18 months and despite spending £££ on making the car perfect and sorting out all the little niggles, I sold it at a loss and replaced it with a 2.5 hatchback sti. Still is an amazing car when you want it (and is faster and handles better than the blob) but is a much more enjoyable package as a whole car and flies nicely under the radar. Having owned both, I prefer the 2.5 engine for a road car although the ringland failure is a worry...
Its a hard decision.
I would love to buy the new shape and use it daily but the cost of the car is around £20000 then to think you may get engine issues is just crazy !!

I have seen two absolutely immaculate examples of JDM as mentioned in my post.

One a Blue JDM Blobeye with only 24 k miles it is truly mint everywhere but £16000

Two a Silver JDM Spec C Hawkeye with 45 k miles again truly mint everywhere.

These are from a dealer I trust and are both truly mint examples.

I have looked and found some clean examples of the 2.5 Hawkeye but not as clean as these two imports. They are from 12k - 15k anyway so not a lot in it really.

It's a tough choice. The 2.5 is very appealing but it's just the engine issues. And are they as good as the JDM really?

I did consider initially like I said a new STI and really like them or maybe a 370 z to drive daily.

Old 02 January 2020, 12:37 PM
Danjo
Scooby Regular

Received 226 Likes on 128 Posts

I went through something similar recently and ended up buying a mint low mileage 2015 WRX STI after much deliberation. I spoke to a number of well known tuners who all advised me that the 2015+ engines do seem to be more reliable than the earlier engines, but they do still have their failures. Id always budget a rebuild on any car that I bought as these cars are always driven hard and its very difficult to know the entire history of a car unless you have owned it from new, especially an import. This is my 6th Sti now and by far my favourite, the handling is just so much better out the box than any others Ive owned and the torque of the 2.5 engine is just sublime! I'm very happy wit my decision and have put 10k fault free miles on the car so far. Just ensure you keep on top of maintenance, warm it up and don't over-rev it and they can be reliable.

Old 02 January 2020, 07:56 PM
Stratts77
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Danjo
I went through something similar recently and ended up buying a mint low mileage 2015 WRX STI after much deliberation. I spoke to a number of well known tuners who all advised me that the 2015+ engines do seem to be more reliable than the earlier engines, but they do still have their failures. Id always budget a rebuild on any car that I bought as these cars are always driven hard and its very difficult to know the entire history of a car unless you have owned it from new, especially an import. This is my 6th Sti now and by far my favourite, the handling is just so much better out the box than any others Ive owned and the torque of the 2.5 engine is just sublime! I'm very happy wit my decision and have put 10k fault free miles on the car so far. Just ensure you keep on top of maintenance, warm it up and don't over-rev it and they can be reliable.
Hi buddy thanks for your reply.
Must admit I did like the 66 plate one I sat in!!
Do you daily driver yours.
How does it feel power wise to your old Subarus. Does it still have that rally feeling? I know they are not really straight line cars and are beaten by most hot hatches like the Golf R and RS Focus.

Old 06 January 2020, 10:39 AM
Danjo
Scooby Regular

Received 226 Likes on 128 Posts

Hi buddy thanks for your reply.
Must admit I did like the 66 plate one I sat in!!
Do you daily driver yours.
How does it feel power wise to your old Subarus. Does it still have that rally feeling? I know they are not really straight line cars and are beaten by most hot hatches like the Golf R and RS Focus.
I have been daily driving mine and its been faultless. It's a little raw compared to other cars, but I can live with it and actually do 100 miles a day in it. It feels just like any other STI I have owned to be honest, although this probably handles better out the box than any other car I have ever had. It's a very quick car too, don't be fooled into thinking that its any less quick than those other cars, 0-60 times do not tell the true story as the STI has much shorter gearing so needs to shift into 3rd for the 0-60 dash which hampers its time. I have owned a GOLF R and test driven a Focus RS and the STI feels no less quick, and I would say is much more accomplished when sprinting cross country. Plus the other two really are so dull looking. I have owned 2 x STI RA classics and a Type R and I think this feels on par with those in the acceleration stakes.